Contribute
Register

Guide: MultiBooting UEFI

It's totally weird, my mobo is with UEFI I did everything under UEFI and in the end all I did is delete clover and re-install it from multibeast wiht legacy options... I mean what the problem could it be.
And did this work? Sometimes OEMs like HP modify the BIOS to make sure you cannot change it and make the system they installed unable to boot. This may be what you are running into. Remember EFI booting was just beginning when Ivy Bridge boards first came out. The OEM may have deliberately disabled UEFI booting.

Sorry, but you can help me check error when install Windows 10 in partition?

Attachments

• DSC_0419.JPG
    DSC_0419.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 158
  • DSC_0421.JPG
    DSC_0421.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 159
Sorry, but you can help me check error when install Windows 10 in partition?
Don't create the target windows partition using macOS disk utility and MS-DOS (FAT), use HFS+.

Thanks vulgo - The firmware on these particular HP machines is an early UEFI system that lacks an easy way to select anything other than the drive to boot from and the Clover option is probably a more useful default.

Hey @Going Bald & others, I wanna know if it is wiser to use the following bcfg methods to add clover as a boot option:

5.2 Add Clover as a boot option
On Aptio, it's not enough to rename Cloverx64.efi on HDD to BootX64.efi to enable it to start (see here). But it seems that's what you need to do on Gigabyte Hybrid EFI. Standard procedure for adding an OS boot option in UEFI is to add boot option variable to NVRAM - that's what is needed on Aptio.

Boot options can be managed with bcfg command in a shell. But, this command is available only in UEFI shell (shell2) and since shell2 requires UEFI 2.3 or newer, users with older UEFI have a problem. If you are the "lucky" one with older UEFI where shell2 does not work, try with my modified shell2 from here. This is not fully working port, but bcfg works and I'm using it only for boot options manipulation with bcfg.

Users of UEFI 2.3 or newer can put shell2 to FAT32 USB stick as /efi/boot/bootx64.efi and just use this one. Since I need old shell for normal use and moded shell2 for bcfg, I have old shell set as /efi/boot/bootx64.efi and moded shell2 as /shellx64.efi (in the root of USB) - in this way I can press F8 during POST and choose "UEFI: stick name" to load older shell or press Del to enter UEFI Setup screens and then select Exit/Start shell to load moded shell2. Actually, I have both shells copied to HDD EFI partition and added as separate boot options, but that can be done later.

Boot into shell2 (real one or moded) and find Cloverx64.efi on HDD EFI partition with some combination of the following commands:
Code:
> map fs*
> fs0: (or fs1: or fs2: ...)
> ls
> cd \efi\boot
> ls

And then:
Code:
> help bcfg -b -v
and try to understand help from the screen
Code:
> bcfg boot dump
to list current boot options
Code:
> bcfg boot add N cloverx64.efi "OSX through Clover"
to add cloverx64.efi from the current dir as a boot option labeled "OSX through Clover". N should be boot option number: 0 if you wan it to be the first, 1 to be the second ...
Code:
> bcfg boot dump
to check if it is added
Code:
> reset
to reset the system and to try to load Clover from HDD

I found the doc in EFI\CLOVER\doc\UEFI boot with Clover.rft .
If this works then I think we don't need rename EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi even every time after windows updates...right?

If this works then I think we don't need rename EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi even every time after windows updates...right?
Correct. Modifying the files in the microsoft folder to get some other file to boot is not optimal. You can also use free version of EasyUEFI from Windows instead of the EFI shell to configure the boot menu.

I mean what the problem could it be.
BIOS booting on UEFI (via CSM) uses the same boot menu but BIOS BBS entries point to legacy bootcode on a MBR/PBR - instead of a media/file path to an EFI executable. BIOS booting is part of UEFI.

Last edited:
You can also use free version of EasyUEFI from Windows instead of the EFI shell to configure the boot menu.
Not sure if thats true of the free version anymore - Tried this week and got a message to upgrade.

Back