Contribute
Register

Guide: Update OS X Mavericks to OS X Yosemite Using UniBeast and MultiBeast

When I started the install it got psat the screen woth the apple logo and the download bar but then after that it preceded to go to show a white screen and the spinning wheel of death I left it for a couple hour and it didn’t finished. I than preceded to try booting in -x,-f,-v, GraphicsEnabler=Yes and npci=0x2000. All of these had the same issue but the spinning wheel of death didn't show up. Could this have anything to do with when it switchs to this screen my graphics go crazy I got a triple picture of the screen before it went to the white screen. None of these worked and ideas appreciated!
I am trying to get it on a intel i3 and Gigabyte mother board GA-Q77M-D2h

Thanks for your help

All - When I boot using the USB, it automatically takes me to the installer. Is there a way to make it take me to the finder? It looks like I need to remove something from my Extra's folder. How do I do that?

I can't boot up. I get the grey screen with the "stop" sign. I have tried lots of flags but none of the work. Missing Kernel...

I think I have a bad audio driver according to what I have read...

All - When I boot using the USB, it automatically takes me to the installer. Is there a way to make it take me to the finder? It looks like I need to remove something from my Extra's folder. How do I do that?

I can't boot up. I get the grey screen with the "stop" sign. I have tried lots of flags but none of the work. Missing Kernel...

I think I have a bad audio driver according to what I have read...

You can launch Terminal from the Installer screen (see the Tools menu at the top of the screen), and then remove the offending driver from there.

Can anyone please help me if they familiar with this issue. Yosemite installation was great . Now issue is I can not boot straight from Yosemite HD. I always have to boot from USB and then I can select Yosemite HD. Is there anyway if I can boot straight from Yosemite HD. If I try that its says can't find mach kernel. I searched a lot to get rid of mach kernel error but no success. I even reinstalled but still can't boot straight from HD, Thanks in advanced.

Can anyone please help me if they familiar with this issue. Yosemite installation was great . Now issue is I can not boot straight from Yosemite HD. I always have to boot from USB and then I can select Yosemite HD. Is there anyway if I can boot straight from Yosemite HD. If I try that its says can't find mach kernel. I searched a lot to get rid of mach kernel error but no success. I even reinstalled but still can't boot straight from HD, Thanks in advanced.

Download Unibeast 5.0.1 (released yesterday), make a new Unibeast USB installer, and reinstall the update. The mach_kernel problem has been fixed.

Download Unibeast 5.0.1 (released yesterday), make a new Unibeast USB installer, and reinstall the update. The mach_kernel problem has been fixed.

Thanks I am trying it now. Appreciate.

Update: I use a clone of my hard disk to see if things are working properly. This is my experience:

I managed to update from OS X Mavericks to OS X Yosemite after some initial problems.This is what I found.
1) After creating a USB Flash drive with Unibeast 5.01, I had difficulties with booting: 'Missing mach_kernel'. After reading other posts, I booted using F12 in BIOS and added -x (GA-Z77N-WIFI). This worked.
2) After installing the new OS, I managed to boot again through the 'F12' procedure, after this immediately pressed the space bar, and selected the updated disk. It booted.
3) After the initial set up in Yosemite, I ran Multibeast 7.0.
4) This resulted in a working machine, with one exception: sound.
5) It turned out that in Yosemite I had to select a different sound output: in stead of 'line-out' (which effectively is the case), I had to select 'internal speakers', which I do not have. However it works now.

Comment: my conclusion is I had to bypass Unibeast by booting with the aid of the BIOS F12 procedure first, then Unibeast with -x. Afterwards, everything else worked fine.
Hope this will help others. Read other posts, look for similar motherboards and ideally, experiment with a disk clone.
Success!

After step #2, I get the mac logo with a progress bar that never goes beyond 0% - what did I do wrong?
I can't boot into yosemite and when i use F12 to boot from my HDD, i get the missing mach_kernel thingy.

Great! Thank you, BOGDANW
Since it works now, do I still have to issue the following bash command?
rebuid cache sudo kextcache -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions
Yes, then you should be able to boot much faster without "kext-dev-mode=1"

Back