Contribute
Register

Guide: MultiBooting UEFI

Every drive on my Asus has a GPT format...
Laptops have different problems than desktops for installing an OS and for dual booting - suggest you post your problem in the laptop forum.

It is because there is a hierarchy of USB ports and one of your other USB drives was in a port with a higher priority than the Windows USB drive - and the installer always looks at the highest priority USB port instead of the one the drive is actually in. This is no problem if the higher priority ports are empty - the installer just looks at the next one - but if there is a drive there, then naturally it does not have the Windows boot files on it and the Windows installer cannot reboot the computer after unpacking files because if a drive without the boot file is present in the port it does not look at the next port if it does not find the boot file - it just throws up the error message.

After days of fiddling and reading I found out that:
1) I had to disable the SATA HDD and DVD drive from BIOS;
2) I had to disconnect every USB device - even the mouse dongle, and find the USB port with the highest priority.

With this configuration I finally managed to install Windows alongside OS X on the primary PCI-E SSD. No more "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot etc."

The partition list is the following:
Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 22.09.21.png

This maybe helpful for other Laptop owners.

Last edited:
Hello.
I was wondering where Multibeast comes in play if i follow this guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-sierra-on-the-ga-z170x-ud3.202296/

I don't mind wiping Windows.
Right now i only have Windows and Debian installed but i want to dual boot Windows and Mac OS.
What should i install first?

It's my first time trying to make a hackintosh and i'm kinda lost :crazy:

Hello.
I was wondering where Multibeast comes in play if i follow this guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-sierra-on-the-ga-z170x-ud3.202296/

I don't mind wiping Windows.
Right now i only have Windows and Debian installed but i want to dual boot Windows and Mac OS.
What should i install first?

It's my first time trying to make a hackintosh and i'm kinda lost :crazy:
multibeast comes into play after you have successfully installed MacOS

normally it shouldn't really matter what you install first

multibeast comes into play after you have successfully installed MacOS

normally it shouldn't really matter what you install first

Ok, thanks for clarifying.
If i start by installing Windows and following what Going Bald said about resizing the EFI partition, and then install Mac OS, Clover will still let me boot Sierra to use Multibeast right?

Ok, thanks for clarifying.
If i start by installing Windows and following what Going Bald said about resizing the EFI partition, and then install Mac OS, Clover will still let me boot Sierra to use Multibeast right?
if you go by the guide, you can't go wrong (hence the word guide) :)

I installed Win10 and OS Sierra succesfully. It was working until Win10 updated and reboted. No longer have uefi disc and clover at boot.

Can I do something now or install all of that again on separate drives using your other tutorial?

I installed Win10 and OS Sierra succesfully. It was working until Win10 updated and reboted. No longer have uefi disc and clover at boot.

Can I do something now or install all of that again on separate drives using your other tutorial?

I updated the BIOS and my Clover boot option was gone, but this worked for me:

Tracked down a solution that didn't require new apps - and this worked for me.

Pre - get your system booted up off the USB and mount the system EFI drive (not the USB EFI drive) - check your directories and copy down the path to the \CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI file (I noticed this differs some amongst varying install procedures on the net). Also, doesn't hurt to open Terminal and run "disk util" - note the /dev/disk# location of the drive that has the EFI installed in it. Now, restart and proceed.
  • Boot into clover off of the USB
  • Start up the Clover EFI shell
  • Pull the USB (saves confusion in the next step)
  • Type "map" (no quotes)
  • Look at the drives and apply some thinking about which one is the drive where your Clover EFI drive is - the drive# from disk util will help if you have several drives/partitions showing up. Once you've got it, note the drive - e.g. mine was "FS2"
  • Type "bcfg boot dump" (no quotes)
  • You'll see each boot entry proceeded with a number. For the love of Pete, don't use any of those - determine the next number up. My highest was 03, so I used 04 in the next step.
  • Type the following to create the boot entry:
    bcfg boot add 04 FS2:\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI CloverUEFI
  • In the above step, the path is helped out by having checked my mounted EFI drive on my system. The last part, "CloverUEFI" above is how the boot entry will appear in BIOS - name this as you will.
  • Type "bcfg boot dump" again to be sure your new entry made it.
  • Exit, shut down, pull the USB if you didn't already.
  • Hold down DEL to open BIOS settings - and in my case - CloverUEFI was in the Boot options. I set it as primary, and everything was back to normal with no more need to use the USB.

if you go by the guide, you can't go wrong (hence the word guide) :)
@feartech, we own the same laptop and I think you read my previous post.
Did you find it as hard as it was for me to install Windows 10?
I ran too many times into the "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot, etc"
I use the Windows OEM EFI USB installer created with the original laptop configuration.
The question is: Where does windows installer prepare the computer to boot during setup? Unfortunately during the last but successful procedure it was all too fast, and I was away when Windows restarted. Is it on the USB or on the HDD?
I would like to understand better where I was wrong, so that next time I don't have to play trial and error for three days again.
Thanks

@feartech, we own the same laptop and I think you read my previous post.
Did you find it as hard as it was for me to install Windows 10?
I ran too many times into the "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot, etc"
I use the Windows OEM EFI USB installer created with the original laptop configuration.
The question is: Where does windows installer prepare the computer to boot during setup? Unfortunately during the last but successful procedure it was all too fast, and I was away when Windows restarted. Is it on the USB or on the HDD?
I would like to understand better where I was wrong, so that next time I don't have to play trial and error for three days again.
Thanks
i don't multi boot :)

probably stores on the usb

Back