Contribute
Register

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard "blended" solution for installing OS X 10.10.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
BoomR double check that you're dropping the stock ssdt. An ssdt cannot override another with the same name, that would be the most likely reason that it's not working I think. You can either drop both the CpuPm and CpuIst tables or just use dropoemssdt. I recommend the former.

And yeah, Intel power gadget will tell you for sure if you're not getting the full over clock.

Also, make sure the bus speed is correct. If you're using xmp it will set it to 125 MHz, if clover still thinks it's at 100 and that will certainly effect the GB score.

BoomR double check that you're dropping the stock ssdt. An ssdt cannot override another with the same name, that would be the most likely reason that it's not working I think. You can either drop both the CpuPm and CpuIst tables or just use dropoemssdt. I recommend the former.

And yeah, Intel power gadget will tell you for sure if you're not getting the full over clock.

Also, make sure the bus speed is correct. If you're using xmp it will set it to 125 MHz, if clover still thinks it's at 100 and that will certainly effect the GB score.

Hmmm...I'm following your instructions (or so I thought) here in this post & using one of the SSDT files you created:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...orary-guide-os-x-10-10-0-a-20.html#post906151

I've tried the config.plist both ways - the initial way you posted & the alternate as well. Both give me the low GB scores
:crazy:

And odd.... Intel Power Gadget never shows me anything but 3.5 GHz clock speed on my CPU, even though the GB report shows 4.38Ghz or something like that... I guess that was my clue that my OC was working...

Welp...I'll try it again this weekend & report back. Thanks everyone for chiming in for sure! :thumbup:

BoomR are you having any weird audio glitches or anything? I'm lemming towards it being a bus speed problem still. You didn't say whether xmp was enabled. But fwiw 4.38 GHz / 125 bus speed is around 3.5 multiplier... So if it thinks it's 100 mhz that would definitely leave the clock frequency at 3.5. Well, it would still be operating at 4.3, but everything would think it's running at 3.5.

BoomR are you having any weird audio glitches or anything? I'm lemming towards it being a bus speed problem still. You didn't say whether xmp was enabled. But fwiw 4.38 GHz / 125 bus speed is around 3.5 multiplier... So if it thinks it's 100 mhz that would definitely leave the clock frequency at 3.5. Well, it would still be operating at 4.3, but everything would think it's running at 3.5.

Apologies - yes XMP is enabled. Here's some more info on my settings (and a screen shot of my GB when just using UB/MB): http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...mporary-guide-os-x-10-10-a-34.html#post918063

Apologies - yes XMP is enabled. Here's some more info on my settings (and a screen shot of my GB when just using UB/MB): http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...mporary-guide-os-x-10-10-a-34.html#post918063

Post your config.plist so I can take a look

Also, save a boot.log from clover configurator. For some reason it saves it as boot.log.txt, so rename it to boot.log and open it in console and then search for fsb. You should see a few different messages about the detected fsb and then corrected fsb. If it says it's correcting it to 100 MHz or so, then set busspeedkhz to 125000. That parameter will need to be adjusted, but at least that should get it close if that's the problem.

Bus speed has been the cause of a lot of different problems for me in Clover. If it turns out that is the issue I'll see if I can walk you through getting it perfect so you won't have any audio glitches. A "legacy" Clover install typically detects bus speed more correctly, so usually I boot a legacy clover installation and just use whatever bus speed it detects. However, that trick might not work if it's 2 MHz off.

Let me know what you find.

Post your config.plist so I can take a look

Also, save a boot.log from clover configurator. For some reason it saves it as boot.log.txt, so rename it to boot.log and open it in console and then search for fsb. You should see a few different messages about the detected fsb and then corrected fsb. If it says it's correcting it to 100 MHz or so, then set busspeedkhz to 125000. That parameter will need to be adjusted, but at least that should get it close if that's the problem.

Bus speed has been the cause of a lot of different problems for me in Clover. If it turns out that is the issue I'll see if I can walk you through getting it perfect so you won't have any audio glitches. A "legacy" Clover install typically detects bus speed more correctly, so usually I boot a legacy clover installation and just use whatever bus speed it detects. However, that trick might not work if it's 2 MHz off.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks friend. I was going to try & do that today, but WAY too much stuff on the "honey do" list... I will do that in the next day or so. But first I need to re-do my install (as I reverted back to my original CCC backup image). Appreciate the help!
--B

You might already be doing this, but I use CCC in addition to time machine so I can experiment with things and still revert to older backups, but if everything goes to hell I can revert to my older clone.

On a side note I really need an x99 build but I have no money. When are tax returns again? Lol

Here is just an example of how much the bus speed in Clover can affect benchmarks... I think I set the BusSpeedKHz to like 200000 or something ridiculous like that. It makes all the animations and the clock slow, the audio is all messed up, and it gets crazy benchmark scores. As you can see this computer scores about 16k without cheating. BTW - This is probably a really bad idea.

I wonder if something like that is how somebody got this 2.97 GHz Mac Pro benchmark, with a 2.7 GHz CPU: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/375788 or perhaps they somehow miraculously managed to do the impossible and overclock the nMP.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-10-12 16.43.17.png
    Screenshot 2014-10-12 16.43.17.png
    186.2 KB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot 2014-06-01 13.27.25.png
    Screenshot 2014-06-01 13.27.25.png
    148 KB · Views: 111
You might already be doing this, but I use CCC in addition to time machine so I can experiment with things and still revert to older backups, but if everything goes to hell I can revert to my older clone.

On a side note I really need an x99 build but I have no money. When are tax returns again? Lol

I need to make a CCC image of the initial Clover install, too, so I can start messing around & tweaking. I hope to start working on this Tues afternoon. Stay tuned for more!! :)

I need to make a CCC image of the initial Clover install, too, so I can start messing around & tweaking. I hope to start working on this Tues afternoon. Stay tuned for more!! :)
It's also worth mentioning that I keep clover backups for different versions/configs/PCs on my home server as well as a USB drive. Just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back