Contribute
Register

Guide: MultiBooting UEFI

Boot Mac OS, mount the EFI partition, right click on the EFI partition icon and select get info.
What does the get info pop up have the EFI partition format listed as? Not sure how it could have gotten formatted NTFS.

Boot Mac OS, mount the EFI partition, right click on the EFI partition icon and select get info.
What does the get info pop up have the EFI partition format listed as? Not sure how it could have gotten formatted NTFS.
will do when i get home tonight. In the meantime, i know that the message that pops up at the bottom of the windows listed the 100 MB partition 5 as an EFI partition, perhaps thats the one that got formatted?

My Installer USB was created from dowloading the installer from Microsoft and using Bootcamp Assistant's installer creator. Is that correct? I don't have a PC to use Rufus with.

Are there any BIOS settings that need to be done to ensure proper installation? Boot Options, legacy vs UEFI stuff, etc?

Last edited:
will do when i get home tonight. In the meantime, i know that the message that pops up at the bottom of the windows listed the 100 MB partition 5 as an EFI partition, perhaps thats the one that got formatted?

My Installer USB was created from dowloading the installer from Microsoft and using Bootcamp Assistant's installer creator. Is that correct? I don't have a PC to use Rufus with.

Are there any BIOS settings that need to be done to ensure proper installation? Boot Options, legacy vs UEFI stuff, etc?
There should be only one EFI partition - the one made by Mac OS Disk Utility.

Thanks a bunch. I'll try this on my machine today, hope everything goes well.

Thanks for the this great post. I want to make dual boot Windows 10 + OSX Sierra from the same disk. My laptop has Windows 10 installed as EFI. I shrunk the size on the drive to created another partition for OSX. I managed to install OSX on the new partition. I can boot into OSX using clover boot USB and everything runs fine. I installed clover on the HDD and it installed fine. I can see the clover files in the /EFI directory.

However clover does not boot from HDD. It goes straight into Windows 10.

Is there anything I can do to make clover start from my HDD ?

Thanks for the this great post. I want to make dual boot Windows 10 + OSX Sierra from the same disk. My laptop has Windows 10 installed as EFI. I shrunk the size on the drive to created another partition for OSX. I managed to install OSX on the new partition. I can boot into OSX using clover boot USB and everything runs fine. I installed clover on the HDD and it installed fine. I can see the clover files in the /EFI directory.

Clover config.plist -> Default boot volume. See the Clover Wiki

Ran into this, took me forever to figure out but I got it in the end (might want to add this solution to original post, since seems to be a frequent issue with windows 10). Figured that clover just wasn't just not showing, it was just not present (if you were able to run clover from HDD and boot into OSx). Installing Windows overrides and changes the default EFI order.
Situation: Installed OSX first, clover, then installed Windows 10 (created via bootcamp) on the same HDD, different partitions, UEFI mode

Solution:
1) Boot into windows
2) Download and install easyuefi (may need to disable smart screen if it's a fresh installation - google it)
3) Create new boot option
3)a) Change platform to other os (windows by default), call it whatever you want
3)b) Click the EFI block (small radio button) on your main HDD
3)c) Browse for path, EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi (or whatever .efi you have in that directory)
4) Select the newly created boot option and move the order higher up (up arrow)
5) Reboot and ta-da

I'm not able to install Windows 10 for some reason. I followed the steps to create 2 equal sized GPT JHFS+ partitions, and installed Sierra on the first one without issue. When I try to install windows through a Boot CAmp Assistant created installer USB, i first get an error "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. to install windows, restart the installation." when i restart, i can see that partitions have been created, but when i try to install again, i get a new error: "Windows detected that the EFI system partition was formatted as NTFS. Format the EFI system partition as FAT32, and restart the installation". I tried formatting the EFI partitions, but it just brings that error up again. Any suggestions for how to resolve?

Just tried installing Windows10 and ran into the same issue. I think I see the problem - but no idea of the solution. When I re-booted Sierra, after cancelling the Win install, I ran diskutil list and see the following output:
/dev/disk0 (internal):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme 512.1 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Sierra 451.6 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 5.9 GB disk0s3
4: Windows Recovery 471.9 MB disk0s4
5: Windows Recovery 471.9 MB disk0s5
6: EFI NO NAME 104.9 MB disk0s6
7: Microsoft Reserved 16.8 MB disk0s7
8: Microsoft Basic Data 53.3 GB disk0s8

Looks like the Win installer created a 2nd EFI partition called "NO NAME"!!! Not sure what to do now???

Just tried installing Windows10 and ran into the same issue. I think I see the problem - but no idea of the solution. When I re-booted Sierra, after cancelling the Win install, I ran diskutil list and see the following output:
/dev/disk0 (internal):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme 512.1 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Sierra 451.6 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 5.9 GB disk0s3
4: Windows Recovery 471.9 MB disk0s4
5: Windows Recovery 471.9 MB disk0s5
6: EFI NO NAME 104.9 MB disk0s6
7: Microsoft Reserved 16.8 MB disk0s7
8: Microsoft Basic Data 53.3 GB disk0s8

Looks like the Win installer created a 2nd EFI partition called "NO NAME"!!! Not sure what to do now???
Delete partitions 4,5,6,7,8. Backup EFI folder on the EFI partition. Use terminal to format the EFI partition FAT32. Copy EFI folder back to EFI partition, reboot. Try again to install Windows.

The EFI partition 1 is FAT32. I'm guessing that Windows error about it being NTFS is referring to the additional EFI "NO NAME" partition that it created itself. So, I've deleted the other partitions.

Any ideas on what's behind this error and why the Win installer created a 2nd EFI?

Back