Contribute
Register

Has anyone here attempted using a Coffee Lake CPU in a hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I managed a good install on the Asus Z370 ROG Strix using Coffee Lake i7-8700 >>here <<

Working:
  • WiFi
  • Sound
  • Bluetooth
  • AirDrop
  • HandOff
  • iMessages
  • NVMe SSD with APFS
  • USB
thanks for sharing this, i read you installation post.
i'm most probably choose i3 8100 or 8350k since it seems to perform as well if not better than i5 7400 and it'll give me the opportunity to buy a 300 series mb that will allow for a better processor upgrade in the future ( if i stay on 200 series i guess i'll be stuck on kany lake and it would make sense upgrading to a better kany lake cpu imho).

would you say that choise of mb is crucial to get a solid install of highsierra with coffeelake cpu ?
if so, do you have any suggestion ? budget is aroud 130 € max
thanks

thanks for sharing this, i read you installation post.
i'm most probably choose i3 8100 or 8350k since it seems to perform as well if not better than i5 7400 and it'll give me the opportunity to buy a 300 series mb that will allow for a better processor upgrade in the future ( if i stay on 200 series i guess i'll be stuck on kany lake and it would make sense upgrading to a better kany lake cpu imho).

would you say that choise of mb is crucial to get a solid install of highsierra with coffeelake cpu ?
if so, do you have any suggestion ? budget is aroud 130 € max
thanks

Thanks, sorry but It's hard to comment on other Z370 boards / builds as I have not tried them. But compatibility is looking good, there are some other fantastic Z370 guides with great success on this forum >>such as , and <<. Only tested Asus Z370 ROG Strix and it's been good and worked without problems for me.

The i3 8100 is non clockable and has no turbo so you would not be able to use Multicore Enhancement feature on the Z270 chipset, best to avoid that chip with a Z370 motherboard. But if overclocking is not an issue then you could wait for the non clockable budget 370 chipset motherboards to come on the market. Otherwise the i3-8350k would be good, if budget can stretch then i5. I'm not sure about the i3-8350k as it has no turbo boost then I don't think you will be able to use Multi Core Enhancement to easily clock the max turbo frequency , with i3-8350k you will be able to do a custom overclock.

Hi guys, i’d Like to get i3 8350k or 8100 over i5 7400...it would be my first build though and i’m Worried if it’ll be too much complicated to set the system up and running. Should I follow the normal installation procedure or the steps are different? Thanks

Also remember that the i5 7400 won't run on a 300-series mainboard, so for this CPU you'll need a 200-series MB. Such a system is already supported, so setting up as a Hackintosh should be as easy as can be.

But as far as I know the Core i3-8xxx(K) is basically just a rebranded Core i5-7xxx(K) without Turbo as both CPUs use the same silicon-die, so they should perfom almost the same, with slight differences resulting from different clock-speeds. As well, the Z370 is just a rebranded Z270. The point with the 300-series is that can upgrade to an 6-core i5-8600(K)/i7-8700(K) when needed, while a 200-series MB can only be upgraded to a quad-core i5/i7.
So keep that in mind as well.

Thank you. I'm really unsure on what cpu to go for. Maybe the i5 8400 or the i3 8350k or i5 7400.. total confusion

I managed a good install on the Asus Z370 ROG Strix using Coffee Lake i7-8700 >>here <<

Working:
  • WiFi
  • Sound
  • Bluetooth
  • AirDrop
  • HandOff
  • iMessages
  • NVMe SSD with APFS
  • USB
I'm running a MSI Z370 and a 8700K and I'm wondering how you got this working because I'm having all kinds of compatibility issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back