Contribute
Register

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard "blended" solution for installing OS X 10.10.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably something to do with the configuration rather than the bootloader itself. For the highest GB score you probably want nullcpupowermanagement, all of the generatecstates/pstates stuff disabled, drop the stock ssdt, and if you are overclocked try generating an ssdt for your overclock with ssdtrprgen. I generated some overclocked ssdts a while back, they're somewhere in the mavericks thread.

I was actually using one of the SSDTs that you created & posted over on the 10.9.4/10.9.5 thread :mrgreen:
I also used nullCPUPowerManagement kext. But I think the cstates/pstates stuff was enabled. I'll try that on my next go-round. THANKS!!! :thumbup:

Hi BoomR,

I've been following your posts on various threads about your x99 install and I was wondering if you could give some advice for a first-time hackintosh installer with a similar x99 build. Let me apologize for my ignorance in advance, but I have never done this before and I think I may have bit off a bit more than I can chew. First mistake was probably getting an x99 for a first time install.

Anyway, from what I can gather from the various threads on the subject, the most success for a system like mine has been with the "blended' solution that you describe in this thread. Until now I have been trying the Unibeast/Multibeast method from this thread. I have been able to intstall Yosemite and start the installation from the USB bootloader, but have run into trouble when it comes to booting directly from the drive.

Would you be able to describe the steps you used to get your system running from bios settings to final install? I know it's a lot to ask but I'm having trouble piecing together all the different methods. I'd greatly appreciate any help from anyone in this thread for that matter.

Thank you!

Yes - I would agree...right now, for a first-time build, X99 is the LAST thing you want to be doing IMHO. But of course too late to take it all back & get 8-series :crazy: :mrgreen:

I pretty much followed the instructions at the top of the X99/10.10 build that you linked & was able to successfully (well, as successfully as you can make an X99 build right now) get my machine built. Getting iMessage working with iCloud is not a big priority for me...iMessage still works with other messaging accounts (Google, AOL, etc). So IMHO, the the "blended" approach would be too much to tackle right now. Most threads will tell you that the Clover option is a more "advanced" option - so as a first-timer, I think you might be best to stay with UniBeast/MultiBeast.

Post some detailed specs on your build & let's see what we can do about getting you up & running.

Hi BoomR,

I've been following your posts on various threads about your x99 install and I was wondering if you could give some advice for a first-time hackintosh installer with a similar x99 build. Let me apologize for my ignorance in advance, but I have never done this before and I think I may have bit off a bit more than I can chew. First mistake was probably getting an x99 for a first time install.

Anyway, from what I can gather from the various threads on the subject, the most success for a system like mine has been with the "blended' solution that you describe in this thread. Until now I have been trying the Unibeast/Multibeast method from this thread. I have been able to intstall Yosemite and start the installation from the USB bootloader, but have run into trouble when it comes to booting directly from the drive.

Would you be able to describe the steps you used to get your system running from bios settings to final install? I know it's a lot to ask but I'm having trouble piecing together all the different methods. I'd greatly appreciate any help from anyone in this thread for that matter.

Thank you!
Since you have Yosemite already installed directly to the hard drive and are able to boot into it using the Unibeast USB drive, you got the pre-reqs required and are in the exact right position to install clover.

I never used Multibeast to install Chimera to the internal volume, i switched directly to clover at that point. So download the clover bootloader and install it using the settings I posted.

For the record, the reason we need a hybrid approach is because--to my knowledge--no one knows how to get the patcher kernel working with clover hence the need to use chameleon for the initial install.

Oh, and btw, your issue, you remembered to copy the patched kernel from the usb drive to the hdd right?

Yes - I would agree...right now, for a first-time build, X99 is the LAST thing you want to be doing IMHO. But of course too late to take it all back & get 8-series :crazy: :mrgreen:

I pretty much followed the instructions at the top of the X99/10.10 build that you linked & was able to successfully (well, as successfully as you can make an X99 build right now) get my machine built. Getting iMessage working with iCloud is not a big priority for me...iMessage still works with other messaging accounts (Google, AOL, etc). So IMHO, the the "blended" approach would be too much to tackle right now. Most threads will tell you that the Clover option is a more "advanced" option - so as a first-timer, I think you might be best to stay with UniBeast/MultiBeast.

Post some detailed specs on your build & let's see what we can do about getting you up & running.

First time hackintosher checking in
First build is x99
Bootloader is Clover

Couldn't have had any more fun any other way.

Since you have Yosemite already installed directly to the hard drive and are able to boot into it using the Unibeast USB drive, you got the pre-reqs required and are in the exact right position to install clover.

I never used Multibeast to install Chimera to the internal volume, i switched directly to clover at that point. So download the clover bootloader and install it using the settings I posted.

