Contribute
Register

Guide: MultiBooting UEFI

Hi,
thanks for your guide !
It helped me building a dual boot windows 10 / macOS 10.13.3

The third post (about EFI) was a bit tricky to figure but I managed to understand with all the comments of people getting stuck a the same point. It's working.

The only problem that I have is that I have 6 boots options (2windows & 4macOS) with clover instead of only 2 (windows & Mac).

Do you have an idea how to remove the unnecessary boot options ?

Also, I wanted to know if it was possible to make macOS start directly by default (meaning that it start directly without posing 5sec on the clover screen) and display the clover boots options only if I press a certain key on my keyboard while booting up the pc ?

Hi,
thanks for your guide !
It helped me building a dual boot windows 10 / macOS 10.13.3

The third post (about EFI) was a bit tricky to figure but I managed to understand with all the comments of people getting stuck a the same point. It's working.

The only problem that I have is that I have 6 boots options (2windows & 4macOS) with clover instead of only 2 (windows & Mac).

Do you have an idea how to remove the unnecessary boot options ?

Also, I wanted to know if it was possible to make macOS start directly by default (meaning that it start directly without posing 5sec on the clover screen) and display the clover boots options only if I press a certain key on my keyboard while booting up the pc ?
See Clover configuration - there are settings to hide partitions and there is a setting to boot directly to the OS without stopping at the Clover screen. Forum search engine is your friend - these questions have been asked and answered many times.

See Clover configuration - there are settings to hide partitions and there is a setting to boot directly to the OS without stopping at the Clover screen. Forum search engine is your friend - these questions have been asked and answered many times.

Oh yes sorry, I forgot to edit my post. I did find the solution !
Thanks !

Thanks man for this amazing Guide, I broke my system after an update and now I'm forced to re-install so might as well go a bit further, like 2 more OS's further :D.
Now, to make everything work right, shutdown Ubuntu, insert the OS X USB installer again and boot to OS X desktop. Mount the EFI partition and rename the Windows boot manager file:
Sorry but rename it to what? Is it to that which is showing in the photo? If so what is the original name of the file?

Thanks !!!! :clap:

Thanks man for this amazing Guide, I broke my system after an update and now I'm forced to re-install so might as well go a bit further, like 2 more OS's further :D.

Sorry but rename it to what? Is it to that which is showing in the photo? If so what is the original name of the file?

Thanks !!!! :clap:
To what's on the picture ;-)

Hi guys, hope anyone can help me. After I installed all 3 OS's I'm attempting to boot MacOS from USB clover to do the last step (Post3) and it just won't boot anymore.

I'm using a single laptop drive for all 3, SSHD but kept MacOS in HFS. It booted fine before I went ahead to install win10 and ubuntu 17.10.

Here's a pic of where it gets stuck timingout after which it jumps to the apple and the progress bar remains empty forever.

Attachments

• Photo.jpg
    Photo.jpg
    922.1 KB · Views: 110
Just a quick guide on my experience with how I got Triboot (MacOS, Win7, Ubuntu 17.10) working:

1] Install MacOS according to your system guide on clean disk (240GB SSD in my case).
2] Once finished and MacOS boots OK, plug SSD externally to a Windows system and partition drive with MiniTool Partition Wizard. I shrunk the Macintosh HD partition to 90GB, then NTFS partitioned the rest of the space into Win (90GB), Linux (30GB), Shared (30GB). Shared will be visible on all systems for file sharing between them, you may not need this. It doesn't matter what you call the partitions, but this made sense for me. Do not rename Macintosh HD, only resize it. Do not touch the EFI partition (200MB or so). In Ubuntu install, you can't see partition names, rather sda1/sda2/sda3/sda4. It may not be clear which is which, so make the Linux partition, say 31GB, or some weird number, so you know which sda you'll be installing to. Ubuntu will require you to delete and repartition that space to ext4.
3] In BIOS you MUST have set Boot properties to Boot UEFI only (not Both UEFI/Legacy, nor Legacy Only), otherwise Windows will not want to install to GPT partition, atleast not Win7, not sure about the newer ones.
4] Get a GPT/UEFI version of Windows (7 in my case), make boot USB with Rufus (choose GPT/EFI), install to Win (90GB) partition.
5] Look into BIOS at the boot order. You should see USB, your SSD type, Windows, MacOS. You MUST put MacOS before Windows, but USB can be before both of them. If Windows is before MacOS, you will bot directly into Windows instead of Clover.
5] Get Ubuntu 17.10, create USB with Lili Live USB, install to Linux (30GB) partition. Ubuntu 17.10 will mess up Clover BOOTX64.efi (you will need to plug the SSD externally to a Mac, open Clover Configurator, mount the SSD EFI and replace EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi with the one you originally downloaded. You will see that BOOTX64.efi is messed up because it will have a changed timestamp of the time you installed Ubuntu.
Note: Ubuntu 16.04 does not mess up BOOTX64.efi, don't ask me why. I initially installed 16.04 and updated to 17.10 and that's when the EFI got messed up and GRUB took over Clover. I could only boot to Ubuntu or Win.
6] After installing Ubuntu and fixing BOOTX64.efi, go into BIOS again and fix the boot order again. Ubuntu (GRUB bootloader to be exact) will place itself in first place. My current working boot sequence for Clover is:
USB
MacOs
Windows
Ubuntu
SSD SAMSUNG (the SSD all OSs are on)
DVD
etc.

Now when I boot, it goes into Clover and I can can choose Windows 7, Ubuntu, MacOS, MacOS Recovery. Woooo!
This is what the SSD looks like externally on a Mac. The Ubuntu partition isn't visible, because it's ext4 partitioned. You can see the BOOTX64.efi file and the _BOOTX64.bak backup I made (not neccessary). Also, the Ubuntu and Windows installers will add ubuntu and Microsoft folders to the EFI, you should have those there.

aaa.jpg

Native triple boot has been a long time dream of mine, I'm so glad I got it working!

Last edited:
I am going to follow this tutorial but without unbunto. The thing that i am confused about is how and where to install multibeast, unibeast, or clover on a flash drive? I currently have windows 10 on my 256gb nvme drive and will use half for os x and other half for windows 10. So i must format the whole drive clean. I have 2 usb drives (1x 32gb and other 128gb). Sorry for being a noob here. I read other forums posts on installation but i failed to read the part where the bootloader comes in.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/im-new-to-everything-where-do-i-start.104542/

You will need access to a Mac or PC that is running Mac OS to create the UniBeast USB installer.

Hello @Going Bald

I come back to your topic (which was super useful for me many times),
then now I installed Mac OS X.13.5 with the kgp method
(different than the SIERRA installation)

my question is to know that now if I can make a partition on my NVMe with MAC OS X.13.5 on it and then installing windows without problem?
or if it is better to install Windows 10 on old HDD, and then make a copy via CCC to the partition of the NVMe and then modify the EFI as your first post?

i am really afraid that Windows doesn't like the fact that the EFI is in the new format :(

Whats up guys,

so right now i have Win10 installed on my drive, is it possible to:

a) partition my current drive in half and install macOS there, and if so how?

b) save a disk image of my current Win10 on an external hdd, follow the steps in this guide and then recover the disk image on the partition?

cheers

Back