Contribute
Register

Hackintosh freezing daily, getting worse..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD3
CPU
i7 7700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Hello everybody,

I have built a hackintosh about an year ago with the following components:

Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
Ivy Bridge i5
Corsair Vengance 2x8gb
EVGA GTX 760

For the past few months, my hackintosh froze with an increased frequency... from once a week to twice a day (this past week was terrible).

I tried to troubleshoot but I couldn't find anything consistent in the console. Actually what I noticed is that prior to booting after it freezes, the last messages showing in the console are 10minutes old (even though the crash happened just 2 minutes before the boot)

Do you guys have any ideas on how to find out what makes it crash? I tried to google but I couldn't find anything :(

Thank you in advance!

Boot into safe mode "-x" and see if it runs. If it does, stay in safe mode for a while until you're satisfied it isn't crashing like it has. If this is the case then you more than likely have a kext file loading that is causing the problem. As to which one it might be, that's hard to say.

If it still crashes then I would suspect a memory problem of some kind. Assuming you are running your ram at 1600mhz you could try dropping it down to 1333mhz and see if that helps. If it does then try setting your memory timing manually instead of allowing the BIOS to set it automatically.

Thank you for your answer!

Should I run in safe mode for a couple of days and see if it crashes?

I'm using my hackintosh all day and it happens 2 times a day on average... Can I do my work on the hackintosh (writing/photoshop/illustrator/surfing mostly) while it is in safe mode? (sorry for newbie question :p )

edit: I'm in safe mode now, its all flickery but it is somewhat usable... we'll see how it goes... :)

Graphics performance will be unaccelerated while in safe mode. As long so you can stand it I would stay in safe mode until you are able to determine if it is running without crashing.

Will do and will report back!

Thank you for the help Clipper!

So far my hackintosh didn't crash.. (In safe mode).

Is it definately a wrong kext? how can I spot which one?

I would strongly suspect this may be a video card driver causing the crash but I'm merely speculating. I don't have an Nvidia card so I'm not much help in that regard. A quick search found this thread:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/122777-fix-opencl-crash-gk110b-based-cards.html

What version of OSX are you running?

There are also Nvidia drivers available for your card which replace the Apple-supplied drivers that I have read help people having problems. See this thread here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...ate-graphics-drivers-10-9-2-331-01-01f01.html

Have you backed up any data that you can't afford to loose just in case things go wrong? I'm not nearly as good at identifying a "bad" kext as I am with getting Window$ to work.

My advice at this point would be to hold on if the above threads makes you uncomfortable and hopefully someone can chime in here to assist.

I am running OSX 10.9.3

I'll try to follow your advice and I hope it is going to fix! :)

edit: I'm trying to use Nvidia Web drivers, lets see if it crashes now

No crashes for 2 days so far!!!!

Thank you Clipper!!!!!

It was the nvidia driver, after updating to the webdriver, no more crashes!

Excellent, glad to hear it appears to be successful and happy to help.

Happy hackintoshing! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back