Contribute
Register

Has anyone ever attempted a imac G3 casemod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'd love to see a G3 brought back to life, Custo-mac style! Has anyone ever done it, or is it even possible?

First, I would doubt it is possible due to the curved body of the G3, and second, they discontinued it for a reason..... :sick:

:D :headbang:

JGW310 said:
First, I would doubt it is possible due to the curved body of the G3, and second, they discontinued it for a reason..... :sick:

:D :headbang:

aw, no love for the G3?

I agree though, it was..tough to look at, but I think It would be great a great first computer for kids to mess around with. It looks like something that belongs in a play room. :lol:

Yes, I have seen a few of these around.

My wife had an old "blueberry" iMac G3 that I replaced with a Cube mod and the G3 is sitting unloved on top of a cupboard waiting for a "one day" mod.

Only real issue is that the screen is 14" and is the old 4:3 format so you are stuck with low resolution small screen.

So in my view this mod is either for: a kids room; or with a motherboard where you have multiple monitor outputs and you use the iMac screen as a secondary (or third) screen to display widget or stuff on. Other people have turned them into fish tanks or coffee tables.

The good news is they have a HUGE amount of room inside once you throw away the CRT and the transparent case would be great for a nice show-off conversion.

Last edited by a moderator:
15 inch was plenty for me in 2005, it's plenty for me now. I don't get people's obsession with big/wide screens. 4:3 to me feels better. That said, is there software to fake the round appearance of the screen borders in Mac OS X, for when I install on one of those machines? I plan on attempting a mod in the not-so-near future, whenever I can find an LCD screen to fit. Also an ITX board. I'll have to find a laptop disc drive though, and make some sort of custom tray for it. :p I might pull one out of an old HP laptop.. lol. :B

The biggest thing for me would be wiring the LCD to the regular power supply. I read that some Dell screens run natively on a 12V signal, so.. I'm guessing I could hook one of those up. And they're VGA.. I'd have to run an ugly cable outside of the case, because unlike one guy I saw, I'm not brave enough to solder a wire to the motherboard.

The mod HAS been done, and it looks pretty awesome. Plus, there's room inside the case for an extra fan. :p

Got five of those at work, two of them are running Ubuntu 7.10 and the others are at 10.4.

I've thought about modding the one I've got in my basement. The challenge is to find a suitable LCD display.

Wow. That's a reallistic 3D LCD!. :lol:

lynspyre said:
Wow. That's a reallistic 3D LCD!. :lol:

zrtn_008p7d0936cc_tn.jpg

http://gadgetsin.com/tag/imacquarium

i made one that cooked into a kitty bed :)

Attachments

• PANA1242.JPG
    PANA1242.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 683
  • PANA1245.JPG
    PANA1245.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,910
  • PANA1248.JPG
    PANA1248.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 492
Status
Not open for further replies.