Contribute
Register

Has anyone ever attempted a imac G3 casemod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While this technically wouldn't be a Hackintosh, it would still count as a casemod if my friend and I took an iMac G3 and put a C2D Mac mini in it, with LCD, and setting up the ports and all that crap, wouldn't it?

I am sure someone has attempted this mod.
I remember reading thread. I used to be able to pick these up for $25.
The main drawback is curved front.
Some G4 mods (flower pot) were able to salvage display for Hackintosh. Not simple !!

But with thin board and that has flat screen outputs possible. There is a thread that hints at coding needed for LVDS.
I had an Apple CRT I was thinking of gutting and turning into Hack.
It did not look like a good idea then because of power supply.
It still might work now with thin board.

Search on AIO all in ones.

I'm actually in (fingers crossed) final stages of an iMac G3 hackintosh mod, I've essentially put the CustoMac Mini Deluxe in an old G3 I bought and gutted (actually 2 x G3's as the internal (sh!tty grey plastic) screen surround was knackered on the first one, as was the power button). I'm also switching the CRT for an LCD that has inbuilt amp/speakers, I'm reusing the iMac speakers and I'm driving them with the LCD amp. I'm just waiting on a HDMI to D-Sub adaptor for the display and I still need to figure out the wiring for the mic.

If anyone's interested I'm sure I could post some pics...

Steve

I'm actually in (fingers crossed) final stages of an iMac G3 hackintosh mod, I've essentially put the CustoMac Mini Deluxe in an old G3 I bought and gutted (actually 2 x G3's as the internal (sh!tty grey plastic) screen surround was knackered on the first one, as was the power button). I'm also switching the CRT for an LCD that has inbuilt amp/speakers, I'm reusing the iMac speakers and I'm driving them with the LCD amp. I'm just waiting on a HDMI to D-Sub adaptor for the display and I still need to figure out the wiring for the mic.

If anyone's interested I'm sure I could post some pics...

Steve

What do you mean if anyone's interested??? Of course we are. Post 'em! Why not start a new thread though?

Uhm, what were we rambling about yesterday again, David? :lol:

Could this be a new trend?

I think, apart from the screen-problem, these G3s are quite well suited, at least as far as cooling is concerned. Got those nice grips/ ventilation-slits on top... I´ve been thinking some on what to do about cooling if i were to start on my eMac.

Uhm, what were we rambling about yesterday again, David? :lol:

Could this be a new trend?

I think, apart from the screen-problem, these G3s are quite well suited, at least as far as cooling is concerned. Got those nice grips/ ventilation-slits on top... I´ve been thinking some on what to do about cooling if i were to start on my eMac.

Ha!

I have had one of these sat on top of my wardrobe for the last 3 years since it was taken out of service.

But mine is not going to happen anytime soon.:)

Ok here are some pics of the project thus far... I wasn't documenting the earlier stages of the build, hence my numerous f*** ups aren't shown :D also I have been very dremmel-happy in places which has resulted in having to purchase a 2nd 15" LCD. In short once I'd cut everything into shape I noticed two lines on the screen making it unacceptable, luckily the guy who sold the screen on eBay had another for sale.

2nd Donor iMac (it was already dead, the first one wasn't but I salvaged parts and re-distributed)
IMG_0332.jpg
Donor LCD (2nd one)
IMG_0328.jpg
The first iMac had been dropped and hence the inner plastic (sh!tty grey stuff) had shattered, I attempted a fix but the power button was also FUBAR'd hence iMac 2 was needed. Bar this in mind if you plan a mod yourself!
IMG_0336.jpg
Underside of the metal separator shelf with the hacked to pieces ATX PSU attached (I had planned on getting an iTX PSU but couldn't get one that would fit and ship to the UK!)
IMG_0316.jpg
The SATA cables run between the PSU and the separator and the pop up thru a natural hole
IMG_0317.jpg
I also cut a hole in the separator (where the CPU cooler attached) and routed the ATX and 12V power thru it
IMG_0321.jpg
Next was connecting the power button, PWR PED and speakers via the nice 26 pin connector Apple left for me :) (pin out if here http://etech.dyndns.org/index.php?page=vcr.php)
IMG_0323.jpg
LCD stripped naked, I've kept most of the LCD mounting plate although significant hack-sawing/dremmel-ing was required to get it to fit...
IMG_0329.jpg
LCD Amp connected to the iMac speakers and powered up and working (also you can see the LED working - this made me very happy as I had a 'blonde moment' with ground connections...)
IMG_0294.jpg
I also (sloppily) customised the side panel:
IMG_0314.jpg
Once I figure out final placings of everything I will need to mount the below to the side panel, also I need to figure out how to connect the side panel as previously it attached via the iMac logic board... any ideas?
IMG_0330.jpg
The two halves waiting to be slapped back together
IMG_0331.jpgIMG_0335.jpg
Finally a request for you all, I created the below in an attempt to get the iMac microphone working, however it's a stab in the dark because I don't know what the microphone is expecting on it's 3 wires (red, white, black) does anyone have any ideas? It would be nice to get this working but pretty non-essential
IMG_0325.jpg
Other than the microphone cable I'm just waiting on the d-Sub to HDMI cable so I can hopefully shortcut the this (http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/101878-forcing-1024x768x32-intel-hd-graphics-4000-a.html) problem and then it's ready to be finished.

hope you enjoy
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_0334.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 374
Thanks Spadefist,
might not be complete but still gives some reference though! I got a 600MHz G3 e few years back, maxed out RAM and put in a fan. Put OSX 10.4 on it and it runs like charm. Guess i won´t be hacking this one soon, guess my eMac will be first. Maybe Minihack will be faster?
What resolution will be possible for You on that LCD?

Olli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back