For the record, the reason we need a hybrid approach is because--to my knowledge--no one knows how to get the patcher kernel working with clover hence the need to use chameleon for the initial install.

Oh, and btw, your issue, you remembered to copy the patched kernel from the usb drive to the hdd right?

First time hackintosher checking in
First build is x99
Bootloader is Clover

Couldn't have had any more fun any other way.

Thanks for the response. I got it up and working today by following BoomR steps in this thread and the additional comments and answers from other users. I didn't realized that the nvidia web drivers installation was important until I tried to open Resolve and Premiere and my system crashed and rebooted. I have 2 zotac 770 gtxs installed and now I'm wondering if there is anything else I have to do to ensure they are both operational. I'm using the additional card for more CUDA cores and GPU processing power for Resolve and After Effects.

Also haven't got sound up and running yet and my media files do not play back in preview or quicktime player.

But, overall I'm in a better place than I was for the last week. Thanks to everyone posting here and tonymac!:D

Okay, so I managed over the course of the past 10 hours or so to get my X-99 deluxe/5960X combo running Yosemite using Unibeast installer, and Clover bootloader. Dual boot is working well, don't give a tinker's cuss about iMessage, have yet to try out the thunderbolt port with my Apollo 16, that's a trick for another day (never mind the fact that I have to upgrade Pro Tools to V11 in order to take advantage of my fancy new machine, so there goes another 700 bucks.) Many thanks to all of the people who have been involved in getting the machine to run, sometimes it was like deciphering Sumerian, but I made it through. :)

Next question I have is, how do I get my computer to recognize the overclock that my machine is running? I've got the machine OC'd to 4.3 GHz, but it looks like I'm only running at 3.56 on the Macintosh side, which is a significant loss of power. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the machine to recognize the proper OC value?

Many thanks for everyone's help again, and hope someone can help me out.

have yet to try out the thunderbolt port with my Apollo 16, that's a trick for another

Can I ask if you successfully got the card recognized in Windows or OS X? I have the same motherboard and I assume same thunderboltex II card, and I can't for the life of me get any device to mount, not even a simple thunderbolt drive.

I have the TB Header plugged in and I have installed drivers in Windows but I can't even get it to work in Windows. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks, and sorry I don't have anything for you!

I spent 10 hours getting the computer to realize it was a Mac today, so I didn't have much time to plug anything else in. ;)

that being said, I know that some people have had success by installing the thunderbolt drivers in Windows first. Have you tried that?

Edit: woof, I must've been more tired than I realized, completely spacing on seeing that you'd already done that. Perhaps it needs to be in a different PCI slot?

Last edited:
I spent 10 hours getting the computer to realize it was a Mac today, so I didn't have much time to plug anything else in. ;)

that being said, I know that some people have had success by installing the thunderbolt drivers in Windows first. Have you tried that?

I hear you! That was my last three days. I did install the Windows drivers and even tried to get it working in Windows but no dice. I emailed Asus support and they first told me that the card was not supported by my motherboard. When I told them it explicitly said that it was in the manual and on their x99 product page, they said it may work with 'reduced' functionality. Anyway, no luck yet. But if I find anything I will post here.

Good Luck!

I hear you! That was my last three days. I did install the Windows drivers and even tried to get it working in Windows but no dice. I emailed Asus support and they first told me that the card was not supported by my motherboard. When I told them it explicitly said that it was in the manual and on their x99 product page, they said it may work with 'reduced' functionality. Anyway, no luck yet. But if I find anything I will post here.

Good Luck!
Well, I know it should work, as there are a few people here (samtimbaud and BoomR each do, I think) who have it working (I think). Perhaps one of them can let you know how they got there?

Well, I know it should work, as there are a few people here (samtimbaud and BoomR each do, I think) who have it working (I think). Perhaps one of them can let you know how they got there?

Can I ask you one more question about your install? I posted this elsewhere, but you may know the answer since you have the same board:

I'm just running into two possibly related issues that I hope someone may be able to help me with.

Since installing I have been unable to playback video files in Quicktime or by previewing in Finder. In console I get this when opening video files:

2014-11-19 7:14:01.295 AM QuickTime Player[945]: 07:14:01.294 ERROR: AQMEIO.cpp:400: _FindIOUnit: error -66680
2014-11-19 7:14:01.680 AM sandboxd[1051]: ([1630]) storeuid(1630) deny mach-lookup com.apple.dock.server

When working in Premiere, I can open my projects no problem, scrub through video, but when I try to play, nothing happens.

My other issue that may be related, is that I do not have sound working. It is my understanding that I can use this patch:

https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC

However, I don't have the native appleHDA.kext installed for some reason. I want to avoid re-installing Yosemite (as suggested), so I extracted the kext from Yosemite installer via pacifist and installed using ikext, but the patcher still says that I don't have codecs installed at S/L/E.

Any suggestions? Are the problems related.

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back