Contribute
Register

Guide: MultiBooting UEFI

Hi everyone,
I performed a multiboot UEFI Sierra 10.12.6 and Windows 10 (latest build) following Going Bald procedure and I would like to share my experience for future community troubleshooting reference.
  • HP Z620 Workstation
  • BIOS 3.91 Rev.A
  • 1x Xeon E5-1660 3.3Ghz v.1
  • 24GB RAM
  • 525GB Crucial SSD

I was able to install both systems UEFI following the guide until post #3, then I installed Clover on Sierra partition but no way to make it boot without the USB Clover! And I renamed the Windows Boot Manager file, of course, but:
  • no way to make it boot from Windows, since the bootloader was knocked down
  • no way to make it boot from Sierra since the OSX partition never showed up in BIOS (which is the latest version)
I was indeed able to boot in Windows 10 and in Sierra using the USB bootloader (both systems worked fine, BTW).

After a full afternoon of reading (all way down to the fine prints...and further up to a crazy "desoldering the BIOS chip solution"!!!) I've made A LOT of unsuccesfull test, including:
  • moving CLOVERX64.efi in Windows EFI folder (various YT videos)
  • deleting (not only renaming) windows bootloader
  • live UBUNTU efibootmgr manipulation, to set Clover as priority as in post #137 from RehabMan
No luck!
Clearly the HP BIOS isn't the most "open" workspace, allowing for very little customization in the BootOrder section.
Unfortunately, some EFIs are buggy, and "forget" the BootOrder entry or otherwise misbehave.
Fortunately some furter readings on the askubuntu forum (thanks Rod Smith!) put me in the correct path.

SOLUTION (for my setting, at least): change the bootloader in Windows environment!
  1. boot in Windows 10 via Clover USB
  2. open a Windows Administrator Command Prompt
  3. execute the following command: bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi
Everything is fine now, time to start the fight for DSDT patching and fix everything.
But this is another story continuing on the original insanelymac thread...

Thanks to Going Bald for sharing!

Dr.T

Last edited:
Has anyone done this with Arch Linux, or at least installed w/o a GUI? Im having trouble loading the last OS on, Arch. Windows is on its own drive, but the plan is to split my second boot drive with OSX/Arch. Should I be setting it up like this:

Drive One
Windows (no issues - boots with Clover)
Drive Two
P1 OSX EFI boot
P2 High Sierra
P3 OSX Recovery
P4 Arch EFI
P5 Arch Swap
P6 Arch Root

Ive have already tried:
Drive One
Drive Two
P1 OSX EFI boot
P2 High Sierra
P3 OSX Recovery
P4 Arch EFI
P5 Arch Swap
P6 Arch Root
As you can imagine systemd broke my OSX boot/prevented me from installing clover.

I finally got it working a few weeks ago. I figure I should mention success. I still believe you should edit the step about the Windows boot manager file, to say something like "Rename the Windows boot file from X to Y" for less confusion.

Last edited:
Every time I boot my computer, I can actually feel happy because the boot screen is so much clearer as apposed to before. Beautiful. Thank you.
Image.png

Has anyone done this with Arch Linux, or at least installed w/o a GUI? Im having trouble loading the last OS on, Arch. Windows is on its own drive, but the plan is to split my second boot drive with OSX/Arch. Should I be setting it up like this:

Drive One
Drive Two
P1 OSX EFI boot
P2 High Sierra
P3 OSX Recovery
P4 Arch EFI
P5 Arch Swap
P6 Arch Root

Ive have already tried:
Drive One
Drive Two
P1 OSX EFI boot
P2 High Sierra
P3 OSX Recovery
P4 Arch EFI
P5 Arch Swap
P6 Arch Root
As you can imagine systemd broke my OSX boot/prevented me from installing clover.
You do not need and Arch EFI - use the Mac OS EFI instead.

I finally got it working a few weeks ago. I figure I should mention success. I still believe you should edit the step about the Windows boot manager file, to say something like "Rename the Windows boot file from X to Y" for less confusion.
For some, the rename is not required.

I instaled win10 and osx on a same drive and its working fine. Now I would like to increase space for osx and decrese win10 hdd space. Do I need to reinstall everything again or can I do something else?

I installed multibeast and clover already. How hard would it be to go back and revert the changes to dual boot to WinOS/OSX? Or should I just re-do the OSX install?

I instaled win10 and osx on a same drive and its working fine. Now I would like to increase space for osx and decrese win10 hdd space. Do I need to reinstall everything again or can I do something else?
Re-sizing partitions to make them smaller is easy. Deleting a partition after the partition you want to enlarge to take up the space of the deleted partition is easy. Moving the start of a partition backwards toward the beginning of the drive cannot be done without some terminal work and there is no guarantee it will still boot the OS on the partition.
Your best bet is to get another drive, install the second OS on it, delete the second OS partition on the original drive and extend the first partition to include the resulting free space.

Back