Contribute
Register

Guide: MultiBooting UEFI

I have both of Going Bald's guide up for multibooting: (1) separate drives; and, (2) same drive. I can't decide whether to go on the same drive or use separate drives. Other than having to buy another drive (which I already have), any advantage/disadvantage for one way or the other? Thank you.

I have both of Going Bald's guide up for multibooting: (1) separate drives; and, (2) same drive. I can't decide whether to go on the same drive or use separate drives. Other than having to buy another drive (which I already have), any advantage/disadvantage for one way or the other? Thank you.
Same drive limits you for space for additional apps and storage. Same drive is a PITA when you update/upgrade Windows and it overwrites the EFI protected MBR and you have to reinstall Clover to be able to boot OS X. If you have OS X first on drive and Windows after and you want to Wipe OS X, leaves first part of drive unusable by Windows as you cannot extend the Windows partition back to the start of the drive - only way is to re-install. Otherwise can only format and use as storage.

Recommend separate drives if at all possible.

I have a single drive setup running 11.6, installed and ready, booting with Clover EFI. No windows.

If I create an empty partition for Win10, can I just follow this guide from "Shut down, remove OSX installer USB and boot Windows installer"?

I have a single drive setup running 11.6, installed and ready, booting with Clover EFI. No windows.

If I create an empty partition for Win10, can I just follow this guide from "Shut down, remove OSX installer USB and boot Windows installer"?
Yes.

I installed osx Sierra first then Windows and after that the Glover bootloader with multibeast - everything seemed to be fine and Windows is starting correctly but if I want to start osx the loadingbar stucks at a certain point; tried it a few time always like a millimeter before it would finish :beachball:.

Have I done something wrong o_O

I installed osx Sierra first then Windows and after that the Glover bootloader with multibeast - everything seemed to be fine and Windows is starting correctly but if I want to start osx the loadingbar stucks at a certain point; tried it a few time always like a millimeter before it would finish :beachball:.

Have I done something wrong o_O
boot with -v boot-arg to see where it is hanging

Hey Going Bald.

Thanks for that nice structured tutorial. I followed it along and installed first OS X Sierra and afterwards Win10 on one SSD.
Afterwards I renamed the bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi and installed multibeast with clover on my Sierra partition.

Now I cannot boot from my SSD anymore (in bios its named: windows boot manager) and only with USB pen I can boot to windows/osx.

Have I forgotten something? On the EFI partition I have folders for Clover, Windows and Apple but it does not load on startup :(

Hope you can help me.
Regards

edit: One thing I made different is the fact that I did the partition for Win10 in the install mode of OSX (the same time I created the partition for OSX) and not after it was installed. But I think this should not matter? Or does it?

Last edited:
Hey Going Bald.

Thanks for that nice structured tutorial. I followed it along and installed first OS X Sierra and afterwards Win10 on one SSD.
Afterwards I renamed the bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi and installed multibeast with clover on my Sierra partition.

Now I cannot boot from my SSD anymore (in bios its named: windows boot manager) and only with USB pen I can boot to windows/osx.

Have I forgotten something? On the EFI partition I have folders for Clover, Windows and Apple but it does not load on startup :(

Hope you can help me.
Regards

edit: One thing I made different is the fact that I did the partition for Win10 in the install mode of OSX (the same time I created the partition for OSX) and not after it was installed. But I think this should not matter? Or does it?
Post pic of UEFI/BIOS Boot->Boot devices order. You say SSD is named windows boot manager - are there no other entries?

Post pic of UEFI/BIOS Boot->Boot devices order. You say SSD is named windows boot manager - are there no other entries?

If I select "UEFI only" in Bios it shows me only the windows boot manager + inserted USB devices.
If I select "show all" then he show me my general ssd additionally to windows boot manager, but this doesnt work neither.

20170211_212944.jpg

These are the two options without any usb stick inserted.

edit: diskutil list delivers the following:

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Sierra 79.5 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
4: Microsoft Reserved 16.8 MB disk0s4
5: Microsoft Basic Data 419.7 GB disk0s5

And my EFI drive has the following structure:
APPLE
--Extensions
--Firmware
--Updaters
Boot
CLOVER
--(multiple folders)
Microsoft
--Boot
--Recovery

Last edited:
Expand Boot Configuration and CSM support options and post pic.
Have you tried Bbot to OS X, re-install Clover UEFI to SSD?

Back