Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Sierra on the GA-Z170X-UD3

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could be the BIOS version. I'm thinking of downgrading to F6 or F20. Anyone on F6 and stable?

These restarts seem to be happening mostly when under load. Maybe a processor thing?
Upgrade your bios to F23b and see if it makes a difference. The Skylake as well as Kaby Lake CPUS suffer
from a major Hyper Threading flaw in the micro code. Flash the latest F23B bios and leave Hyper Threading on Auto in bios or alternatively stay on your current Bios and disable HT. My Skylake is vvveeerrryyy stable on F23b.
Cheers

Last edited:
Upgrade your bios to F23b and see if it makes a difference. The Skylake as well as Kaby Lake CPUS suffer
from a major Hyper Threading flaw in the micro code. Flash the latest F23B bios and leave Hyper Threading on Auto in bios or alternatively stay on your current Bios an disable HT. My Skylake is vvveeerrryyy stable on F23b.
Cheers
I'm already on F23b and I'm still getting random restarts. I've been on this bios for a while.

I'm already on F23b and I'm still getting random restarts. I've been on this bios for a while.
I suggest that you check the stability of your rig by running it for a while with HT disabled in the bios.
If your instability persists then at least you know that you need to look elsewhere for the problem.

I suggest that you check the stability of your rig by running it for a while with HT disabled in the bios.
If your instability persists then at least you know that you need to look elsewhere for the problem.
Sure, i'll check that out. Thanks

Sure, i'll check that out. Thanks
Wish you luck. I just remember, some weeks ago I had the same problem but never bothered to try and discover the cause. What I did, delete the nvram.plist file in the EFI partition, reboot the machine and it would again be stable for a few days. But that seems to be gone now, with my rig only being rebooted
when I have a power failure or after I changed something such as in Clover. Did reboot a minute ago after I upgraded to Clover 4200. Perhaps you should also check that you run the latest Clover controlling your rig.
Cheers

Hey guys,

For the life of me I can't figure out how to fix the random restarts issue. I now doubt it's related to USB3 as this is happening even when I have no USB hard drives connected. Who knows, maybe it's from the peripherals.
I have no clue about where to look for issues. Please, I really need help on this. I can't work on this system.

Following my earlier recommendation to test stability with Hyper Threading disabled in bios I suggest that you also run your rig with XMP -Xtreme Memory Profile - disabled in bios. I remember some time ago I needed to do that on an older system of mine, and that solved a lot of issues. If you are absolutely certain that you have no configuration errors "hacking mistakes" and disabling HT and XMP in bios does not "fix" the problem, then try a spare power supply. I assume that you have hybernating disabled, so when your rig is rebooting when waking it may be that your "image" in memory got corrupted whilst your rig was asleep as a result of a power supply not playing along during the sleep cycle. Let me know when you found something that cures your reboot problem. A bad or underrated PSU can also be the cause of random restarts during normal
usage of your rig. Another item can be inadequate cooling, maybe your rig is running at temperatures above the threshold set in bios. Threshold in bios set too low or too "safe" :) for your cooling system.
Greets

Following my earlier recommendation to test stability with Hyper Threading disabled in bios I suggest that you also run your rig with XMP -Xtreme Memory Profile - disabled in bios. I remember some time ago I needed to do that on an older system of mine, and that solved a lot of issues. If you are absolutely certain that you have no configuration errors "hacking mistakes" and disabling HT and XMP in bios does not "fix" the problem, then try a spare power supply. I assume that you have hybernating disabled, so when your rig is rebooting when waking it may be that your "image" in memory got corrupted whilst your rig was asleep as a result of a power supply not playing along during the sleep cycle. Let me know when you found something that cures your reboot problem. A bad or underrated PSU can also be the cause of random restarts during normal
usage of your rig. Another item can be inadequate cooling, maybe your rig is running at temperatures above the threshold set in bios. Threshold in bios set too low or too "safe" :) for your cooling system.
Greets

I've just disabled HT and I'll let you know if there's any more reboots. XMP was disabled, my power supply is more than enough, I have a Corsair RM850i and I'm positive I have no cooling issues.

I've just disabled HT and I'll let you know if there's any more reboots. XMP was disabled, my power supply is more than enough, I have a Corsair RM850i and I'm positive I have no cooling issues.
Thanks for your feedback. Another item to check is whether your USB devices require more current than a port can actually supply. Normally that cannot happen but sometime ago I used a USB 2 hub and plugged in devices with a combined current requirement in access of what the port could provide. One was a Logitech camera and the other a Wacom Intuos 5 tablet. That combination did not "play" well.
I just moved the two items so that each one was plugged into its own dedicated port with the current drawn by each device, on it's own port, being well within the current
rating available on each port.
Wish you luck again let me know when your problem is solved and what it actually turned out to be. I once used a Corsair 850i but that I returned after I unpacked it and saw what I was getting. Ribbon cables on a PSU is not for me :)
Greets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back