Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a Gigabyte H61N-USB3 Hackintosh running Sierra on a i3 CPU with 8GB RAM. It runs just fine and does most everything I want it to do, however, I'm doing more and more small Final Cut Pro X projects on it and rendering and exporting are a bit slow.

I currently have NO separate GPU card and use instead the integrated graphics HD3000 on the i3 CPU.

I'm on a budget so my question is, would I be better off upgrading to an actual GPU card or should I upgrade to a i5 CPU and continue using the integrated graphics HD4000 that the i5 would allow me to do?

OK, I went ahead and upgraded the i3 to a i5 3570K (I already have one of them in another Hackintosh and love it) and FCPX renders and does everything a lot better. I got the GPU for $45 so I figure that's a good upgrade. However, being a nerd and tinkerer, I still want to explore a dedicated GPU for this machine.

So, Nvidia what? 750, 1030, 650? Or will I likely not see any further improvement? My current config has the HD4000 running with 1536MB RAM. Will a 1GB DDR5 GPU make much difference?

OK, I went ahead and upgraded the i3 to a i5 3570K (I already have one of them in another Hackintosh and love it) and FCPX renders and does everything a lot better. I got the GPU for $45 so I figure that's a good upgrade. However, being a nerd and tinkerer, I still want to explore a dedicated GPU for this machine.

So, Nvidia what? 750, 1030, 650? Or will I likely not see any further improvement? My current config has the HD4000 running with 1536MB RAM. Will a 1GB DDR5 GPU make much difference?

Sorry... I just gave away a whole system based on the H61N with an i7 processor, 16GB of RAM (I think) and a Radeon 5770 in a Prodigy case. You must be running an old OS? I don't think Clover (EFI) works on that motherboard.

Sorry... I just gave away a whole system based on the H61N with an i7 processor, 16GB of RAM (I think) and a Radeon 5770 in a Prodigy case. You must be running an old OS? I don't think Clover (EFI) works on that motherboard.
I successfully ran Mojave on it for a few weeks then dropped back down to High Sierra for some testing, it's running like a champ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back