Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Remove extra Clover BIOS boot entries & prevent further problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.Whats wrong with the 20 series? (They are primarily for a processor (7th Generation Intel support, which is Code named Kaby Lake,on a motherboard that really was not designed initially for this processor. Also, the Mac OS kernel for each version is designed around the processor generation that is being using in what is shipped and sold in current Apple machines. El Capitan was released September 30th 2015 2 years ago. The design of this version of the OS was not meant for Kaby Lake of even Skylake initially. The Tonymac crew and others have developed a work around to make a Kaby bios work even if you are not using a Kaby processor with the motherboard being updated to be compatible on the Windows side. Because a windows UEFI bios works differently then the Apple firmware on their real machine you are playing Russian Roulette with possible problems. You have none that are apparent so you made it past the first click of the trigger.
2. Every time you update the bios on a board you should really clear the Cmos properly and reset all settings back to what is need to run the OS of choice, I our case what will make the Mac OS work with stability.
3. Since the bios utility detects all connected drives when doing a bios update it is best to only have the drive with updated bios file in the Mix, when you are breaking Murphy's Law. First rule of Bios updating never flash if every thing is working, unless you need something that will not work with what you have currently installed. Remember all bios flashes done at the Motherboard Manufacturers are done off the board and the chips that are flashed are added to the boards and then tested for functionality.
Okay thanks that clears things a bit up for me. To make things even more weird I just noticed my BIOS is now showing version "F6". I just checked again the file I used to update on the USB stick was called "H170MD3H.F22" and i was on F3 before.

Last edited:
w

Okay thanks that clears things a bit up for me. To make things even more weird I just noticed my BIOS is now showing version "F6". I just checked again the file I used to update on the USB stick was called "H170MD3H.F22" and i was on F3 before.
tHE BIOS CODERS are smoking crack these days, I have seen them mislabel before. Must be the stress of new health care plan or the fake wall, or both.

tHE BIOS CODERS are smoking crack these days, I have seen them mislabel before. Must be the stress of new health care plan or the fake wall, or both.

I sent a message to Gigabyte Support. I just checked again and even the BIOS date is diffrent on the website and BIOS setup page. I guess i was lucky this time though as F6 seems to be the BIOS that fixes multiple BOOT entries and is just below the F20 series to avoid any problems in the future with sierra.

I sent a message to Gigabyte Support. I just checked again and even the BIOS date is different on the website and BIOS setup page. I guess i was lucky this time though as F6 seems to be the BIOS that fixes multiple BOOT entries and is just below the F20 series to avoid any problems in the future with sierra.
Don't expect an answer unless you call for some time if at all.

Don't expect an answer unless you call for some time if at all.
Actually it took them only 3 hours to respond to my mail but they just send me a link to the F22 bios again. I only tried one time with one usb stick and this one definitely had F22 on it.

They say the dates don't match because one is file creation and the other online upload. Makes no sense in my books but whatever... I guess I will just stay because I don't seem to have any dublicate boot entries anymore.

Anyone else notice that after updating to the latest version of Clover and installing Sierra 10.12.4 that your computer is no longer creating extraneous boot entries? Because my machine magically stopped doing this after the update!

Actually it took them only 3 hours to respond to my mail but they just send me a link to the F22 bios again. I only tried one time with one usb stick and this one definitely had F22 on it.

They say the dates don't match because one is file creation and the other online upload. Makes no sense in my books but whatever... I guess I will just stay because I don't seem to have any duplicate boot entries anymore.

I would be nice to know if it was the renaming of the boot folder or the bios update that actually cured it...
But this is unanswerable. Did your duplicate both drives or just one drive, Mac or PC?
MACHINE%20INFO%2004_28_17_zpsh9tke8yk.jpg

Mac is on Toshiba SSD, Window on Intel NVMe M.2; my machine, my additional entries are mac only, no ghost from Windows.

CURRENT%2004_28_17%2010..50AM_zpsjowsk0fq.jpg

OK.. about to take the plunge and flash the bios.. Which one should I try F5e or F20? Again, running

GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 | i7 6700K

thanks all
It is best to go in incremental steps and not flash to many versions above what you have, as it is, asking for trouble.
"2nd rule of bios flashing", 1st is Murphy's law. If 5e works no need for 20's versions...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back