Contribute
Register

Guide To Install Mavericks with Clover Bootloader

As you all know (from reading post #1), it is not wise to use the "Silent Fan Patch" with Clover, especially in a multi-boot scenario.

Today, I've ported Fanreset.dylib (used in Chameleon) as a Clover EFI driver (64-bit only). It is attached for those who would like to help test it. Place in EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI.

Note: So far, tested only on my 4530s.

Update: Tested on my 4540s. It did not crash (even with CSM disabled), which was my concern. And it "thinks" it is successful, so it is probably working, but the furnace stopped working in the middle of the night here and it is very cold outside (-24C) and therefore relatively cold inside until the furnace gets caught up again. I will test more when the ambient temperature has risen a bit...

Update #2: Tested to my satisfaction. See: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-proboo...avericks-clover-bootloader-31.html#post720110

Attachments

• HPFanReset.efi.zip
    6.2 KB · Views: 197
Seems to be working, although I am using, modified quiet mod (fan always on (on lowest idle) and then slight ramp up till 57, then it is the same as quiet patch). After wake, I was able to get my CPU to 44°C, so it bumped up fan speed to 2200rpm from 1925rpm (idle). I never experienced any issue with fan though, running on Clover from day 1 on Mavericks.

Seems to be working, although I am using, modified quiet mod (fan always on (on lowest idle) and then slight ramp up till 57, then it is the same as quiet patch). After wake, I was able to get my CPU to 44°C, so it bumped up fan speed to 2200rpm from 1925rpm (idle). I never experienced any issue with fan though, running on Clover from day 1 on Mavericks.

Using a patch that never turns the fan off is not as dangerous as the one that does. The only danger is that it fan speed gets set at a low speed, then you restart into Windows and run some something intense (video encode, for example). Without Fanreset.dylib/HPFanReset.efi, the fan would stay at the low speed despite the higher CPU temps.

So the way to test is to use OS X lightly, restart, then go into Windows and run Prime95 or Handbrake. If the fan ramps up with the Windows activity, then HPFanReset.efi is working. If not, then stop the test and let me know. I still have more testing to do on my 4540s to be sure it is working (trying with both CSM enabled and disabled, for example).

Does anyone have some fixes for scrambled verbose boot?

It may be an issue related to incorrect detection of EDID for display. If injecting a custom EDID using clover configurator the display goes totally blank at boot... no information is displayed and with some researches maybe this could be a solution to our bug.

As you may see the problem is related to timing.... incorrect synchronization between the data that graphic card detects and the physical display, so the data is send with different timing and at the receiver side is incorrectly interpreted.

This is my theory. Can anyone tell me how to detect the correct edid for our display?

I injected EDID before, but then my internal display become secondary display. You can try drop/undrop BGRT table by uncheck DropOEM and only drop CPU SSDT tables (they're in my OP). BGRT is related to display. I don't have this on my HP 8470p or 8460p, can't test.

I injected EDID before, but then my internal display become secondary display. You can try drop/undrop BGRT table by uncheck DropOEM and only drop CPU SSDT tables (they're in my OP). BGRT is related to display. I don't have this on my HP 8470p or 8460p, can't test.

Done that. Same behavior as before: display goes blank during boot (norma or verbose) afterwards the login screen appears.

Done that. Same behavior as before: display goes blank during boot (norma or verbose) afterwards the login screen appears.

Try without Inject EDID.

Try without Inject EDID.

Scrambled image reappears during boot. Interesting stuff that this appears only when CUSTOM EDID is inserted without checking the Inject EDID.

So now I'm only dropping the BGRT table and the behavior is same one as before... scrambled image during normal/verbose boot.

Back