Contribute
Register

Guide to Installing Mountain Lion on HP Probook

Status update:
My attempts to resume my Mavericks download after sleep failed, so I restarted the machine. Taking advantage of the opportunity, I restarted and shut down several times.

Out of 6 restarts, one led to a hang at the grey apple screen. I did not go to single user mode and run "/sbin/fsck -fy" afterwards, as the system restarted successfully several times after that, and is now working on the Mavericks download. If the main Internet holds, that will complete today (~5 hours from this), and I'll be free to build the installer and go on to other experiments.

Original post:
I'm new to OS X, so I can't give a complete status report - I don't know a lot to try now.

Machine is a 4540s with an i5 Ivy CPU, 8G RAM (from the factory, I believe) and a Silicon Power 128G SSD which I put in to to try OS X, discrete GPU, HD Webcam, finger print scanner, Super-Multi Optical drive. The machine came with Windows 7 on a 750G rotating drive, which I have not touched (not even to set up).

I do wonder if the SSD may be part of the problem. I can scavenge another drive to try, but I presume OS X will run off an SSD.

I installed Mountain Lion (purchased) using the 6.1.9 installer, using the instructions in your post to the best of my knowledge. I kept a copy open in another machine to refer to while carrying out the install, and I've reported my settings in earlier posts.

The problem I know of now is that sometimes when I start the machine, I reach the grey apple on lighter grey background screen and nothing further occurs. So far, retrying may lead to several occurrences of this in a row, and eventually the install proceeds past this. I also may encounter several sequences of proper behaviour in a row. I haven't noted any certain pattern.

i have extensive Linux experience (SLS, Debian, Red Hat, Gentoo, and the Ubuntus) and I rely on that for my understanding of OS X as it's built on BSD Unix. When the system hangs, I leave it for at least 30 seconds to see what may appear. When I do decide it's hung, I wait another 5 seconds (by habit) for the the drives to sync and journals to be written and then hold the power button to shut down.

Several times when the system has hung I have booted with "-f -x -s" and I don't always reach a prompt. When I do, I run "/sbin/fsck -fy". I exit one of these sessions with "shutdown -h now". If memory serves, I have not seen any reported errors, and there isn't any pattern to whether or not the system hangs on the next attempt.

Per your suggestion, I have also booted with "-v" and I haven't seen a pattern in that case either, although it may be a bit more likely to boot successfully.

I have installed twice so far before posting I was having problems getting a reliable set up. Since then I've been holding off trying anything else while I waited to see if there were diagnostics to report or suggested fixes to try.

Not related, but of impact is that the shared internet I have here is flaky. It has been traced to a phone company screw up, and is supposed to be repaired this coming Friday (we'll see, of course). One consequence is that I won't be able to re-download anything before then. I have small-cap access through a 3G Wireless modem, but not 5G of traffic to spare.

Also related is that the regular internet does come up some times, and I'm halfway through downloading Mavericks, as that is another possible solution to getting a reliable installation of OS X. As I'm new to OS X, I'm feeling my way about what works and what does not. I know I can sleep the machine and resume this download later. I suspect but do not know that I could reboot and resume this download. I'm quite certain I can't re-install and resume this download.

Since reporting I was having this problem several days ago, I have put the machine to sleep rather than reboot.

I can browse the web when either the regular Internet is working, or using the 3G wireless modem. I have successfully attached a 2d monitor by HDMI, and I'm using USB peripherals. I get sound and Skype can use the built-in camera.

As I'm new to this, I don't know and haven't tried much of what may be available from this Hackintosh, so I don't have much more to report, but that does not mean there isn't more that is problematic (or ok). I know now that the machine does not reliably boot up, and I'm reluctant to rely on this install. I'd rather know why and correct it.

Aside from the occasional cosmic ray a modern computer is a deterministic machine. Flaky behaviour means a bad part or a bad set up, and I can't rely on it as it is.

Cheers,
Bret

Never heard of "Silicon Power", but make sure your SSD has all the latest firmware updates. It only takes one corrupt bit in a file to cause issues.

You could also try a different device.

Also, you could do a fresh install, and carefully write down the options you're choosing in the ProBook Installer. Maybe you're selecting things that are not necessary or incorrect.

Hello,

Reflashed the BIOS. No problems booting Windows 7.

Installed a rotating drive in place of the SSD. Did two installs according to your guide, using Installer 6.1.9 after installing the 10.8.5 Combo Update (but not installing the very latest "10.8.5 Supplemental Update v1.0").

