Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Sierra on the GA-Z170X-UD3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your feedback. Another item to check is whether your USB devices require more current than a port can actually supply. Normally that cannot happen but sometime ago I used a USB 2 hub and plugged in devices with a combined current requirement in access of what the port could provide. One was a Logitech camera and the other a Wacom Intuos 5 tablet. That combination did not "play" well.
I just moved the two items so that each one was plugged into its own dedicated port with the current drawn by each device, on it's own port, being well within the current
rating available on each port.
Wish you luck again let me know when your problem is solved and what it actually turned out to be. I once used a Corsair 850i but that I returned after I unpacked it and saw what I was getting. Ribbon cables on a PSU is not for me :)
Greets

I did notice that it has a coil whine when the processor is in full load. It's definitely not the graphics card, it's the PSU. Not sure if it's a reason for RMA.

I'm usually just using USB3 hard drives which are mostly powered separately.

I did notice that it has a coil whine when the processor is in full load. It's definitely not the graphics card, it's the PSU. Not sure if it's a reason for RMA.

I'm usually just using USB3 hard drives which are mostly powered separately.
You basically have identical hardware to mine so something is wrong on your side.
My idea with the PSU is to temporarily change it out with a spare one that you or one of your friends may have lying around. If I recollect correctly you experience general random reboots and NOT only upon wake from sleep, so it is likely that you have a hardware problem. One can however never tell, it could also be a driver or program that pulls your rig to it's knees. Sometimes thes kind of problems are very difficult to localize and normally that is only possible through isolation, testing, more isolation and more testing, until you hit the nail on it's head.
At the moment my wisdom is at it's end, so wish you luck patience and endurance.
Greets

You basically have identical hardware to mine so something is wrong on your side.
My idea with the PSU is to temporarily change it out with a spare one that you or one of your friends may have lying around. If I recollect correctly you experience general random reboots and NOT only upon wake from sleep, so it is likely that you have a hardware problem. One can however never tell, it could also be a driver or program that pulls your rig to it's knees. Sometimes thes kind of problems are very difficult to localize and normally that is only possible through isolation, testing, more isolation and more testing, until you hit the nail on it's head.
At the moment my wisdom is at it's end, so wish you luck patience and endurance.
Greets

I wish there was a way to log whatever is happening when it's rebooting.

I don't really use sleep, so that possibility is out of the way.

I wish there was a way to log whatever is happening when it's rebooting.

I don't really use sleep, so that possibility is out of the way.

If you do not use sleep then I suggest run your rig with just "vanilla" hardware.
Remove everything but your mouse and keyboard. Remove any fancy keyboard and fancy mouse as well and test with stock standard USB peripherals. I you installed a Bluetooth controller card even remove that. Incidentally I cannot just use any free pcie slot for my Bluetooth controller because some take resources away from your 16 lane video slot. Study your handbook carefully. I ended up using the last slot furthest away from the pcie-16 video slot, the one just above the PSU.
Cheers.

Anybody get thunderbolt working on this? I did a build for a friend with an apollo twin thunderbolt and realized after we got the board that we needed an ultra. is there an expantion or something that will work to get the apollo working on the UD3?

If you do not use sleep then I suggest run your rig with just "vanilla" hardware.
Remove everything but your mouse and keyboard. Remove any fancy keyboard and fancy mouse as well and test with stock standard USB peripherals. I you installed a Bluetooth controller card even remove that. Incidentally I cannot just use any free pcie slot for my Bluetooth controller because some take resources away from your 16 lane video slot. Study your handbook carefully. I ended up using the last slot furthest away from the pcie-16 video slot, the one just above the PSU.
Cheers.

I've been using it for two days and everything was running fine. That until I opened up Izotope RX6 and I was processing something. I just got the first reboot in a while. This happened a lot during Izotope renders in the past as well.

I've also noticed that sometimes when I restart and go back into OSX, it shows the "Denied" symbol on startup. This is also kinda random. Sometimes it shows it and I have to restart, other times it just boots.

Anybody get thunderbolt working on this? I did a build for a friend with an apollo twin thunderbolt and realized after we got the board that we needed an ultra. is there an expantion or something that will work to get the apollo working on the UD3?

I've struggled a lot with getting Thunderbolt to work on this one but no dice really. I have an Asus ThunderboltEXII, managed to get it to work somehow but it's never stable and never sees the thunderbolt devices properly. I'd say for now this is a no-go. Maybe the Ultra version would work.

I've heard people getting thunderbolt to work with the USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Apple adapter. This may work on the Ultra version.

I've been using it for two days and everything was running fine. That until I opened up Izotope RX6 and I was processing something. I just got the first reboot in a while. This happened a lot during Izotope renders in the past as well.

I've also noticed that sometimes when I restart and go back into OSX, it shows the "Denied" symbol on startup. This is also kinda random. Sometimes it shows it and I have to restart, other times it just boots.

What did you actually do that reboots are less frequent now? I am not familiar with Izotope RX6 software, so I cannot comment on that one.

What did you actually do that reboots are less frequent now? I am not familiar with Izotope RX6 software, so I cannot comment on that one.

I don't really think it's related to the software. I've had restarts while working in other programs too. Just this one had the most reboots. Could be a memory thing? I have 32 GB of Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz

I've disabled HT, uninstalled Paragon NTFS (i've read that this could cause reboots too). I don't think it's a hardware problem either. It should behave differently under these circumstances.

I'm pretty much beaten on this one. Probably will wait for High Sierra, hopefully this one would be stable.

I don't really think it's related to the software. I've had restarts while working in other programs too. Just this one had the most reboots. Could be a memory thing? I have 32 GB of Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz

I've disabled HT, uninstalled Paragon NTFS (i've read that this could cause reboots too). I don't think it's a hardware problem either. It should behave differently under these circumstances.

I'm pretty much beaten on this one. Probably will wait for High Sierra, hopefully this one would be stable.
Something I just remembered. Some time ago, when I added a new SSD drive I had also quite a lot of random issues, I solved that by turning "Aggressive Link Management" off in in the peripheral section under SATA, in the bios. The correct wording I forgot, can't go into bios right now to check, busy with some important stuff. Try that, it cannot harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back