Contribute
Register

Guide: MultiBooting UEFI

@Going Bald - Thanks for that awesome guide. I just finished it seconds ago. Everything works fine.
After the Win installation I just changed the boot order in the BIOS to
- EFI SSD
and everything works fine.
System boots into clover - awesome!

But why I don't have to rename the bootmgfw file to get it working?
whats the benefit of this rename?

Or do i don't have to do it because I completely finished (multibeast steps with clover installation) the OS X installation days ago?!

I don't even have to install clover again -- it (seems to me) that clover remained untouched after installation of win10.

Thanks for any advises
This is something that seems to be system dependent - some hardware requires it, some does not. I suspect it is in the different OEM BIOS/UEFIs. What works with some does not work with others.

Ok, so I'm just a lucky guy. :)
Thanks for your support.

WTF rename the Windows boot manager file means?

WTF rename the Windows boot manager file means?
It means
mount the EFI partition
open Windows/boot folder
add -orig to the end of the executable file found in the boot folder

I didn't do it. I was faking with EFI. Renamed it differently. It didn't want to work so I unmounted it and mounted again. Anyway I don't know whats going on, so this is how My EFIs look now.
WP_20170608_00_35_17_Pro.jpg
And this is how clover looks without -orig and Mac OS usb.
WP_20170607_19_52_16_Pro.jpg
I did win10 and MacOS on it

Is it normal to have to 2 Efis? How much are you suppose to have it with win10 and sierra on one drive?

@Going Bald
Partition for Windows was improperly created/formatted.
Boot OS X, launch disk utility, delete the Windows partition. Extend the OS X partition to include the free space, exit disk utility.
Reboot to OS X, launch disk utility, shrink OS X partition to leave room for a Windows partition, format as if for OS X. Shutdown.
Boot Win10 installer, select Windows partition, format it, install Windows

You need a USB installer for each OS. 1 + 1 = 2
You can install either Win10 or Mac OS first, but if you install Clover on the HDD before you install Win10, Windows will overwrite Clover files. If you format drive with Win10 installer and install Win10 first, the EFI partition will be 100MB - too small for Mac OS (must be 200MB or larger).
Simplest procedure - boot Mac OS installer, format/partition drive. Install Mac OS. Shutdown, boot with Win10 installer and install Win10. Whutdown, boot with Mac OS installer, select the drive Mas OS icon and hit enter to boot to Mac OS desktop.
Once at desktop install Clover. Rename the Windows boot file in the EFI partition.

I pretty much screwed things up apparently.

I was up and running Sierra with no issues, created the UEFI USB with this settings in Rufus: D1sdzFW.png. (took the screenshot from another site as clearly I used a 32gb usb stick and not 4gb, but those are the settings I used).

Created successfully the disk partition, assigned 160gb for win10 and the rest for Sierra.

Booted into win10 installer, deleted the partition created on macOS, pressed "next" on the free space and got this: http://i.imgur.com/l1dRVNF.jpg

Rebooted and I saw that the partition was no longer free space. Gave the button "Format" a try on this partition and then pressed next. This happened: vX9F2M0.jpg

Now I deleted all partitions and resized my SSD to its original size, 256gb, so I'm starting from scratch. Any tips as to what went wrong?

Wrong procedure - in Win10 installer disk manager select the Win10 partition created in Mac OS Disk Utility, select delete partition. Select Action->All Tasks->Create new Simple volume (must be done with the free space from the deleted partition selected/hi-lited)
Then click Next.
I read the whole thread again and again and tried many times.
I have Sierra 10.12.5 installed on my SSD drive, Clover up and running.
I have two 16GB USB sticks. The first is the one for OS X, and that works fine.
The other one was created by Windows OEM on my laptop. When I boot from BIOS with just this stick connected, the only choice is "Boot from UEFI". So no MBR.
I boot from Sierra USB installer and extend the whole SSD for OS X. Then reboot the installer, resize the SDD to leave around 100MB for windows and format the new partition as Mac Journaled.
Then, whether I disconnected the Sierra stick or not, when I run Windows UEFI installer I find the partition I created, I delete it and then format to complete the installation.
But now when the installation begins and "Copying files to disk", this error comes up: "Windows can't copy files to the destination drive, start the installation again" (more or less, I have the Italian version).
Sometimes I ran into the "EFI is NTFS format" but sincerely I can't say when.
Please help, I could install Windows on a different HD, but there's a bootable CCC backup partition and I think I would run into the same trouble - and I don't want to erase that backup!
When Windows installer starts, I don't know where I can choose "Select Action->All Tasks->Create new Simple volume". There are no menus or options whatsoever.
I also changed the USB settings in BIOS, disabling legacy mode. No changes.
What am I missing?

Last edited:
Windows UEFI cannot be installed on MBR - only on GPT formated drive.

Back