Contribute
Register

[HALF-SUCCESS] iTunes 12.7 constantly crashing (random messages)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you mind reporting the output of VDADecoderChecker to satisfy curiosity?

The output im getting is,

Code:
Hardware acceleration is fully supported
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.
Deleting expired sessions...none found.

@ovb1 please note that @VioletDragon is using macOS Sierra (10.12), not High Sierra (10.13) and this problems only happens with the macOS 10.13.*. Probably related with the 'rewrite' of the Metal framework (Metal2, closely related with the VDA frameworks).

@ovb1 please note that @VioletDragon is using macOS Sierra (10.12), not High Sierra (10.13) and this problems only happens with the macOS 10.13.*. Probably related with the 'rewrite' of the Metal framework (Metal2, closely related with the VDA frameworks).

Ah. yes of course.... I'm kinda missing Sierra to be honest... High Sierra has wasted many hours... Although I can roll back a clone drive its a pain after my iPhoto and iTunes library update as I think they'd no longer be compatible?

Not true. 10.12 has issues with HD 4600 also.
Metal appears to be working.
Take a look at the 10.12 know problems. [README] Common (some unsolved) Problems in 10.12 Sierra ...
Then again this is a Server which is headless not used for web browsing etc.
Only used as a Storage Server with macOS Server App & iTunes sharing VPN etc.

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 18.03.07.png

Dosn

Not sure I understand you.

My observation is if I enable hardware acceleration using shiki and bootflag shikigva=1 on my profile iMac 17.1 then iTunes crashes. Although I can watch HD content until a crash.

Without hardware acceleration iTunes is completely stable?
I found iTunes is perfectly stable on my hackintosh without hw acceleration.

i am still searching genuine mac hardware to test...

Last edited:
I found iTunes is perfectly stable on my hackintosh without hw acceleration.

i am still searching genuine mac hardware to test...

Works fine on my MacBook Air. I presume hardware acceleration is enabled. I’ll check.

EDIT: Yep hardware acceleration is enabled and iTunes is stable.

Last edited:
Works fine on my MacBook Air. I presume hardware acceleration is enabled. I’ll check.

Maybe I need the hardware to match the driver. Apple has never use HD4600, the GPU for iMac 14.4 is HD5000, and others are equipped with discrete graphics, on those types, intel renderer is offline but hw acceleration is enabled fully.

Not true. 10.12 has issues with HD 4600 also.
Metal appears to be working.
Take a look at the 10.12 know problems. [README] Common (some unsolved) Problems in 10.12 Sierra ...
Then again this is a Server which is headless not used for web browsing etc.
Only used as a Storage Server with macOS Server App & iTunes sharing VPN etc.

View attachment 289384
I think, the 'Supported' means, the driver support metal. But, in fact, macOS does not know whether the hardware support the function. Because, we hacked id to make macOS attach the driver for HD5000 to HD4600. Like PAVP, HD4600 does not support PAVP. Video play on safari would cause freezing. The IntelGraphicsFixup bypassed the function call to make HD4600 work. If the driver know it is driving HD4600, it would bypass some function not supported by hw without any patch, right?:think:

You cannot compare a Genuine Apple Mac to a Hackintosh with HD4600.
Genuine Macs dont have HD 4600.

I think, the 'Supported' means, the driver support metal. But, in fact, macOS does not know whether the hardware support the function. Because, we hacked id to make macOS attach the driver for HD5000 to HD4600. Like PAVP, HD4600 does not support PAVP. Video play on safari would cause freezing. The IntelGraphicsFixup bypassed the function call to make HD4600 work. If the driver know it is driving HD4600, it would bypass some function not supported by hw without any patch, right?:think:

I do not use HD4600 for multimedia.
HD 4600 is used in my server nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back