In both cases, the first shutdown does not work - requires holding power button to force.

Several cycles of start - shutdown lead to hang at grey apple screen. Boot with "-f -x -s", and sometimes this leads to a prompt, and sometimes it does not. When prompt is presented, run "/sbin/fsck -fy" and then "shutdown -h now".

A few times in each sequence, I have received a CMOS checksum error screen when rebooting, particularly after booting on the USB Mountain Lion install stick, but not only then.

The events each time are not identical, but largely the same in terms of occurances and in how often they occur (successful boots vs hangs, etc.)

Here are the choices I used for the two installs.
BIOS settings (bare listing means "checked", entry with ":" shows chosen option):
Wireless Button State
Embedded WLAN device
Embedded LAN Controller
Wake on LAN: Disable
All hardware devices checked (presumably means "use this")
Wake unit from sleep when lid is opened
Boost Converter (appears to enable "Turbo Mode"?)
USB legacy support
Data Execution Prevention
Max SATA Speed: 6.0 Gpbs (why the ".0" bit?)
SATA Device Mode: AHCI
Virtualization Technology (VTx)
Multi Core CPU
Intel(R) HT Technology
Boot Mode: Legacy

BIOS information screen shows "Test WLAN" for wifi entry although card works.
Partitioned to 120G HFS+J and remainder to VFAT. GUID Partition Table.

OS X Support kexts
4x40s support kexts
DSDT generator/patcher
ProBook model​
4x40s/6x70b ... Ivy​
Fan behaviour​
Readings only​
Display type​
Low-resolution screen​
Optional patches​
Broadcom 4322x patch (even though the wireless card is already working)​
Intel USB 3.0 patch
SSDT generator
System Definitions
i3/i5 Ivy Bridge
Chameleon r2266
Optional hardware-specific fixes
EDID generator
Misc OS X fixes
Color profiles​
Sleep fix​
Sleep image fix​
blinkscreen
Extra tools
All except HWMonitor (SL) (does include HWMonitor (Lion and ML)

Installer reports 22.9 MB of space will be used
After installer completed, finished Combo Update to cause reboot.
System does not shut down - requires force power off.
On re-start, hang at grep apple

Begin boot using "-v" option
Booted with "-f -x -s". Ran "/sbin/fsck -fy" and received report of no errors. "shutdown -h now"

Several cycles of start-shutdown and sleep-start succeed. Finally I get hang at grey apple screen. Two attempts at "-f -x -s" hang before reaching the prompt. Third attempt succeeds, run "/sbin/fsck -fy", then "shutdown -h now".
... start over
=================================================================
30 October 2013
OS X Support kexts
4x40s support kexts
DSDT generator/patcher
ProBook model​
4x40s/6x70b ... Ivy​
Fan behaviour​
Readings only​
Display type​
Low-resolution screen​
Optional patches​
Intel USB 3.0 patch
SSDT generator
System Definitions
i3/i5 Ivy Bridge
Chameleon r2266
Optional hardware-specific fixes
AHCI 3d parth kext​
EDID generator
Misc OS X fixes
Color profiles​
Sleep fix​
Sleep image restore​
blinkscreen
Extra tools
All except Trim enabler & HWMonitor (SL) (instead includes HWMonitor (Lion and ML)

Well, it can't be the drive. The CMOS error is worrisome, but I don't know about it. Searching suggests a clock kext problem, and I have no experience messing with individual parts of the OS.

What do you suggest?

Thanks,
Bret

Hello,

What do you suggest?

Thanks,
Bret

You could take a look at my experiment notes with my 4340s see link below. I did also get the cmos issues only when booting between osx and windows, not linux ubuntu.

Code:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/102684-progress-probook-4x40s.html

maybe for sake of installing osx, try vtx off in bios, and anything else that may not be critical. you can enable it after you get osx booting normally and without unibeast.

In both cases, the first shutdown does not work - requires holding power button to force.

Be patient. That shutdown can take a while.

Several cycles of start - shutdown lead to hang at grey apple screen. Boot with "-f -x -s", and sometimes this leads to a prompt, and sometimes it does not. When prompt is presented, run "/sbin/fsck -fy" and then "shutdown -h now".

After install you should be booting with no flags.

A few times in each sequence, I have received a CMOS checksum error screen when rebooting, particularly after booting on the USB Mountain Lion install stick, but not only then.

Checksum errors are normal prior to full install (eg. before running the ProBook installer). It is caused from running unpatched AppleRTC.

