Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Remove extra Clover BIOS boot entries & prevent further problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, attach ioreg...
Thanks, I read the Link, well at least I tried, but I don't understand anything....

What is the ioreg for?

What is the ioreg for?
I don't know, i thought VioletDragon was asking me to post one and replied as such, then realised he was asking you to post one so edited my post to try and keep the flow of the thread going.

Thanks, I read the Link, well at least I tried, but I don't understand anything....
IO Registry Explorer is an app that lets you inspect your hardware and drivers almost like Device Manager on windows. You can:

1) search for it on google or, if you have an apple developer account
2) download the 'Hardware IO Tools for Xcode' package from the apple developer site

Note that the guide mentioned suggests using an old version of the app.

BTW This ghost entry problem is definitely a Bios bug, as it only adds Mac OS drives as extra entries, and I even get extra entries if I attach my Iphone (which has modified Mac OS drive) but the added entries are a repeat of my Sierra drive SSD not the phone, the USB connection of the phone is just the trigger....

so cool, its work. dont need to do flash bios. thx

Hi, I have so many options on the boot manager. I don´t know where they come from and what I can delete and how.

From Left to right it´s:

1. Boot Windows from Legacy HD1
2. Boot Windows from EFI
3. Boot Windows from Legacy HD4
4. Boot Windows from Legacy HD2
5. Boot Microsoft EFI boot from EFI
6. Boot MacOs from Sierra
7. Boot Recovery from Recovery HD

I have 2 SSD and 2 HDD Splittet up for OSx and Windows.

Would be nice if someone can help me figuring this out.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Foto 20.05.17, 11 44 46.jpg
    Foto 20.05.17, 11 44 46.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 118
This is definitely a repeatable problem. In response to a question elsewhere, I reconnected my Samsung SSD to sata1. The Samsung M.2 drive was still installed at sata5. Both drives are nearly identical, and clones of each other with bootable clover and El Capitan. None of the other drives had boot loaders installed. [Note that the UEFI FAT is an 8GB USB stick that is blank and formatted to FAT32 MBR (MS-DOS) and was used to capture the screen images. It is definitely not a boot drive (NOTHING on it), but my confused BIOS seems to think it is.] After a few restarts, by BIOS looked like this:

View attachment 156378

I removed the Samsung SSD, and since I am not using it, I also removed the 2TB drive (this drive was completely blank, but it's big and noisy and I don't need it). The BIOS then changed to this:

View attachment 156379

I went to work, after the first attempt to remove the extra entries in the BIOS (UEFI 238475MB is NOT a real hard disk), here was the result:

View attachment 156380

Since my M.2 drive was not showing at all, I removed everything using the method described above, rebooted, and here was the result:

View attachment 156381

Now my computer is happy and stable again!
i have the same problem.Once i created efi for mac on the disk and i changed it,but the first one is still remained(like the picture u post).Even if i erased the ssd,a “mac os x”is still there.How to remove the “uefi 238475mb”?just remove the Samsung ssd?

Hi, I have so many options on the boot manager. I don´t know where they come from and what I can delete and how.
Change config.plist/GUI/Scan/Legacy to false

So BreBo says GUI / scan for legacy drives is cause and fix: "stop scan with false command"
After a number of emails back and forth to "Gigabyte Tech" about this issue in regards to a GA Z170mx Gaming 5 machine I have with the F4 bios and two unique SSD's one a Toshiba with the Mac OS 10.12.4 and the other with Creators edition of Win 10 booting UEFI.

Question:

From prior post
" I hesitate to update to a bios I cannot reverse without using special tools." The 20 series is not a std go back bios.
The Clover boot-loader is free.
Linux is free you can use clover with Linux and Windows and test this problem. But this requires works on your part and your bios coders are Win locked in the stone age and cannot try anything new. Too big a learning curve. This is not a Clover problem as it was cured in the 20 series bios updates. Why cannot the same fix be applied to F5f????? 5/23/2017 10:12 AM
Answer:

We have already checked with our team, the bios after F5e was F20 and there is nothing else in between.
The structure on the 2 bios are different!

So my question is, is this a Clover or a bios problem? Seems like Gigabyte's answer is its a bios problem they corrected with the 20 series but then structure change for Kaby is so different they cannot create the same fix in the original bios structure for the Skylake Processor. The Haswell bios's did not and do not have this problem. Is the fix as easy as turning off a legacy scan in the plist? Or renaming a boot file and using Easy UEFI to solidify the new entry? Why is it so hard to get a definitive fix for this problem?

5/24/2017 9:48 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back