Contribute
Register

Guide: MultiBooting UEFI

Hello, just a quick question as a newbie - I have an Acer Aspire V15 V5-591g and have 1Tb disk with Win10 installed on it. I'm planning to plug a M.2 SSD and install High Sierra while Win10 disk is unplugged. Will I have a dual boot after finishing MacOS installation and just plugging the Win10 disk? Or I will have to do some more steps? Thank you in advance!

Hello, just a quick question as a newbie - I have an Acer Aspire V15 V5-591g and have 1Tb disk with Win10 installed on it. I'm planning to plug a M.2 SSD and install High Sierra while Win10 disk is unplugged. Will I have a dual boot after finishing MacOS installation and just plugging the Win10 disk? Or I will have to do some more steps? Thank you in advance!
See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi-on-separate-drives.198869/

A better answer for you might be available if you post in the laptop forum - they can better help you with laptop specific questions.

Not sure if I need to make a dedicated separate thread/post for this or not, but I'll post anyway and if it needs to be moved, feel free to move it. It seems like the appropriate area to post.

Okay, so I finally got a motherboard capable of UEFI booting. Specifically in question, the motherboard is an Asus Z87-WS. And yes, UEFI booting OS X/macOS actually works (yay/yes/YESSSS) as opposed to my Asus P9D WS. However, single drive UEFI multi-booting is quite strange and doesn't function very well with this motherboard and was wondering if someone has the solution.

So, single drive only one OS installed, macOS, works fine for UEFI booting and everything. Everything seems to run quite well. However, when I try to do a test install of single drive UEFI multi-booting, running MultiBeast and installing the UEFI bootloader doesn't seem to work, as the UEFI boot option to the drive does not appear and I am not able to boot to the Hackintosh drive in order to reach the Hackintosh bootloader which shows the options for all the OSes installed and which to boot to.

On another note if it helps, I noticed that after installing the Mac OS, running MultiBeast, then installing Windows seems to be affective rather than installing MultiBeast as a last step because when MultiBeast is installed as not the last step, but rather directly after the Mac OS installation, the UEFI boot option remains. Although it remains, Windows acts quite strange when selected to boot into using the Hackintosh bootloader as compared to the Windows boot manager option. So from this, I haven't really found an acceptable solution.

This guide works excellent for integrated graphics. But systems that have GPU cards, I can't say as as much. It's a struggle.

This guide works excellent for integrated graphics. But systems that have GPU cards, I can't say as as much. It's a struggle.
With iGPU, first you get it running with the integrated GPU, then you load drivers, etc. for a dGPU before you install the GPU. Other changes in the config.plist may also be required before installing the GPU if you expect it to boot to desktop without effort.

With iGPU, first you get it running with the integrated GPU, then you load drivers, etc. for a dGPU before you install the GPU. Other changes in the config.plist may also be required before installing the GPU if you expect it to boot to desktop without effort.
Do you know someone who might be able to help me with my boot issue? I have threads here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/uefi-guid-vs-legacy-mbr-unibeast-usb-graphics.242806/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/windows-boot-issue-strange-off-center-loading.242642/

Howdy.

I had someone help me set up a multi-boot system using the instructions in this thread. (Thanks very much by the way.) I got help because boot loaders are not something I've worked with a lot and I'm new to Clover.

When we first got everything set up all the Operating Systems booted just fine. Mac OS Sierra still had issues with recognizing video hardware and the correct screen size, but Windows 10 and Ubuntu 17 were fine.

However after bout a week Windows 10 quit booting all together. Here are the Windows partitions I have in Clover (ver 2.4 rev 4173) and their behavior:
  1. Boot Microsoft EFI from EFI - just goes to a black screen
  2. Boot Windows from Recovery - hangs and then says No boot filename received, exiting PXE ROM, Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device.
  3. Boot Windows from EFI - does the same thing as #2.
  4. Boot Windows from Win10 - does the same thing as #2.

In short, somehow I hosed something in Clover related to booting Windows. I've done a little digging but have decided that I don't really want to take the chance on this happening again even if I can solve this issue.

The questions
I've seen on here that Going Bald mentioned a front loading hot swap tray. I was thinking about that approach.
  1. Couldn't I just get smaller SSDs for each OS and then just plugin in the OS drive I want to boot before turning the machine on?
  2. It's manual approach I know, but wouldn't that mean Windows and Linux could just run their native bootloaders?
  3. I realize I probably need Clover to boot the Mac OS but I wouldn't have to use it for booting the other OSes, right?
  4. The OS drive would essentially be in the same place in the hardware setup so the motherboard wouldn't freak out would it? I wouldn't need to edit the bios when switching drives, right?
Thanks for any links or documentation you can direct me to.

The questions
I've seen on here that Going Bald mentioned a front loading hot swap tray. I was thinking about that approach.
  1. Couldn't I just get smaller SSDs for each OS and then just plugin in the OS drive I want to boot before turning the machine on?
  2. It's manual approach I know, but wouldn't that mean Windows and Linux could just run their native bootloaders?
  3. I realize I probably need Clover to boot the Mac OS but I wouldn't have to use it for booting the other OSes, right?
  4. The OS drive would essentially be in the same place in the hardware setup so the motherboard wouldn't freak out would it? I wouldn't need to edit the bios when switching drives, right?
Thanks for any links or documentation you can direct me to.
I write the guides and test before publishing on the forum for those who want their build complete and don't want to always be swapping drives in and out. I, personally, have had problems with one OS causing corruption on another OS's drive or storage over the years, so I have gone totally to drive storage cases and hot swap trays mounted in the optical drive bay of the case. If you are using a SSD and you have access to the rear of the computer case, then you can also use a hot swap tray that is mounted in a spare PCIe space in place of the cover plate. I have used both as 2 of my builds have no optical drive bays on the front of the case.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817998052

or

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8HV32N2364

Back