Contribute
Register

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard "blended" solution for installing OS X 10.10.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post your config.plist so I can take a look

Also, save a boot.log from clover configurator. For some reason it saves it as boot.log.txt, so rename it to boot.log and open it in console and then search for fsb. You should see a few different messages about the detected fsb and then corrected fsb. If it says it's correcting it to 100 MHz or so, then set busspeedkhz to 125000. That parameter will need to be adjusted, but at least that should get it close if that's the problem.

Bus speed has been the cause of a lot of different problems for me in Clover. If it turns out that is the issue I'll see if I can walk you through getting it perfect so you won't have any audio glitches. A "legacy" Clover install typically detects bus speed more correctly, so usually I boot a legacy clover installation and just use whatever bus speed it detects. However, that trick might not work if it's 2 MHz off.

Let me know what you find.

OK - attaching my coffin.plist. Basically the only thing I've put in is my SMBIOS (iMac14,2) and the usual/customary: kext-dev-mode=1 npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1. Other than that, there is nothing else that I've done.

Are you suggesting that in Clover Configurator > CPU config page, I need to put in either the stock frequency (3.5) or the O'clocked (4.38)...as well as the bus speed (125000)? Also, on the "Boot" page, whenever I try to set XMPDetection=Yes, my system doesn't want to boot (I think). Or do the CPU settings and the XMP setting need to go hand-in-hand?
View attachment config.plist
View attachment bootlog.log.txt

TIA!
--B

UPDATE: My system also includes on of the SSDT files that you created - it's in EFI > Clover > ACIP > patched, and I've changed DropOem to "true" in the config.plist per your instructions here.

OK - attaching my coffin.plist. Basically the only thing I've put in is my SMBIOS (iMac14,2) and the usual/customary: kext-dev-mode=1 npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1. Other than that, there is nothing else that I've done.

Are you suggesting that in Clover Configurator > CPU config page, I need to put in either the stock frequency (3.5) or the O'clocked (4.38)...as well as the bus speed (125000)? Also, on the "Boot" page, whenever I try to set XMPDetection=Yes, my system doesn't want to boot (I think). Or do the CPU settings and the XMP setting need to go hand-in-hand?
View attachment 115559
View attachment 115560

TIA!
--B

UPDATE: My system also includes on of the SSDT files that you created - it's in EFI > Clover > ACIP > patched, and I've changed DropOem to "true" in the config.plist per your instructions here.
Don't worry about xmp detection for now, I've never really noticed a difference in usability for me From what I can remember. You don't need to put in any frequency manually except for the bus speed. The others are mostly just for cosmetics I think so I wouldn't bother.

Don't worry about xmp detection for now, I've never really noticed a difference in usability for me From what I can remember. You don't need to put in any frequency manually except for the bus speed. The others are mostly just for cosmetics I think so I wouldn't bother.

I've been playing with that XMP setting in CC again - no effect (I messed something else up before that caused me not to be able to boot the first time I tried the XMP setting).

So it goes here.... thusly??
Screen Shot 2014-11-25 at 7.08.19 PM.png

UPDATE: That didn't seem to work. Jut rebooted, grabbed a new boot log & FSB & corrected FSB are both still showing 100...
:banghead:

UPDATE 2: Went into UEFI BIOS & noticed that somehow, my Turbo got disabled. So I reloaded optimum settings & reset everything again. Still no joy....
:banghead: :banghead:

I've been playing with that XMP setting in CC again - no effect (I messed something else up before that caused me not to be able to boot the first time I tried the XMP setting).

View attachment 115561

UPDATE: That didn't seem to work. Jut rebooted, grabbed a new boot log & FSB & corrected FSB are both still showing 100...

UPDATE 2: Went into UEFI BIOS & noticed that somehow, my Turbo got disabled. So I reloaded optimum settings & reset everything again. Still no joy....

Thats weird... Busspeedkhz should override anything clover tries to do on it's own. I'll check out your config later.

Have you tried overclocking manually, without xmp? Just take note of all the voltages for your current setup, make sure the fsb is set to 100 MHz, and set the multiplier to 43. That's how it's done with sandy bridge, ivy bridge, and standard haswell, as I'm sure you know, so it's not like it's a bad workaround. This 125 MHz thing with xmp is very new and weird. Besides that, the xmp is just a preset for the ram timings and frequency AFAIK.

