Contribute
Register

[Guide] Razer Blade 15 (2018) Detailed Install Guide High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2208-17G5019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2019 model?

Please share your EFI configuration

Hey @stonevil , I have the 2018 Advanced Razer Blade. I have attached my EFI. Currently having multiple issues with this EFI.
  1. Does not let me update my Mac (Cannot install the Macbook Pro Supplemental Update from 10.14.5) (not sure if I actually can do it tho).
  2. Does not let me boot into the Recovery as well. Gets stuck on
  3. Stuck at
    Code:
    STUCK at Forcing CS_RUNTIME for entitlement : com.apple. rootless. Install
  4. Besides the above mentioned non issues currently, Major issues are:
    1. Speaker sometimes works sometimes stops working (have to restart everytime to see if it works).
    2. Headphones do not work at all.
    3. Any changes made in the Clover Configurator do not stick. I have tried to change the theme multiple times but it still reverts back to nightwish which has broken icons.

Attachments

• EFI-BACKUP.rar
    26.1 MB · Views: 84
Hey @stonevil , I have the 2018 Advanced Razer Blade. I have attached my EFI. Currently having multiple issues with this EFI.
  1. Does not let me update my Mac (Cannot install the Macbook Pro Supplemental Update from 10.14.5) (not sure if I actually can do it tho).

1. You can't install updates without using the flashdrive that you used to install OSX. You need to start the install, once it reboots you then boot off of your flash drive and then choose the MacOS Install option from your SSD.

[*]Does not let me boot into the Recovery as well. Gets stuck on Stuck at
    Code:
    STUCK at Forcing CS_RUNTIME for entitlement : com.apple. rootless. Install
    Recovery has never worked. It never will. This is what your install USB is for.

2. Besides the above mentioned non issues currently, Major issues are:
    1. Speaker sometimes works sometimes stops working (have to restart everytime to see if it works).
    [*]

1. This probably has to do with you injecting "AFGLowPowerState : YES" that is not needed.
      [*]Headphones do not work at all.
      Are you on the latest AppleALC kext? Mojave is a different animal with the headphone issue. Also sometimes changing the LayoutID of the audio injection, rebooting and then changing it back to 29 fixes random audio issues like this.
      [*]Any changes made in the Clover Configurator do not stick. I have tried to change the theme multiple times but it still reverts back to nightwish which has broken icons.
      The only theme that you have installed in Clover is the Nightwish theme, which is why it only boots that.
You're using a lot of unnecessary custom bootflags listed in clover. You really shouldn't need any custom bootflags. You're clearing NVRAM at every boot, which you do not want to do. Get rid of those custom bootflags.

Why are you using the Skylake HWP settings? Those are not needed at all with Coffeelake. Uncheck C2 C4 C6 and uncheck all of the boxes in the Skylake HWP settings box as well as clear the value out of HWP box.

MacBook Pro 15,2 is the better SMBIOS to use with our hardware, it's more correctly matched.

Why are you using USBMap.kext? Why isn't the VirtualSMC.kext in the L-E folder?

You'll need to upload actual Problem Reporting Files to further dive into your issues. But that's where you can start now.

1. You can't install updates without using the flashdrive that you used to install OSX. You need to start the install, once it reboots you then boot off of your flash drive and then choose the MacOS Install option from your SSD.

Recovery has never worked. It never will. This is what your install USB is for.

2. Besides the above mentioned non issues currently, Major issues are:

1. This probably has to do with you injecting "AFGLowPowerState : YES" that is not needed.

Are you on the latest AppleALC kext? Mojave is a different animal with the headphone issue. Also sometimes changing the LayoutID of the audio injection, rebooting and then changing it back to 29 fixes random audio issues like this.

The only theme that you have installed in Clover is the Nightwish theme, which is why it only boots that.
You're using a lot of unnecessary custom bootflags listed in clover. You really shouldn't need any custom bootflags. You're clearing NVRAM at every boot, which you do not want to do. Get rid of those custom bootflags.

Why are you using the Skylake HWP settings? Those are not needed at all with Coffeelake. Uncheck C2 C4 C6 and uncheck all of the boxes in the Skylake HWP settings box as well as clear the value out of HWP box.

