Contribute
Register

Has anyone ever attempted a imac G3 casemod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
uniwho said:
i made one that cooked into a kitty bed :)

I want one!!!!

Here's another interesting one :)

icast-rm-eng.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/28/appl ... mcast-mod/

this one was fun, even reused the speakers and power button/light
15inch lcd fit like a glove!

Attachments

• DSCF0208.JPG
    DSCF0208.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 3,270
  • DSCF0224.JPG
    DSCF0224.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 745
  • DSCF0228.JPG
    DSCF0228.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 1,838
  • DSCF0247.JPG
    DSCF0247.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 834
  • DSCF0248.JPG
    DSCF0248.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 734
  • DSCF0227.JPG
    DSCF0227.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 714
Seems as if this kind of mod would be better suited for an eMac. The case is slightly larger and despite having a CRT monitor, the screen is flat.

crash983 said:
Seems as if this kind of mod would be better suited for an eMac. The case is slightly larger and despite having a CRT monitor, the screen is flat.

You're right, the flat screen would make it soo much easier. I'd have to justify purchasing such a behemoth however. :lol:
tonymacx86 said:
lynspyre said:
Wow. That's a reallistic 3D LCD!. :lol:

zrtn_008p7d0936cc_tn.jpg

http://gadgetsin.com/tag/imacquarium

That looks so cool! I may have to do this. I've been meaning to get an aquarium started anyways... :idea:

this one worries me, only because you use hotglue in many situations,
a better adhesive would have been e6000 , it takes a little bit longer to set up
but will not get soft and like hot glue will from heat,

wunder said:
My iMac G3 Mod: click me ;)

uniwho said:
a better adhesive would have been e6000 , it takes a little bit longer to set up

wunder said:

I agree..Apart from that, it's a pretty clead mod..

zpowell1 said:
uniwho said:

wunder said:

I agree..Apart from that, it's a pretty clead mod..

Kinda depends on the glue - this from wiki:

Polyamides (PA), high-performance, for severe environments; high-temperature glues; typically applied at over 200 °C, but can degrade and char during processing. In molten state can somewhat degrade by atmospheric oxygen. High application temperature. High range of service temperatures, generally showing adequate bonding from -40 to 70°C; some compositions allow operation to 185°C if they do not have to carry load.

Either way it depends on where you are using it and the likely service temp.s. More than likely is that if what is stuck gets to a high enough temp to remelt the glue there is trouble on the way in any case. I do save my love though for JB Weld.

minihack said:
Either way it depends on where you are using it and the likely service temp.s. More than likely is that if what is stuck gets to a high enough temp to remelt the glue there is trouble on the way in any case. I do save my love though for JB Weld.

Well put. I've used regular hot glue on a few smal electrical things (macbook chargers, holding leads down, etc..), and while there was no heating problem, there was a stability issue. The glue kept peeling off and I had to eventually use good ol' JB weld. I can always count on JB to get me through!! :D

I have had great luck gluing plastic with 3 different glues:

ABS pipe cement from Home Depot....black color (have used on monitor cases)

PVC pipe cement from HD.....clear to white color (put an Apple USB connector back together)

Acrylic glue from TAP or other plastic suppliers...clear in a tube

All 3 have similar solvents and will glue many if not most kinds of plastics you will find aside from polyethylene which is pretty slippery stuff and not used much on computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back