Contribute
Register

Guide: MultiBooting UEFI

I'll bump this since Im still stuck on the same step.

I pretty much screwed things up apparently.

I was up and running Sierra with no issues, created the UEFI USB with this settings in Rufus: D1sdzFW.png. (took the screenshot from another site as clearly I used a 32gb usb stick and not 4gb, but those are the settings I used).

Created successfully the disk partition, assigned 160gb for win10 and the rest for Sierra.

Booted into win10 installer, deleted the partition created on macOS, pressed "next" on the free space and got this: http://i.imgur.com/l1dRVNF.jpg

Rebooted and I saw that the partition was no longer free space. Gave the button "Format" a try on this partition and then pressed next. This happened: vX9F2M0.jpg

Now I deleted all partitions and resized my SSD to its original size, 256gb, so I'm starting from scratch. Any tips as to what went wrong?
Wrong procedure - in Win10 installer disk manager select the Win10 partition created in Mac OS Disk Utility, select delete partition. Select Action->All Tasks->Create new Simple volume (must be done with the free space from the deleted partition selected/hi-lited)
Then click Next.

Wrong procedure - in Win10 installer disk manager select the Win10 partition created in Mac OS Disk Utility, select delete partition. Select Action->All Tasks->Create new Simple volume (must be done with the free space from the deleted partition selected/hi-lited)
Then click Next.

Gotcha.

I had some issues and rolled back to Windows, but I now also need Sierra (dual boot).

This guide installs Sierra as the first OS, is there any way I can install Sierra AFTER installing win10? if so, how?

Also, if those are the steps then this guide is wrong as it clearly states to simply select the free space as the install destination, it never states to create any volume whatsoever. Even the pic shows the unalocated space and the "next" button highlighted.

Last edited:
Gotcha.

I had some issues and rolled back to Windows, but I now also need Sierra (dual boot).

This guide installs Sierra as the first OS, is there any way I can install Sierra AFTER installing win10? if so, how?

The trick to installing Mac OS after Windows is the size of the EFI partition. MacOS installer wants it to be 200MB or larger and the Windows installer makes it 100MB by default. Mac OS disk utility will also complain if the EFI partition is not the first partition on the drive, and Win10 installer makes it the 2nd or 3rd partition.
If you do not mind installing Win10 again, first boot the installer, at the first screen hold shift+F10 to open a command prompt window and launch diskpart. First list disk to make sure of your drive's identity, select the drive, clean the drive, convert to gpt, then create an EFI partition formatted FAT32 of at least 200MB in size (suggest 300MB). Exit diskpart, exit the command window and continue the install. Do not bother creating a Sierra partition now - just let the Windows installer have the entire drive to play with.
Later, when you are ready for the Sierra installation, use the windows disk management tool to shrink the windows partition, create a new simple volume in the free space formatted NTFS. Then, when you get ready to install Sierra, boot UniBeast, launch Disk Utility and just erase the Mac OS partition as Mac OS Extended (journaled) and install Sierra on it.

If you do not mind installing Win10 again

That was my point, since I am currently running Windows only with a bunch of software already installed, I was wondering if there was a way to keep windows with my files and simply add Sierra. If I would like to do the opposite then I would simply follow this guide, correct? Also, mind checking the last paragraph of my above post? is the guide wrong in that specific step? it never specifies to create any sort of volume whatsoever, it clearly says to select the unalocated space as the install destination. I did that and well, I got the error I posted the other day.

I have no problem deleting Windows, installing Sierra as the only OS and later add Windows to dual boot, but if there's a way to simply add Sierra without deleting Windows then that would be optimal.

is the guide wrong in that specific step? it never specifies to create any sort of volume whatsoever, it clearly says to select the unalocated space as the install destination. I did that and well, I got the error I posted the other day.
It states that and that is the way I did it myself. A gave you the additional step to try because your system obviously has a problem with it. Not sure why this happens with some hardware and not others.
I have no problem deleting Windows, installing Sierra as the only OS and later add Windows to dual boot, but if there's a way to simply add Sierra without deleting Windows then that would be optimal.
If your Windows EFI partition is more than 200MB you can go ahead and install Mac OS on the same drive as Win10, but if it is less the Mac OS installer will tell you it cannot be installed (slashed circle).

Hi @Going Bald
first - thanks for your guide. I'm new at building hackintosh. I just finished Storks Guide to get it running.
But for now it seems, that I have put me on a dead end?

Is it possible to get Win10 dual boot (OS X and win on one SSD) after completing the whole hackintosh guide (multibeast already running and done - hack works fine)

I'm not pretty sure ... thanks in advance for any help.
Greetz

Last edited:
Hi @Going Bald
first - thanks for your guide. I'm new at building hackintosh. I just finished Storks Guide to get it running.
But for now it seems, that I have put me on a dead end?

Is it possible to get Win10 dual boot (OS X and win on one SSD) after completing the whole hackintosh guide (multibeast already running and done - hack works fine)

I'm not pretty sure ... thanks in advance for any help.
Greetz
See post 1. You will need to re-install Clover after installing Win10.

I finally managed to dual boot both Sierra and win10. However, I noticed that windows now recreates the bootmgfw file upon either updates or startup, making the system automatically boot into windows and not clover. I solved it by mounting the EFI partition on Windows and renaming the file there, but that's far from a permanent solution..

Anyone happens to know a permanent fix for this?

@Going Bald - Thanks for that awesome guide. I just finished it seconds ago. Everything works fine.
After the Win installation I just changed the boot order in the BIOS to
- EFI SSD
and everything works fine.
System boots into clover - awesome!

But why I don't have to rename the bootmgfw file to get it working?
whats the benefit of this rename?

Or do i don't have to do it because I completely finished (multibeast steps with clover installation) the OS X installation days ago?!

I don't even have to install clover again -- it (seems to me) that clover remained untouched after installation of win10.

Thanks for any advises

Back