Contribute
Register

Guide To Install Yosemite on HP Laptops with Clover UEFI

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure you formatted the USB with Rufus as GPT?
I had a similar problem, it turns out that when you select the ISO in Rufus, it changes the partition scheme back to MBR, so you first have to select the ISO and only then choose the partition type as GPT.

Usually you use MBR for the a UEFI USB installer. With some computers you can use GPT, but not all.

Still missing Board-id. Make sure you know how to use CC SMBIOS...

I didn't write every attribute.
Board ID: Mac-2E6FAB96566FE58C

I only have blanks for Board Version, Board Serial Number and SmUUID. All other fields were populated from the wand.

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure you formatted the USB with Rufus as GPT?
I had a similar problem, it turns out that when you select the ISO in Rufus, it changes the partition scheme back to MBR, so you first have to select the ISO and only then choose the partition type as GPT.

This solved my problem!

However, it has led into another problem. I can boot into the windows installer thorough The EFI file however, I can't install windows into the desired partition.

In the guide under the heading Install Windows UEFI as dual boot, step 3 states to format the partition for windows as Mac OS Extended. However, when I do this and format the partition to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and I go into the windows installer by booting through the EFI file, and I select the desired partition, the option to format is greyed out and a notice is provided stating "Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. The partition is of an unrecognised type.". It doesn't seem to be able to format the HFS partition.

I also tried changing the file system to Ms-Dos and exFat but when I format the drive in the windows installer I says "Windows cannot be installed int this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.". This makes sense obviously but how do I get around the windows not recognising the Mac OS Extended format and not being able to format it?

Has anyone else had this problem?

This solved my problem!

However, it has led into another problem. I can boot into the windows installer thorough The EFI file however, I can't install windows into the desired partition.

In the guide under the heading Install Windows UEFI as dual boot, step 3 states to format the partition for windows as Mac OS Extended. However, when I do this and format the partition to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and I go into the windows installer by booting through the EFI file, and I select the desired partition, the option to format is greyed out and a notice is provided stating "Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. The partition is of an unrecognised type.". It doesn't seem to be able to format the HFS partition.

I also tried changing the file system to Ms-Dos and exFat but when I format the drive in the windows installer I says "Windows cannot be installed int this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.". This makes sense obviously but how do I get around the windows not recognising the Mac OS Extended format and not being able to format it?

See FAQ

This solved my problem!

Make sure your Windows ISO is a retail Windows ISO (not HP OEM) and that you created your USB with the "Win7 USB Download Tool" from Microsoft...

You cannot set the partition to exFAT or FAT32 as Disk Utility will create an MBR/GPT hybrid (needed for BootCamp on real Macs). Windows will see the hybrid as MBR and Windows UEFI cannot be installed to MBR.

Note: If you want to use an HP OEM Windows UEFI, you'll need to install Windows first, doing it the "HP way". Then read here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/133940-mavericks-windows-8-same-drive-without-erasing.html

I didn't write every attribute.
Board ID: Mac-2E6FAB96566FE58C

I only have blanks for Board Version, Board Serial Number and SmUUID. All other fields were populated from the wand.

The good news is that the just-purchased WiFi USB card Netgear WNA3100M seems to work fine.

6. Can't install Windows UEFI because it says this is a MBR drive
If you use Disk Utility to create a FAT partition, your drive will be converted to GPT/Hybrid MBR. To fix this, delete or reformat that FAT partition to Mac OS Extended, or use gdisk in Linux usb to convert you drive to GPT/Protective MBR.

When I do a gdisk command on the drive, I get:
sudo gdisk /dev/disk0
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.10

Warning: Devices opened with shared lock will not have their
partition table automatically reloaded!
Partition table scan:
MBR: protective
BSD: not present
APM: not present
GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

As you can see, the drive is GPT/Protective MBR. But windows still cannot format the MAC OS Extended Partition.

Any ideas?

Make sure your Windows ISO is a retail Windows ISO (not HP OEM) and that you created your USB with the "Win7 USB Download Tool" from Microsoft...

You cannot set the partition to exFAT or FAT32 as Disk Utility will create an MBR/GPT hybrid (needed for BootCamp on real Macs). Windows will see the hybrid as MBR and Windows UEFI cannot be installed to MBR.

Note: If you want to use an HP OEM Windows UEFI, you'll need to install Windows first, doing it the "HP way". Then read here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/133940-mavericks-windows-8-same-drive-without-erasing.html

The "Win7 USB Download Tool" from Microsoft that you suggested did not work for me. It could not be booted from when I selected "Boot from EFI file". The RUFU program worked however once I fixed what has been described in my previous posts.

Im confused now, as this guide seems to illustrate that Windows UEFI can in fact be installed after Yosemite?

The "Win7 USB Download Tool" from Microsoft that you suggested did not work for me. It could not be booted from when I selected "Boot from EFI file". The RUFU program worked however once I fixed what has been described in my previous posts.

I stay away from third-party tools like Rufus. Microsoft already provides a tool that works perfectly.

Im confused now, as this guide seems to illustrate that Windows UEFI can in fact be installed after Yosemite?

With retail Windows. Not with OEM.

I stay away from third-party tools like Rufus. Microsoft already provides a tool that works perfectly.

With retail Windows. Not with OEM.

The Microsoft tool strangely wouldn't work for me. Apologies for misunderstanding you, I definitely have a retail ISO.

Back