Contribute
Register

Guide: MultiBooting UEFI

Hello @Going Bald

I come back to your topic (which was super useful for me many times),
then now I installed Mac OS X.13.5 with the kgp method
(different than the SIERRA installation)

my question is to know that now if I can make a partition on my NVMe with MAC OS X.13.5 on it and then installing windows without problem?
or if it is better to install Windows 10 on old HDD, and then make a copy via CCC to the partition of the NVMe and then modify the EFI as your first post?

i am really afraid that Windows doesn't like the fact that the EFI is in the new format :(
What do you mean by EFI is in the new format? AFAIK, the format for the EFI partition is still FAT32 / MSDOS FAT. If you mean the new Apple file system format APFS, this is the MACOS partition only and the situation is no different than it was vis-a-vis Windows OS. Create the partition and use the Win10 installer to format it NTFS and install. Win10 has no problems installing on a GUID formatted drive if you created your install media correctly and boots just fine on UEFI based hardware.

Reactions: GDS
Oh yes sorry, I forgot to edit my post. I did find the solution !
Thanks !

So far have you come across any pro/cons this method?

I've read somewhere that when windows updates is messes with the EFI folder?

So far have you come across any pro/cons this method?

I've read somewhere that when windows updates is messes with the EFI folder?
Updating Windows installed on the same drive as the Mac OS can cause problems with the boot setup for Clover - you may have to enter UEFI/BIOS and reset your default boot drive. Best to just use a separate drive for each OS you are running.

Updating Windows installed on the same drive as the Mac OS can cause problems with the boot setup for Clover - you may have to enter UEFI/BIOS and reset your default boot drive. Best to just use a separate drive for each OS you are running.

If it was only rather than "may have to enter UEFI/BIOS and reset your default boot drive" I would have gone through with it since windows updates are few and far between with my (short) experience. However the "cause problems with the boot set up of Clover" and the "best" suggested recommendation has scared me enough to just shell out on another m.2 ssd.

Thanks for the help @Going Bald !

Now, to make everything work right, shutdown Ubuntu, insert the OS X USB installer again and boot to OS X desktop. Mount the EFI partition and rename the Windows boot manager file:
View attachment 202441

Run MultiBeast to install Clover, networking and audio and reboot to UEFI and set the OS X partition as first in boot order:
View attachment 202443

Save&Exit and continue boot to Clover - select an OS to boot:
View attachment 202447 View attachment 202448 View attachment 202449

And that, my children is just how simple it is.
What did you use to mount the EFI? I get all the way up to that point and then am unable to rename the windows config file.

What did you use to mount the EFI? I get all the way up to that point and then am unable to rename the windows config file.
EFIMounter V3 available from the forum Downloads/Community Software

Thank you for posting this guide. I attempted this build because I want to be able to develop apps in all three operating systems and recently built a computer for the first time. I bought the ASRock fatality z370 itx/ac board and added the intel i5 8600k along with an Adata xpg sx8200 m.2 ssd for storage.

Tl;dr -> install clover on hard drive from the get go, use gparted to make ntfs partition, use the clover bootloader to load the usb installers, and install linux boot device on the same partition as itself.

This guide didn't exactly work for me but it was a good starting point. It was really not that complicated. Running multibeast to setup the EFI partition after installing linux doesn't make much sense to me. You want clover to be able to boot into linux, so you don't want to install linux boot device anywhere near your EFI. But then again, total noob here.

The steps I followed were:
1. Make sure the partition table is GPT (for windows 10). Install the macOS on my machine using unibeast with the recommended UEFI settings as detailed in the High Sierra guide. After running multibeast, open up the disk utility app to make space for windows.

2. Boot into live Kubuntu usb and run sudo apt-get update \ sudo apt-get install gparted hfsprogs. hsfprogs will be able to recognize Apple file system partitions, but it wasn't 100% necessary. Running gparted was crucial because Windows10 will only install to ntfs filesystem. So I made the Windows (ntfs) and Kubuntu (ext4) partitions in this step.

3. Made the Windows USB installer but copied the bootmgfw.efi file to /EFI/Windows folder. Edited the Kubuntu usb installer with the same idea. Copied bootx64.efi and grubx64.efi to /EFI/ubuntu. Got this idea because I noticed in a previous unsuccessful attempt that Clover lays out the EFI directory in this manner (sort of). I'm not sure if it actually had any effect.

4. Inserted the Windows installer and booted the clover partition instead of booting from USB. Clover recognizes the usb drive which makes it a brilliant tool. Install Windows on the ntfs partition.

5. Install Kubuntu on the ext4 partition. This part is important. Make sure you select a manual install and for all that is holy make sure you select to install the boot device on the parition where you are installing linux. Otherwise grub2 will attempt to install itself on the EFI partition.

And that was it. I had to get a usb wifi dongle to make it work but other than that my motherboard works with the standard kexts.

Hi, I want to share my experience to get triple boot working with Ubuntu if you have followed the initial post guide for only dual booting Windows and macOS but you want to triple boot some time later.

I assume that the situation before to start is the following:
  • Latest Clover version installed (mine is r4630) with working dual boot (Win + macOS)
  • VBoxExt4-64 installed in /drivers64UEFI (install it from the Clover setup/update package)
  • Checked the box "Linux" under "Scan" group in "GUI" tab of Clover Configurator
  • Ubuntu 18.04 written on an USB Drive with UNetbootin
  • Clover package setup already downloaded and placed in any folder
  • Your customized working Clover USB to run macOS when GRUB will mess up Clover
Steps
  1. Go to Disk Utility and resize the macOS Partition (50GB are enough), format it to FAT.
  2. Reboot your computer and run Ubuntu Installation USB from boot menu, choose "Try Linux without Installing".
  3. Launch "Install Linux" from the icon on the desktop.
  4. In the tab "Installation Type" click on "Something else..."
  5. Choose the partition you have formatted with macOS, check "Format", than click on "Change" and select as filesystem "ext4" and as mount point "/", confirm.
  6. Select as "Device for Bootloader" the same partition you chosen to install Ubuntu then confirm and complete the setup.
  7. GRUB should have messed up Clover, not worry, insert your Clover USB and run macOS.
  8. Mount your EFI partition with Clover Configurator, and install again Clover just like you were updating it from the package you downloaded before or just from Clover Configurator.
  9. Check that your EFI Folder, it should be almost the same I have.
  10. Reboot and enter BIOS, check the boot order #1 macOS #2 Windows #3 Ubuntu
  11. Save and shutdown.
  12. Triple boot is served.
r5bZwPkg.png

Last edited:
Back