Contribute
Register

Guide: Update OS X Mavericks to OS X Yosemite Using UniBeast and MultiBeast

Just a question, do you install your audio using Multibeast? or it just works like mine without anything else? i'm seriously doubting of changing anything from now, including the kext..

Shortly after the installer starts preparing the files, I get this screen with a crossed through circle. Does anybody know what it means?

I also get this unless I boot using -f

I'm having a strange problem, other than not being able to boot without using -f I cannot use multibeast, when I try to build and install everything I get "installation failed", the multibeast log says:

Code:
10/18/14 13:24:15 - Starting MultiBeast 7.0.0-20141016 
10/18/14 13:24:28 - Failed to bless helper. Error: (null)
10/18/14 13:26:24 - Starting MultiBeast 7.0.0-20141016 
10/18/14 13:26:56 - Failed to bless helper. Error: (null)
10/18/14 13:30:41 - Starting MultiBeast 7.0.0-20141016 
10/18/14 13:31:04 - Failed to bless helper. Error: (null)
10/18/14 13:39:17 - Starting MultiBeast 7.0.0-20141016 
10/18/14 13:39:54 - Failed to bless helper. Error: (null)
10/18/14 13:49:31 - Starting MultiBeast 7.0.0-20141016 
10/18/14 13:50:03 - Failed to bless helper. Error: (null)
10/18/14 13:51:02 - Starting MultiBeast 7.0.0-20141016 
10/18/14 14:22:45 - Starting MultiBeast 7.0.0-20141016 
10/18/14 14:23:28 - Failed to bless helper. Error: (null)
10/18/14 14:24:22 - Starting MultiBeast 7.0.0-20141016 
10/18/14 14:25:15 - Failed to bless helper. Error: (null)
10/18/14 14:45:25 - Starting MultiBeast 7.0.0-20141016 
10/18/14 14:46:02 - Failed to bless helper. Error: (null)

I've not got a clue how to get it working.

I also get "Error when starting computer... please wait 5 seconds" after booting using -F

Confirmed working on GA-Z87X-UD5H. Was easier than I expected :D
Followed your steps but used Clover, iCloud still working, iMessage stuck at customer code just like at 10.9 so all looks fine..

Good to know. This is what I am using. Gives me some hope :thumbup:
Cheers

I am doing fresh install . But cant boot its says can't find mach kernel. ANyone please/

I just finished a successful upgrade from Mavericks 10.9.5 to Yosemite 10.10. My Z87Mav system is based on a Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3H with ALC892 audio. I followed the instructions posted by tonymacx86 at the beginning of this thread. However, things went off the tracks after running MultiBeast and selecting in ALC892 audio.

With ALC892 audio selected I experienced the same problem many have experienced. When I booted from my system drive, the system hung on the screen with the large progress bar. What I quickly figured out was this: if your hard drive light is not showing lots of activity when the progress bar displays, your boot has crashed or hung. I also found that if I did not select in ALC892 audio in MultiBeast, my system would boot. However, I had no audio (System Preferences showed no audio available). At this point it seemed that the ALC892 kext must be the problem.

Searching the Internet, I found some discussions indicating that the audio drivers for Yosemite had changed and that the Mavericks drivers would not work with Yosemite. This seemed consistent with my observations on the ALC892 kext being installed by MultiBeast. After more searching, I came across this solution:

https://github.com/toleda/audio_pikeralphaALC

The information on this page was a bit complicated, but by closely following the provided steps I was able to get an ALC892 kext that worked with Yosemite. After installing the kext per the site instructions, I did find that I had to go into System Preferences Sound, select the Output tab, and select "Line Out". For whatever reason, the default was "Digital Out".

Given all of this, it would seem that the ALC8xx audio drivers in MultiBeast 7.0.0 will require some kind of update (this is conjecture on my part but it's a conclusion that is consistent my experience). In the mean time, if your motherboard has ALC8xx audio that you can't get working, you might give this solution a try.

[EDIT]
After more digging around I found that MultiBeast 7.0.0 already covers the ALC892 issue. Under audio drivers I had to pick ALC892 and Optional 3 Port (5.1) Audio. This worked.

Ok... The installation was a complete success... Until multibeast... I choose the same config that i have for Mavericks, reboot and now its stuck with the apple logo and a progress bar... Any suggestion?

I had the same issue you had, and using "boot ignore caches" solved it. using the arrows, navigate to your hard drive, then use the down arrow to open a menu, and select "boot ignore caches".

With or without "kext-dev-mode=1" FakeSMC isn't loaded from KernelCache and "still waiting for root device" error occurs.
I have to boot with "UseKernelCache=No" or Kernel Flag "-f".
Has someone else found a solution for this problem?

I was stuck at this point for hours and tried all suggestions posted in this thread so far.

What made it work in my case:

1. I put <key>Kernel Flags</key> with <string>kext-dev-mode=1</string> in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist and rebuild cache (as posted in a comment above).

2. I then somehow managed to get TRIM enabled with the help of the latest Chameleon SSD Optimizer version (Multibeast didn't do it in the first place). Afterwards Audio (ALC 887) worked fine, too, btw - which wouldn't work before either.

3. After my next reboot without -f I got Kernel panics. Rebooted with -f and changed "UseKernelCache=Yes" to "=No" in org.chameleon.Boot.plist. Booted without -f once more and had Kernel panics again.
Finally, after rebooting with -f again and changing "UseKernelCache" back to "=Yes" my system now starts properly (without -f).

There's a bit of magic to it, I know, but 10.10 now runs as smooth as 10.9.5. did before. Case closed for me, luckily.

Other things to mention:
- I use the Yosemite "AppleACPIPlatform.kext" as I have a 7-series board.
- Fix permissions every here and then!
- removal of 3rd Party SATA made no difference in my case, I left it installed

Personally, I assume TRIM was the key.

I had the same issue. Turns out it's due to Yosemite converting the drive to a core storage volume. I managed to revert it back using "diskutil cs revert <UUID or filesystem path>". Following this, I issued the "dd fix" for 4K drives and got Chimera working again. Hope this helps!

Thank you. I will give that a try.

Back