Contribute
Register

Guide: Update OS X Mavericks to OS X Yosemite Using UniBeast and MultiBeast

If you follow this guide, will iMessage work?
That's all that I haven't got working right now.

Thanks!
Len
Same here. I don't think messages will ever work on our FrankenMacs. Also, I don't have "Allow Handoff between this mac and your iCloud devices" in my System Preferences. Is there a fix for that?

Ok, I have a problem. I've installed Yosemite perfectly fine on my hard drive...but after I install all my kexts and such, including Chimera 4.0, I still can't boot from my hard drive. I have to keep booting from my USB. I've tried downloading Chimera from MultiBeast aswell as using the dedicated Chimera installer. But for some reason, there is still no boot loader on my hard drive. And yes, I did make sure the destination was my hard drive. Any tips? I've tried reinstalling it several times.

I'm in the same boat with my Z97X-UD7TH

I think I tried every variation of these boot options:

-v
-x
-f
GraphicsEnabler=Yes (I have IGP disabled)
UseKernelCache=No

I get a kernel panic each time - I can't see where it happens - as the kext loading screens run by too fast.

-Anyone with ideas?

Could you clarify how to delete the 3rd party kext? And is bluetooth not working as a result of this?
What I did was boot into the Yosemite installer on my flash drive, choose my language, open Terminal from the Tools menu, cd to /Volumes/Macintosh HD (or whatever you called your boot drive)/System/Library/Extensions/ then use rm -Rf to delete AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext

I'm fairly certain bluetooth is unrelated to this fix but if anyone else got it working on the GA-Z87N-Wifi I'd love to hear how!

Thanks Tony!

I was able to get Yosemite installed/upgraded atop Mavericks pretty easily. I did, however, run into two interesting issues that I resolved with a little googling. Hopefully this information helps out anybody else that may run into these errors.

Issue #1 - 0xdeadbeef kernel panic error after installing Yosemite and trying to boot it with Unibeast.

This was an interesting issue that apparently is some kind of bug with Haswell systems. The solution is to pass the kernel the the maxmem argument with a value that is equal to half your installed RAM. So, for my system with 8GB of RAM, I passed the the following 4GB maxmem kernel argument via the Unibeast bootloader and was then able to get into Yosemite to begin the Multibeast install.

Code:
maxmem=4096

Issue #2 - "Waiting for root device..." after post-Multibeast install and first Yosemite reboot.

This was the more interesting of the two issues. I booted the kernel with the verbose flag (-v) to see all of the kernel messages and hope that something would point me in the right direction of the error. Well, right after the ethernet driver loaded (e1000), the waiting for root device message repeated several times and it was apparent the system would not get pass this. So, as I googled some, it seemed like something in the kernel cache was pointing to an incorrect location for the root (/) device. Interesting, especially considering that the default in Chimera for a DSDT-free system is UseKernelCache=Yes which makes sense as that speeds up the boot process considerably. So, I suspected that the kernel cache needed to be rebuilt. Being the case that I've never done that before, I searched around and found some syntax to rebuild the extensions cache but that didn't resolve the issue. So, I figured, well, maybe if I just delete the kernel cache, it will be rebuild on a subsequent reboot. Yep! That did the trick.

To delete the kernel cache file, execute the following command in Terminal:

Code:
sudo rm -f /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache

Since I couldn't get into my Yosemite install, I actually had to boot the Unibeast installer and remove the kernelcache file using the terminal utility available via the Yosemite installer. After that file was removed, Yosemite booted up successfully and quickly at that. Subsequent reboots were also quick and without issues. The best reason I can gather as to why this occurred may have to do with the fact that my Mavericks install was copied over from a previous SSD to the current SSD using SuperDuper! several months ago, and it caused the cache to point to the incorrect mount point for root (/). Why it didn't cause my Mavericks install any issues over the last couple of months, I am not sure. But, alas it was an easy fix.

Cheers,

George

Working perfectly for Gigabyte H87-D3H with i5 4590.

Onboard Audio fixed by selecting internal speaker setting in sys preferences.

Random freezes (560 ti fermi freeze) fixed using fermifreezefix.

Everything a-ok, much thanks.
--------
Booting into unibeast usb installer required flag: GraphicsEnabler=Yes, change that in the boot.plist and no need for manually entering flags.

Also take note, default sound out is digital out, so if you don't have sound output maybe you need to set the sound to internal speakers. I fix my sound issues by setting the sound to internal speaker...

I followed the guide to the letter. It was quite smooth installation/upgrade from Mavericks to Yosemite. However, I cannot get the Audio works. I have a ACL889. I followed MultiBeast 7 option no luck. I used Kext Utility no luck. I followed a link to a Github project neither work.

I had an old Intel DX58SO MB which I used with Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion and Mavericks without any trouble.

Interesting though, when I go to System > About this Mac > More info... > System Report > Under Audio I see the Intel High Definition Audio. However, under System > Preferences > Audio the device is not available. A boomer.

Any help it is much appreciated. I'm turning back to Mavericks for a week or so until I get a good lead on this. :thumbdown:

I followed the guide to the letter. It was quite smooth installation/upgrade from Mavericks to Yosemite. However, I cannot get the Audio works. I have a ACL889. I followed MultiBeast 7 option no luck. I used Kext Utility no luck. I followed a link to a Github project neither work.

I had an old Intel DX58SO MB which I used with Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion and Mavericks without any trouble.

Interesting though, when I go to System > About this Mac > More info... > System Report > Under Audio I see the Intel High Definition Audio. However, under System > Preferences > Audio the device is not available. A boomer.

Any help it is much appreciated. I'm turning back to Mavericks for a week or so until I get a good lead on this. :thumbdown:

A screenshot of the System Information Report:

Screen Shot 2014-10-19 at 11.58.36 AM.png

Back