Contribute
Register

Guide to Installing Mountain Lion on HP Probook

I purchased Mountain Lion from the store. I have a partly working Snow Leopard install (from the purchased DVD) which I used to download the Mountain Lion installer and create the USB boot drive.

I re-partitioned the SSD to begin this re-install, and it's GPT.

Bret

Provide your install.log.

And boot with "-v" and provide a quality photo of the entire screen.

Also, what version of ML?

An interesting pattern.

I booted with "-v" expecting to see an error but the machine presented the login screen. I logged in and then shut down from the menu.

Next time the system hung at the grey apple again.

This pattern alternated for about 4 cycles, and then the machine began providing the login screen each time.

Note, that for the first 4 or 6 attempts, when I reached the desktop I was alerted that the date and time were in the past ("before Jan 1, 1980") and then each time after a moment the correct time would show in the listing at the upper right of the screen (I don't have Mac nomenclature down yet).

I'm still getting this some times when I log in, but the clock shows the correct time above.

I tried sleep then, from the menu, and it behaved properly. I next dared to close the lid, and I could not hear any sound from the machine (the fan stopped). Opening the lid brought the display back.

Your methods are unconventional, but they are effective.

Do you have any comments on the settings I did use? May I turn Virtualization Technology (VTx) back on (for running Virtualbox)? Need that have been turned off in the first place (it doesn't refer to the exact same thing as listed in the first post)?

I will go to sleep, and discover if the machine also wakes in the morning. if you think any of my chosen settings might be better changed, please let me know so I can re-do the install before I go further in setting up the system.

And any ideas about that odd clock warning?

Thanks,
Bret

Do you have any comments on the settings I did use?

blinkscreen and screen brightness fix are somewhat mutually exclusive.

May I turn Virtualization Technology (VTx) back on (for running Virtualbox)? Need that have been turned off in the first place (it doesn't refer to the exact same thing as listed in the first post)?

VTx doesn't matter. It is VT-d that matters.

And any ideas about that odd clock warning?

Is your clock set correctly in BIOS? Could be CMOS reset which can happen until you have patched AppleRTC in place.

Ok, I've redone the install.

Install with working Wifi leads to 1024x768 desktop. I scavenged a Broadcom 4322 from another laptop.
Install the 10.8.5 Combo Update.

Installer choices
:
OS X Support kexts
4x40s support kexts​
DSDT generator/patcher
ProBook model
4x40s/6x70b ... Ivy​
Fan behaviour​
Readings only​
Display type​
Low-resolution screen​
Optional patches​
Broadcom 4322x patch (even though the wireless card is already working)​
Intel USB 3.0 patch
SSDT generator
System Definitions
i3/i5 Ivy Bridge
Chameleon r2266
Optional hardware-specific fixes
AHCI patch (10.8.x only) <= as I am getting sporadic hangs at grey apple screen​
AHCI 3rd parth kext <= as I am getting sporadic hangs at grey apple screen​
EDID generator
Misc OS X fixes
Color profiles​
Sleep fix​
Sleep image fix​
blinkscreen
Extra tools
All except HWMonitor (SL) (does include HWMonitor (Lion and ML)

Installer reports 22.9 MB of space will be used.

After installer completed, finished Combo Update to cause reboot.

System does not shut down - requires force power off.
On re-start, hang at grey apple
Begin boot using "-v" option
Booted with "-f -x -s". Ran "/sbin/fsck -fy" and received report of errors and message all were repaired. "shutdown -h now"
Boot with "-v". Receive login screen without intervening boot messages (?!?).
Desktop shows at 1366x768 (correct) resolution.

Sometimes boot with no parameters leads to what should happen with "-f -x -s" (?!?)
Sometimes the desktop is slow - starting software hangs for 10 - 15 seconds.

1. What can I try to get reliable results?
  2. Why when I don't interupt and add any parameters do I get text boots instead of graphical boots?
  3. When I do run "fsck -fy" why don't I see any sign of a TRIM command? That showed earlier when I was using the 6.1.6 installer. Is this an issue?

I have the thought of trying with a rotating drive instead of my SSD, but it's late, so I want to ask first.

Regards,
Bret

I noticed when i pressed a key at the Chameleon screen that the parameters I had entered before persisted - across boots. I didn't anticipate this. I erased them and have been rebooting and sleeping the machine since.

I used Spotlight (I haven't worked with OS X before) to ask about TRIM, and found the 'Trim Enabler' app. Running that gave me a message that it was attempting to install a helper, and my password was required to grant permission. I gave that, then enabled TRIM (I think).

The machine has still hung at the grey apple logo. Forcing power-off and restarting led to a login screen.

I would like the install to be reliable - any thoughts?

Cheers,
Bret

Huh? You must run the ProBook Installer *after* all updates...

Huh? You must run the ProBook Installer *after* all updates...

I did.

After running the Combo Update, I left it open but did not press the 'Reboot' button it offered. As the instructions say:
Update using the combo update PKG and DO NOT RESTART.

Maybe the Update says 'Restart' instead of 'Reboot' - I don't recall now.

I ran the Installer then, as per the instructions. When that completed I returned to the Combo Update window and then pressed the 'Reboot' button to complete the Combo Update by rebooting the machine.

How can I get a reliable start up?

Regards,
Bret

I did.

After running the Combo Update, I left it open but did not press the 'Reboot' button it offered. As the instructions say:

Maybe the Update says 'Restart' instead of 'Reboot' - I don't recall now.

I ran the Installer then, as per the instructions. When that completed I returned to the Combo Update window and then pressed the 'Reboot' button to complete the Combo Update by rebooting the machine.

That is not what you wrote in post #203:
You said:
Installer reports 22.9 MB of space will be used.

How can I get a reliable start up?

I would double check that it is not a kernel cache issue. Use DPCIManager to rebuild cache and pay attention to any errors.

Also post your ioreg and I'll have a look: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

That is not what you wrote in post #203:

I would double check that it is not a kernel cache issue. Use DPCIManager to rebuild cache and pay attention to any errors.

Also post your ioreg and I'll have a look: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

Well, i didn't write in #203 that I'd started the Combo Update before running the installer, but then, that's what the instructions say to do, so that's what I did. Then I left the Combo Update window open after it completed while I ran the installer, and then I finished by completing the Combo Update window so it could do any clean up activity that it might do behind the scenes when the user indicates they are ready to reboot the system as required by the Combo Update installer.

Now let's see if I can attach my IOreg file. Thanks for your help with this - at the beginning of my OS X Hackintosh career there isn't a lot I can contribute.

Regards,
Bret
View attachment Bret-4540s.ioreg

Well, i didn't write in #203 that I'd started the Combo Update before running the installer, but then, that's what the instructions say to do, so that's what I did. Then I left the Combo Update window open after it completed while I ran the installer, and then I finished by completing the Combo Update window so it could do any clean up activity that it might do behind the scenes when the user indicates they are ready to reboot the system as required by the Combo Update installer.

Now let's see if I can attach my IOreg file. Thanks for your help with this - at the beginning of my OS X Hackintosh career there isn't a lot I can contribute.

Regards,
Bret
View attachment 71017

I don't see anything particularly wrong in this ioreg. And I think your questions/issues have been somewhat lost in the confusion surrounding what exactly you're doing.

What is your status?

Back