Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Overclock with Z68/Z77, Power Management, SSDT Edits

Status
Not open for further replies.
sfroom said:
Silly question, and I think I may already know the answer, but thought I'd ask to make sure.

I'm planning on extracting and editing the SSDT on my Z68XP-UD4.

I understand that if you overclock the system - adding higher p-states - you lose the lower p-states.

Is it necessary to have a p-state entry for every sequential 100Mhz? Or could one instead remove a few from the middle to ensure lower idle. Would that result in compilation errors?

I prefer a low idle, but I'd also like it to ramp up!

You need one for every 100mhz from 1600mhz on. You'll have a good range (depends on smbios) but for macmini 5,1 or 5,3 You'll have something like 16, 19, 27, 33, 35, 48. Which is a pretty good range :)

Will someone help me?
I would like to know how to calculate power in a SSDT for each state?

YskAa.png

Joker77 said:
Will someone help me?
I would like to know how to calculate power in a SSDT for each state?

YskAa.png

That ones is moot, no need for OSX and doesn't actually do anything ;)

i can't make it to work i don't know what els to do i have tried all the settings on this and others posts but it is NOT WORKING

the only thing working for me is the <key>DropSSDT</key><string>Yes</string> and removing the
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

But i only get 2 states 16 and 42

ramirorobles said:
the only thing working for me is the <key>DropSSDT</key><string>Yes</string> and removing the
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

But i only get 2 states 16 and 42

If multibeast and stock settings is not working for you, then nothing in this guide will change that ;)

mrengles said:
I don't know how I missed this guide. You did a great job, Nice easy read. Now its my turn to try. :mrgreen:

It's easy to miss since I put it in the right forum ;) it's not like it's a golden thread of featured by Tony or anything.

Let me know if there is anything you think I could add!

So I am looking into a slight overclock, and this tutorial was informative, and maybe I'm just missing a few obvious things. If I just want to push my Sandy Bridge i7-2770k (3.5GHz) up to 4.2 (I think that is the max for this) then I can just run the Multibeast SSDT "Core i5/i7 Overclocked" and then step up the multiplier in BIOS settings, then run the stress test, then repeat until I get to 4.2 or get errors, whichever one comes first? If there is anything I'm missing then by all means tell me why I'm a noob!
My hackintosh is fully functional and I love it right now (really glad I didn't wait for iMac Ivy Bridge as it STILL hasn't come out and my tower is much more upgradeable). I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212plus CPU Cooler, and my CPU runs nice and cool (hasn't crested even 85 degrees Fahrenheit yet, usually in the 70s with fan speeds low and quiet), so temp shouldn't be an issue. I don't need anything crazy, and don't feel like getting into the nitty gritty of it. Just want to go to the max that the simple pre-edited Multibeast SSDT (or my temps) will allow.

Thanks!

Thanks so much for your guide, Philz! I have successfully set up my SSDT to allow for a 4.5 OC thanks to you.

One question, though: I have my OC set up according to a manual for my Gigabyte MOBO (UD3H-B3) from the manufacturer. It only recommends changing the Turbo Ratios. What's the difference between that and the voltage method?

From what I can tell around the internet, it's just a matter of whether or not the machine will always be running at top speed, or whether it will drop down to lower p-states when not being taxed. Shouldn't that be fine? Shouldn't I only want it to kick up when I'm doing real work/gaming?

Thanks,
Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back