Contribute
Register

Guide to Installing Mountain Lion on HP Probook

Sorry, I'm a bit uncertain about the phrasing of Post #1 vs my inexperience and lack of knowledge of what items go together.

So, when using the Installer to regenerate the DSDT, I select these items (as appropriate):

... but not (for example) these:

... or any other items outside of the ones mentioned in the '- From "DSDT generator/patcher"...' paragraph quoted above?

Cheers,
Bret

You're reading section marked "BIOS updates/hardware upgrades", right?

You're reading section marked "BIOS updates/hardware upgrades", right?

Yes. Quoting this section:
BIOS updates/hardware upgrades

If you ever make a hardware change or update the BIOS, you should re-patch your DSDT. See this thread: DSDT patch: HP ProBook 4x30s (4330, 4430, 4530, 4730) patches -- Updated and this thread for a guide using MacIASL: Patching your DSDT ProBook 4x30s using MaciASL

You can also re-patch your DSDT using the ProBook Installer. Follow these instructions

1. Remove /Extra/dsdt.aml. If you have a high-resolution screen, install Mini-SSDT-DualLink.aml to /Extra/ssdt-1.aml. Then reboot. After reboot, you are running without a DSDT (no audio, WiFi, battery, etc)
2. Run ProBook Installer and select only the DSDT options you did before in step 14.
3. Allow the ProBook Installer to create your DSDT, then reboot.

I'm focused on this phrase:
2. Run ProBook Installer and select only the DSDT options you did before in step 14.

Step 14 before selects everything, but does "only the DSDT options" mean only these choices:
- From "DSDT generator/patcher" select your "ProBook model," a "Fan behavior" that matches your preferences, and your "Display type." If you have an Atheros 9285 WiFi mini PCIe card installed, choose the 9285 patch under "Optional patches." Note: you must select one option from each of the first three groups to generate a patched DSDT. In addition, you must have no DSDT present in /Extra/dsdt.aml at the time you run this option. If you wish to regenerate a DSDT later, you must remove /Extra/dsdt.aml, reboot, and then run the ProBook Installer using your desired DSDT options. The "Intel USB3.0 patch" is another optional patch which allows the use of vanilla AppleUSBXHCI.kext instead of GenericUSBXHCI.kext. This USB3 patch is valid only if you have a 7-series chipset.

... but not include these before the above part that mentions "DSDT generator/patcher":
- From "OS X support kexts," select only the version that matches your laptop (4x30s or 4x40s) *and* only the version of OS X you just installed.

... or include any of these that follow that above part that mentions "DSDT generator/patcher":
- Check the option for "SSDT" generator.
- From "System definitions," select ONE system definition which matches closest your laptop.
- Chameleon: This allows you to boot from your main HDD/SSD
----

That's what I'm unclear about. It seems you have written to exclude the parts of Step 14 before and after thiat paragraph, but I don't know enough about the architecture or implications to be certain yet on my own.

Step 14 before selects everything, but does "only the DSDT options" mean only these choices:

... but not include these before the above part that mentions "DSDT generator/patcher":

... or include any of these that follow that above part that mentions "DSDT generator/patcher":

That's what I'm unclear about. It seems you have written to exclude the parts of Step 14 before and after thiat paragraph, but I don't know enough about the architecture or implications to be certain yet on my own.

I don't know what you mean by 'everything', but the answer to your question is Yes. Since you're rebuilding your DSDT, you select only the options related to DSDT.

Hey Guys, just bought a 2nd 4530s from ebay as a 2nd hackintosh and when I get to step 7, it's still not booting from USB drive. it goes to windows safe mode everytime. I've used this same drive to install my other hackintosh. I've triple checked that everything is turned off in bios that's in the guide...

What am I missing?

when I get to step 7, it's still not booting from USB drive. it goes to windows safe mode everytime.

Dunno...

Some questions, please:
7. Upon boot-up, hit Esc, and F9. Then, select the USB hard drive. Select the Flash Drive, called Installer, and hit enter. Let it load. Note: the 4x40s series laptop may not be able to boot with Unibeast defaults. If you run into trouble booting your 4x40s, try typing the boot flags 'PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No -x' before hitting enter.

Tell us which parts of step 7 you reach, and do, so we know where your experience deviates from what is mentioned there.

Do you press Esc?
Do you press F9?
Does the USB drive show in the list, and then do you select it?

Details, please. We can't see what you are seeing.

Why the touchpad works so bad? Jerks!

With what hardware? Definitely not jerking here...

Did you do EC reset?
HP ProBook 4730s.
CPU
Intel Core i3 2330M @ 2.20GHz
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
8,00ГБ Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Hewlett-Packard 167C (CPU 1)
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 3000 (HP)
Storage
698GB Seagate ST9750420AS (SATA)
Optical Drives
ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device
hp DVDRAM GT50N

PS What is EC?

Also works very unstable and slow. Sometimes there are artifacts:(

Also works very unstable and slow. Sometimes there are artifacts:(

Try adding your graphics resolution to org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

Code:
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1600x900x32</string>

- - - Updated - - -

PS What is EC?

EC is Embedded Controller. Use search to find 'EC reset'...

Back