Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Overclock with Z68/Z77, Power Management, SSDT Edits

Status
Not open for further replies.
jcrowel1 said:
Thanks so much for your guide, Philz! I have successfully set up my SSDT to allow for a 4.5 OC thanks to you.

One question, though: I have my OC set up according to a manual for my Gigabyte MOBO (UD3H-B3) from the manufacturer. It only recommends changing the Turbo Ratios. What's the difference between that and the voltage method?

From what I can tell around the internet, it's just a matter of whether or not the machine will always be running at top speed, or whether it will drop down to lower p-states when not being taxed. Shouldn't that be fine? Shouldn't I only want it to kick up when I'm doing real work/gaming?

Thanks,
Justin

CAN YOU UPLOAD YOUR 4.5 SSDT FILE SO WE CAN USE IT PLEASE :clap:

I just used a combination of Philz's advice and Macman's and edited the multibeast version. Pretty straightforward.

Attachments

• SSDT.aml
    1 KB · Views: 283
I'm curious whether my ssdt edits are working/needed.

Currently running 10.7.4 with the BridgeHelper 5 kexts installed. OC'd to 4.7, C3/C6 disabled but the rest of the CPU features (C1E, EIST, that other thing) enabled.

Prior to adding my SSDT to /extra, MSRDumper would give me 16 17 18 19 20 47.

After adding the SSDT (edited carefully and compiled without error), MSRDumper gives me approximately the same thing--19 and 20 haven't shown up yet, but they probably will. But still a desert between low states and high... it appears (in console) to be taking 4 samples per second... but I don't know if it's accurate.

SMC Monitor lists all pstates... but I don't know if the system is using them.

I've heard that having too many entries in the SSDT will cause the bottom frequencies to be dropped... how many is too many, and can that apply to the middle frequencies? Might it be worth going 16 18 20 22 24 26 (rather have jumps at the bottom to allow smoother voltage transitions...)?

Or am I just being paranoid? :lol: Thanks!

EDIT: I deleted the pstates as above... still only 16 and 47... I checked in HWMonitor (showed the edits) and the system had a very odd freeze: mouse worked, everything else was non-responsive... very strange. For now, I'm watching MSRDumper (FUN! :lolno: ) but I'll probably trash the SSDT... doesn't seem to do much. I tend to think it's working properly without, and these "issues" are just problems with reporting. Which seems to be the rule with hackintoshes, lol

EDIT X2: THE RE-EDITING! Pstate 17 has arrived... looks like the only thing my SSDT does is cause HWMonitor to crash :lol:

jcrowel1 said:
I just used a combination of Philz's advice and Macman's and edited the multibeast version. Pretty straightforward.

Thank you.... Ok so i have Mac pro 3.1 but when i try overclock if i set up the turbo to 45 all of them i am stock at 16 i need to set them like this 1-45 2-45 -3-44 -4-44 and y get those P-states 16 17 18 19 20 and 44 ....How do you have you setup on bios ??? whats enable and whats disable????

ramirorobles said:
jcrowel1 said:

Thank you.... Ok so i have Mac pro 3.1 but when i try overclock if i set up the turbo to 45 all of them i am stock at 16 i need to set them like this 1-45 2-45 -3-44 -4-44 and y get those P-states 16 17 18 19 20 and 44 ....How do you have you setup on bios ??? whats enable and whats disable????

I Haven't been able to to overclock on the z77 either..

GermanyChris said:
ramirorobles said:
jcrowel1 said:

I Haven't been able to to overclock on the z77 either..

Try setting your core like this Core 1=42 Core 2=42 Core 3=41 core 4=41 and install the SSDT from multi beast that is the on;ly way it works on mine ..Good Luck

I'm on vacation till late August so I'm not near my hack at all – wait for ML guys, no use fighting with things when they will change in a month!

Great writeup!

I've been holding back upgrading to 10.7.4 because the first time I tried with the Multibeast SSDT for OC'd i5/i7, my geekbench score dropped from 11000+ to 5000+. Clearly my 4.5 GHz OC was not taking correctly.

I used another Mac for Multibeast, to get the supplied SSDT.aml for OC'd i5/i7 in the /Extra folder. Using that I edited the SSDT, and added 3 more P states with the appropriate hexadecimal edits to accommodate for 4.3 - 4.5 GHz.

Once compiled, I did a fresh install on my Hackintosh. Upgraded to 10.7.4 and ran Multibeast with my usual settings. Once finished, I copied my edited SSDT.aml to /Extras.

Upon reboot, I ran Geekbench and had my normal score of 11000+ for my 4.5 GHz OC'd 2500k.

Thank you for the great writeup.

Edit: If anyone wants it... here's my SSDT.aml with edits to accommodate a 4.5 GHz Overclock.

Attachments

• SSDT.aml
    991 bytes · Views: 200
jcrowel1 said:

Big thanks to Philz and special thanks to jcrowel1 for sharing his edited SSDT

since SSDT got implemented into MultiBeast my overclocked hack that previously scored around 15000 on Geekbench went down to 6000 points.

Using jcrowel1's SSDT I managed to even go further, now my hack runs with multiplier of x45 and I my hack reaches 16150 on Geekbench - I need lots of horsepower for rendering and video-editing.

Different BIOS settings has to be applied for varous hardware for OC and SpeedStep/SSDT to work, so If anyone has the same hardware as I am, here are my BIOS settings:

CPU Clock Ratio .....................................: x45
Real Time Ratio Changes In OS .......................: [Disabled]
Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech ...........................: [Auto]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) .............................: [Enabled]
?C3/C6 State Support .................................: [Enabled]
CPU Thermal Monitor .................................: [Enabled]
CPU EIST Function ...................................: [Enabled]

Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).........................:[Disabled]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) .........................:16.00

Isochronous Support ............................: [Enabled]
Virtualization Technology .....................: [Enabled]

Integrated Peripherals -> PCH SATA Control Mode (AHCI)

Power Management Setup -> HPET Support (ENABLED)
Power Management Setup -> HPET Mode (64-BIT MODE)
Power Management Setup -> ACPI Suspend Type (S3(STR))

Onboard H/W 1394 -> [Disabled] - because not working for me + creates an entry in system.log every few seconds
Onboard Seial Port 1 -> [Disabled]
R_USB30 Turbo -> [Disabled] - USB3 not working

everything else is default

Let me note, that with 10.7.4 again I have an issue with low OpenGL performance after wake from sleep. It turned out it's really an OS X bug as it's affecting MacPro users too. The workaround is to change the screen resolution 1 or 2 times after wake - in System Preferences/Display. It's a must if using FCP X for example...

The low performance with your ATI card after sleep can be fixed by using a smbios with MacPro5,1 and I "think" a couple of others. There is some powermgt features in the radeon 6000 drivers that need to interact with AppleGraphisPowerMgt. At least thats how I solved the same issue on my box (ATI 6870).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back