Contribute
Register

Guide: Update OS X Mavericks to OS X Yosemite Using UniBeast and MultiBeast

Well, it is a bit trickier...

Win7 and OS X in two different partitions on Samsung 840 500GB SSD. After installing Yosemite as an update (worked fine) I then ran Multibeast and got the O with a dash through it on a grey screen and the system hung.

Re-did the Yosemite update from the USB stick, re-did Multibeast and now Yosemite works fine, but somewhere along the way Windows got killed - not sure at which stage.

However, it seems that the boot sector got overridden. The disk appears empty except for a non-functioning boot sector, i.e. there are some 100 MB used, and looking at the files from a Windows disk it looks like the usual hidden boot partition files. Nothing else visible. But... and here is my hope: Mac Diskutil shows that the disk is almost full (which it was). So I do believe that somehow the bootsector got messed up (not sure how really...) and that now the tables are all messed up but the data hopefully are not overridden - why would they actually.

Any further ideas?

Thanks a lot!

for me when I try to even install the multibeast stuff it freezes and then I have to force restart... And now it says can't fnd mach kernel... So I can't boot to the unibeast or my install drive!! This was using the integrated graphics...

help please??!!!

Guys can someone PLEASE HELP ME!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!! i BEG OF YOU!!!! PLEASE!!!!

Thanks
Gershy

I just followed the directions to the T, and no dice.

I booted with the USB and selected UniBeast, and it went to a grey Apple screen with a progress bar. After the progress bar made it about halfway it went to an all-grey screen with a circle and line through it.

This happened twice.

Same here after upgrading!

How do you solve it? Care to share pls :)

Ps: solved! :)
After some shut down and restart all went ok, lol :D

For those issues with the "can't find /mach_kernel" make sure to update Chimera bootloader to the latest version. Apparently, older versions of Chimera look for that bootflag even though the arguments were removed from the .plist files in /extra/.

EDIT: Post #170 (pg 17) works as well, where you boot the drive off your BIOS instead of Chimera. (Usually f12).

Thanks Tony!

I was able to get Yosemite installed/upgraded atop Mavericks pretty easily. I did, however, run into two interesting issues that I resolved with a little googling. Hopefully this information helps out anybody else that may run into these errors.

Issue #1 - 0xdeadbeef kernel panic error after installing Yosemite and trying to boot it with Unibeast.

This was an interesting issue that apparently is some kind of bug with Haswell systems. The solution is to pass the kernel the the maxmem argument with a value that is equal to half your installed RAM. So, for my system with 8GB of RAM, I passed the the following 4GB maxmem kernel argument via the Unibeast bootloader and was then able to get into Yosemite to begin the Multibeast install.

Code:
maxmem=4096

Issue #2 - "Waiting for root device..." after post-Multibeast install and first Yosemite reboot.

This was the more interesting of the two issues. I booted the kernel with the verbose flag (-v) to see all of the kernel messages and hope that something would point me in the right direction of the error. Well, right after the ethernet driver loaded (e1000), the waiting for root device message repeated several times and it was apparent the system would not get pass this. So, as I googled some, it seemed like something in the kernel cache was pointing to an incorrect location for the root (/) device. Interesting, especially considering that the default in Chimera for a DSDT-free system is UseKernelCache=Yes which makes sense as that speeds up the boot process considerably. So, I suspected that the kernel cache needed to be rebuilt. Being the case that I've never done that before, I searched around and found some syntax to rebuild the extensions cache but that didn't resolve the issue. So, I figured, well, maybe if I just delete the kernel cache, it will be rebuild on a subsequent reboot. Yep! That did the trick.

To delete the kernel cache file, execute the following command in Terminal:

Code:
sudo rm -f /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache

Since I couldn't get into my Yosemite install, I actually had to boot the Unibeast installer and remove the kernelcache file using the terminal utility available via the Yosemite installer. After that file was removed, Yosemite booted up successfully and quickly at that. Subsequent reboots were also quick and without issues. The best reason I can gather as to why this occurred may have to do with the fact that my Mavericks install was copied over from a previous SSD to the current SSD using SuperDuper! several months ago, and it caused the cache to point to the incorrect mount point for root (/). Why it didn't cause my Mavericks install any issues over the last couple of months, I am not sure. But, alas it was an easy fix.

Cheers,

George

booting with "UseKernelCache=No" in Chimera also let me bypass the "still waiting on root device" error hang (and the circle with slash)

EDIT: shortlived, still getting the circle with slash even after deleting the kernel cache file you specified. My issue seems to be either the USBMSC identifier, or GeForceSensors (which starts after a delay).

I have a gigabyte h87-hd3 and ati 5850 hd. I only get to the install screen by booting using F12 (because in my ssd I haven't chimera updated) and -x -v -f UseKernelCache=No maxmem=4096, but then it hangs. I hope it can help anyone.. I think i'm going to wait till another update of unibeast or another solution.

Yosemite is working well on a Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI. During boot the screen goes blank for a few seconds, then comes back with the progress bar display messed up, but everything is fine once it gets to the login screen. It froze on me the first time I logged in after installation, but after a cold start it was able to finish the installation and has been working fine ever since.

The only issue I'm seeing so far is that I lose audio after waking from sleep, but I had the same problem with Mavericks.

Thanks Tony!

Issue #2 - "Waiting for root device..." after post-Multibeast install and first Yosemite reboot.

This was the more interesting of the two issues. I booted the kernel with the verbose flag (-v) to see all of the kernel messages and hope that something would point me in the right direction of the error. Well, right after the ethernet driver loaded (e1000), the waiting for root device message repeated several times and it was apparent the system would not get pass this. So, as I googled some, it seemed like something in the kernel cache was pointing to an incorrect location for the root (/) device. Interesting, especially considering that the default in Chimera for a DSDT-free system is UseKernelCache=Yes which makes sense as that speeds up the boot process considerably. So, I suspected that the kernel cache needed to be rebuilt. Being the case that I've never done that before, I searched around and found some syntax to rebuild the extensions cache but that didn't resolve the issue. So, I figured, well, maybe if I just delete the kernel cache, it will be rebuild on a subsequent reboot. Yep! That did the trick.

To delete the kernel cache file, execute the following command in Terminal:

Code:
sudo rm -f /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache

Since I couldn't get into my Yosemite install, I actually had to boot the Unibeast installer and remove the kernelcache file using the terminal utility available via the Yosemite installer. After that file was removed, Yosemite booted up successfully and quickly at that. Subsequent reboots were also quick and without issues. The best reason I can gather as to why this occurred may have to do with the fact that my Mavericks install was copied over from a previous SSD to the current SSD using SuperDuper! several months ago, and it caused the cache to point to the incorrect mount point for root (/). Why it didn't cause my Mavericks install any issues over the last couple of months, I am not sure. But, alas it was an easy fix.

Cheers,

George

I get "read only file" when trying to delete this. Can anyone kindly direct me how to overcome this? Thanks!

Back