View attachment 115561

I would just run memory at 2666 which is a 100 bus speed. Most benchmarks show that a lower latency 2666 will out perform higher speeds up till 3000. However, it would be good to figure out this problem because sometime in the near future there will be 3600+ speed memory.

I would just run memory at 2666 which is a 100 bus speed. Most benchmarks show that a lower latency 2666 will out perform higher speeds up till 3000. However, it would be good to figure out this problem because sometime in the near future there will be 3600+ speed memory.

Yeah, and if you really want a higher frequency all you need to do is look at the timings and voltages it sets for the RAM in XMP mode and apply those manually with the FSB at 100 MHz and turn the multiplier up on the RAM.

@BoomR post your new config.plist and boot.log with BusSpeedKHz set to 125000.

Did y'all think to check or do a search for the ThunderboltII EX card? There is a "testing" thread with folks trying to get the cards working.

Better yet, will save you some time - check out this post for more info.

NOTE: the build quality & tolerances on the TB card itself is a little "off" - if you put the card in a PCIe slot so that you can use a case screw to secure the card, the card doesn't actually fit properly & all the way into the slot, nor does it make all the electrical contacts it needs. Make sure the card is seated fully in the slot (an initially do not secure to case with case screw), otherwise it will not work properly.

I had to get out my Dremel tool & carve out a new notch in the backplane so I could try & get it secured to the case at least a little bit.

Well, I've tried to get my thunderbolt up and running, and I think I managed to get it plugged in and running on the windows side (boy, you're not kidding about the tolerances being out on the build of this card, it's not even CLOSE to being right for screwing into the slot), but when I plug in a thunderbolt drive, and set things exactly like you say to do on your post linked above, I get the error message in the photo below when booting in verbose mode so I could see what was going wrong, before mentioning about a bluetooth controller support, and then it just turns the monitors off without powering down and stays that way.

Any guesses as to what I'm doing wrong? the only thing that I may've done weird was that neither of the devices that I have plugged in are qualified to run on a PC, but they do show up, regardless. I switched over the bios settings to Legacy mode and 128 instead of 32 on the other parameter you have there. if I don't plug in the thunderbolt drive, the machine boots fine. (plugging in a LaCie Little big disk).

Any guesses as to what I could be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 139
Well, I've tried to get my thunderbolt up and running, and I think I managed to get it plugged in and running on the windows side (boy, you're not kidding about the tolerances being out on the build of this card, it's not even CLOSE to being right for screwing into the slot), but when I plug in a thunderbolt drive, and set things exactly like you say to do on your post linked above, I get the error message in the photo below when booting in verbose mode so I could see what was going wrong, before mentioning about a bluetooth controller support, and then it just turns the monitors off without powering down and stays that way.

Any guesses as to what I'm doing wrong? the only thing that I may've done weird was that neither of the devices that I have plugged in are qualified to run on a PC, but they do show up, regardless. I switched over the bios settings to Legacy mode and 128 instead of 32 on the other parameter you have there. if I don't plug in the thunderbolt drive, the machine boots fine. (plugging in a LaCie Little big disk).

Any guesses as to what I could be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

No offense, but troubleshooting your TB card is somewhat OT for this post. I suggest you repost this over in the Thunderbolt testing thread where it may get more attention because it's on-topic over there. THANKS!!!
--B

No offense, but troubleshooting your TB card is somewhat OT for this post. I suggest you repost this over in the Thunderbolt testing thread where it may get more attention because it's on-topic over there. THANKS!!!
--B

No problem, will do, thanks.

Interesting side-note: I just ran GeekBench on the new seemingly-functional Clover install. My score took about a 3.4k nose dive under Clover (~23,400 vs the screen shot of my Chameleon-based build a couple posts back).
My X99 build will be my Music Studio 3.0 build :headbang:
Any succes with setting the bus speed to 125 ??

Also, has anyone got a stable OC that is recognizable my the Mac Os, too, with 5960x and Asus Deluxe or Ga UD4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back