MacBook Pro 15,2 is the better SMBIOS to use with our hardware, it's more correctly matched.

Why are you using USBMap.kext? Why isn't the VirtualSMC.kext in the L-E folder?

You'll need to upload actual Problem Reporting Files to further dive into your issues. But that's where you can start now.

@vettz500 Thank you so much for the detailed response! I will play around with all of your suggestions this evening and get back to you!

@stonevil definitely a few other issues in the guide.

Guide mentions:

In Patch window on left panel scroll and find [gfx0] Disable from _INI (DSDT) and click Apply. Do not close window!

Options listed are [gfx0] Disable from _REG (DSDT) which shows as an applicable options
or [gfx0] Disable from _INI (SSDT) which does not show as applicable

your option seems to combine the two which isn't there.

NEXT

• Click Compile button in toolbar. DSDT should complied without any issues.
  • Choose Save As… from File menu.
  • Down below in Save window select ACPI Machine Language Binary from File Format: menu. save as what exactly? because in the next line below it says to copy the newly created SSDT to the location listed. According to the instructions we were working on DSDT not SSDT so was there a rename needed?

• if not where did SSDT get created? perhaps from origin? not specified.
  • Copy newly created file SSDT-12-OptTabl.aml to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/
  • Does DSDT need to move to patched as well because that isn't mentioned either.
Next step is hot patch ACPI to disable Nvidia GPU in macOS for save battery and decrease overall heat.
Nvidia GPU disable
  • Open SSDT-12-OptTabl.dsl with MaciASL application.
  • Find this header

• Find this line of code

• Above this code, paste this line of code

Fixed. Thanks to point this issues.

@vettz500 Thank you so much for the detailed response! I will play around with all of your suggestions this evening and get back to you!

@vettz500 already answered question. Sorry to mislead you. Previously pushed dev version to public master repository. AFGLowPowerState and HPWE just junk left after playing around. Fixed and cleaned. Looks like I fixed issue for sound. Previously sound card worked without any issues on power but always stop working after some period on battery. Disconnected from power. Every 30sec or so. 3 days works on battery without issues.

great guides @vettz500 and @stonevil thanks!
et int
I followed Vettz500's guide and got everything working except for Trackpad. I followed Stonevil's for the trackpad and that worked perfectly.

My only issue is that booting into macOS is that it's inconsistent. it takes an average of 3 reboots tries to boot into Mojave. What I observe is that:

For successful boot - The progress bar under the apple logo runs fast and stops about a quarter full then the screen glitches a bit then prompts me for my password

For unsuccessful boot - The progress bar runs fast up to a little over half the progress bar but starts to progress really slow after. I would just turn it off and try again at this point because I think it won't continue. I left it booting once for 15 minutes and it had the bar full but still no boot so I just did a hard shutdown and reboot.

Any ideas why? I attached my debug files for reference.

Attachments

• 18999.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
great guides @vettz500 and @stonevil thanks!
et int
I followed Vettz500's guide and got everything working except for Trackpad. I followed Stonevil's for the trackpad and that worked perfectly.

My only issue is that booting into macOS is that it's inconsistent. it takes an average of 3 reboots tries to boot into Mojave. What I observe is that:

For successful boot - The progress bar under the apple logo runs fast and stops about a quarter full then the screen glitches a bit then prompts me for my password

For unsuccessful boot - The progress bar runs fast up to a little over half the progress bar but starts to progress really slow after. I would just turn it off and try again at this point because I think it won't continue. I left it booting once for 15 minutes and it had the bar full but still no boot so I just did a hard shutdown and reboot.

Any ideas why? I attached my debug files for reference.

Do recommend to add -v to boot arguments. This will enable debug mode and will help to identify issue.

Do recommend to add -v to boot arguments. This will enable debug mode and will help to identify issue.

Got it, will try when I get home. I'm thinking that the boot issue might be due to graphics because of the glitch I get when I boot up successfully. The display seems a little blurry too. Not sure if you experience a similar issue.

Yeah the guide is good. Shame the mid 2019 is different. It’s held up at no trackpad no audio and eats a battery alive still. Otherwise its working pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back