Do you have a Broadcom 4322x that needs that patch?

System does not shut down - requires force power off.
On re-start, hang at grep apple

Be patient. Let the system shut itself down.

After install you should be booting with no flags.

Do you have a Broadcom 4322x that needs that patch?

If it boots successfully, I would have no occasion to use the flags, but it hangs at the grey apple screen - meaning for several minutes at least each time.

I did puchase a Broadcom 4322 for my earlier experiments with a T61 and Snow Leopard. I have transplanted that card to my 4540s. I also have a Qualcomm Atheros AR9280 802.11 a/b/g/n Dual WLAN mPCIe AR5BHB92 on the way, but not available yet. I hope I chose properly.

After my two trials with Mountain Lion last night, I tried with Mavericks after reading about boot flags in that thread. I am still getting the occasional hang at the grey apple screen, but otherwise the result is good enough to suggest I spend time testing that install to decide if it's "reliable enough". This reminds me of the days of Windows 3.1 and the tweaking we would do to arrive at a system we could live with as long as we protected ourselves.

If it seems steady, I'll also see about finding a way to update the firmware on my SSD and then install to that.

I will post in a Mavericks thread about this experience, and resume here if it becomes appropriate to try Mountain Lion again - I'm really just after a system I can rely on for development. However if you can see a reason I might want to favor Mountain Lion, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Regards,
Bret

If it boots successfully, I would have no occasion to use the flags, but it hangs at the grey apple screen - meaning for several minutes at least each time.

I did puchase a Broadcom 4322 for my earlier experiments with a T61 and Snow Leopard. I have transplanted that card to my 4540s. I also have a Qualcomm Atheros AR9280 802.11 a/b/g/n Dual WLAN mPCIe AR5BHB92 on the way, but not available yet. I hope I chose properly.

After my two trials with Mountain Lion last night, I tried with Mavericks after reading about boot flags in that thread. I am still getting the occasional hang at the grey apple screen, but otherwise the result is good enough to suggest I spend time testing that install to decide if it's "reliable enough". This reminds me of the days of Windows 3.1 and the tweaking we would do to arrive at a system we could live with as long as we protected ourselves.

If it seems steady, I'll also see about finding a way to update the firmware on my SSD and then install to that.

I will post in a Mavericks thread about this experience, and resume here if it becomes appropriate to try Mountain Lion again - I'm really just after a system I can rely on for development. However if you can see a reason I might want to favor Mountain Lion, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Regards,
Bret

BCM4322 card does not require a DSDT patch, it works OOB. 4322x is used for Broadcom 43224/43225 card.

BCM4322 card does not require a DSDT patch, it works OOB. 4322x is used for Broadcom 43224/43225 card.

Ah.

Given that I already did, and that (hopefully soon) I will replace it with an Atheros AR9280 what would you recommend I do about this mistake?

If the solution is to re-install, I'd better do that sooner rather than later.

And how would I deal with the replacement - is there any action to be taken?

Thanks for your help,
Bret

Ah.

Given that I already did, and that (hopefully soon) I will replace it with an Atheros AR9280 what would you recommend I do about this mistake?

If the solution is to re-install, I'd better do that sooner rather than later.

And how would I deal with the replacement - is there any action to be taken?

Thanks for your help,
Bret

See post #1 about recreating your DSDT.

Regenerate the DSDT

Sorry, I'm a bit uncertain about the phrasing of Post #1 vs my inexperience and lack of knowledge of what items go together.

So, when using the Installer to regenerate the DSDT, I select these items (as appropriate):
- From "DSDT generator/patcher" select your "ProBook model," a "Fan behavior" that matches your preferences, and your "Display type." If you have an Atheros 9285 WiFi mini PCIe card installed, choose the 9285 patch under "Optional patches." Note: you must select one option from each of the first three groups to generate a patched DSDT. In addition, you must have no DSDT present in /Extra/dsdt.aml at the time you run this option. If you wish to regenerate a DSDT later, you must remove /Extra/dsdt.aml, reboot, and then run the ProBook Installer using your desired DSDT options. The "Intel USB3.0 patch" is another optional patch which allows the use of vanilla AppleUSBXHCI.kext instead of GenericUSBXHCI.kext. This USB3 patch is valid only if you have a 7-series chipset.

... but not (for example) these:
- Check the option for "SSDT" generator.

... or any other items outside of the ones mentioned in the '- From "DSDT generator/patcher"...' paragraph quoted above?

Cheers,
Bret

Back