Contribute
Register

Guide: MultiBooting UEFI

Hey guys, I have a fully working dualbooted setup now with windows10 and macOS on separate ssds (only 250gb each). I was looking to expand my storage to house my steam library and other media. I bought a 2gb sshd and realized i might be able to share it between operating systems, but wasn't really sure how.

I saw a couple posts about having it accessible to both operating systems simultaneously, and while i may allocate some of the storage in such a way, i wish to have individual partitions only accessible to their respective operating systems.

Should I start off in Windows or MacOS? And is it as straightforward as partitioning the drive, accessing it on the required OS and creating the new volume?

Hey guys, I have a fully working dualbooted setup now with windows10 and macOS on separate ssds (only 250gb each). I was looking to expand my storage to house my steam library and other media. I bought a 2gb sshd and realized i might be able to share it between operating systems, but wasn't really sure how.

I saw a couple posts about having it accessible to both operating systems simultaneously, and while i may allocate some of the storage in such a way, i wish to have individual partitions only accessible to their respective operating systems.

Should I start off in Windows or MacOS? And is it as straightforward as partitioning the drive, accessing it on the required OS and creating the new volume?
You can start with either Mac OS disk utility or Windows disk management tool or your favorite 3rd party disk management app.
Partition and format the partitions on the drive as you want with one OS tool, then use the other OS management tool to reformat the partition for its storage. (i.e. format 2 partitions GUID / Mac HFS+ with disk utility, then boot Windows and re-format one of the partitions NTFS for Windows storage)

Hey @Going Bald & others, I wanna know if it is wiser to use the following bcfg methods to add clover as a boot option:

5.2 Add Clover as a boot option
On Aptio, it's not enough to rename Cloverx64.efi on HDD to BootX64.efi to enable it to start (see here). But it seems that's what you need to do on Gigabyte Hybrid EFI. Standard procedure for adding an OS boot option in UEFI is to add boot option variable to NVRAM - that's what is needed on Aptio.

Boot options can be managed with bcfg command in a shell. But, this command is available only in UEFI shell (shell2) and since shell2 requires UEFI 2.3 or newer, users with older UEFI have a problem. If you are the "lucky" one with older UEFI where shell2 does not work, try with my modified shell2 from here. This is not fully working port, but bcfg works and I'm using it only for boot options manipulation with bcfg.

Users of UEFI 2.3 or newer can put shell2 to FAT32 USB stick as /efi/boot/bootx64.efi and just use this one. Since I need old shell for normal use and moded shell2 for bcfg, I have old shell set as /efi/boot/bootx64.efi and moded shell2 as /shellx64.efi (in the root of USB) - in this way I can press F8 during POST and choose "UEFI: stick name" to load older shell or press Del to enter UEFI Setup screens and then select Exit/Start shell to load moded shell2. Actually, I have both shells copied to HDD EFI partition and added as separate boot options, but that can be done later.

Boot into shell2 (real one or moded) and find Cloverx64.efi on HDD EFI partition with some combination of the following commands:
Code:
> map fs*
> fs0: (or fs1: or fs2: ...)
> ls
> cd \efi\boot
> ls

And then:
Code:
> help bcfg -b -v
and try to understand help from the screen
Code:
> bcfg boot dump
to list current boot options
Code:
> bcfg boot add N cloverx64.efi "OSX through Clover"
to add cloverx64.efi from the current dir as a boot option labeled "OSX through Clover". N should be boot option number: 0 if you wan it to be the first, 1 to be the second ...
Code:
> bcfg boot dump
to check if it is added
Code:
> reset
to reset the system and to try to load Clover from HDD

I found the doc in EFI\CLOVER\doc\UEFI boot with Clover.rft .
If this works then I think we don't need rename EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi even every time after windows updates...right?

And it works flawlessly. Also EasyUEFI worth a shot.

This guide works great and now I can dual boot Windows 10 and Mac OS X High Sierra, but is there a way to boot the Windows partition by default with a countdown of 5 secs? All my boot logs end up with "EFI\microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efii` is self path!" which kind of makes sense now that Clover has replaced the Windows Boot Manager, but I'm trying to point it to bootmgfw-orig.efi (the original windows one) to no avail.

Hello,
First, thank you for this guide, its the only dual/triple boot guide that had worked for me on my first build.

Second, helping a friend put together a build right now and running into issues.
My friend got Mac up and running 100%. However, Clover was installed and he went right into trying to install Windows 10 after, instead of doing it before running Multibeast and installing Clover. Trying to install Windows 10 this way, did not work and it gave an error that Windows could not create a bootable partition (guessing because Clover was blocking it so to speak)

He partitioned 50gb to use for Windows 10 on his 250gb SSD. Via Windows 10 installation setup, I had him delete this partition. When going back into his Mac partition, which again is fully working, it is only 200gb now. I looked up many things about resizing the drive, however he/we can not get it back to 250. I wanted to have him get it back to 250 and then do the install over again, the proper way. (Mac install > no clover or multibeast > windows install > clover + multibeast > complete).

So I guess my question is, any help with recovering that 50gb and getting back to doing this the right way? Help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

His build:

Gigabyte H270M-D3H
Geforce GTX 1050 2GB
Ballistix 16gb ram
Samsung 850 evo 250gb SSD
Barracuda 1TB hard drive
Intel i5 7500
If you are going to re-install, do not bother trying to re-size partition - boot the Mac OS install USB, select disk utility, select drive (not partition), select erase. Continue install.

Hello, I am newbie in installing operating systems, so, am I able to install Ubuntu without erasing hdd with windows and mac os installed? If yes, is it possible to divide partition with mac os on 2 parts and install Ubuntu on 1 of them? Thanks in advance!

Hello, I am newbie in installing operating systems, so, am I able to install Ubuntu without erasing hdd with windows and mac os installed? If yes, is it possible to divide partition with mac os on 2 parts and install Ubuntu on 1 of them? Thanks in advance!
Yes, if you install UEFI mode - see post #1

Back