Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] macOS Catalina on ASRock DeskMini 310 with 9th Gen Intel Core CPU, Dual-Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
10/15.4 with OC works fine. I tried HDMI port - do not work (black after boot) Port is the same, may be bios is different my is the latest 4.40

Last edited:
10/15.4 with OC works fine. I tried HDMI port - do not work (black after boot) Port is the same, may be bios is different my is the latest 4.40

I will have to investigate OpenCore for my next OS install, but I ended up downgrading to Mojave because I need 32 bit app support (I realized this after I had first installed Catalina. So far, everything is working great except the display port, but I'll just use HDMI for now!

Thanks for your help with everything viorel78!!

Has anyone tried patching the Framebuffer for the Deskmini with the h310m-stx and an i5 8400? When I open up Hackintool, one of my connectors is highlighted in red (my HDMI) but any other connect I plug in doesn't highlight any additional columns, so I don't know which connector is DP and which one is VGA. I'm using platform ID 0x3E9B0007

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 7.20.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 7.20.03 AM.png
    103.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 7.21.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 7.21.23 AM.png
    104.9 KB · Views: 91
Hello,
Finally I've been able to make (almost) everything work on my Mini-PC with Hackintosh and Windows. :headbang:

View attachment 437696
I'm writing this quick guide in case someone is having the same or a similar configuration.

HARDWARE
Case: ASRock DeskMini 310 Barebone Mini-PC
Motherboard: H310M-STX
CPU: Intel Core i5 9500 3,00 Ghz (9th Gen)
SSD1: Crucial MX500 CT500MX500SSD4 M.2 500 GB (Windows)
SSD2: Western Digital WDS250G1B0A Blue S-ATA 250 GB (macOS)
RAM: Crucial CT8G4SFS824A 8 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz
Wi-Fi / Bluetooth: BCM94360CS2 Bluetooth 4.0 Wi-Fi Card + BCM94360CS2 BCM943224PCIEBT2 12+6 Pin Mini-PCI to M.2 Adapter

SOFTWARE
macOS Catalina 10.15.x
Microsoft Windows 10
Clover 5018
Clover Configurator

KEXTS
AppleALC
FakeSMC
IntelMausiEthernet
Lilu
USBPorts
WhateverGreen

FEATURES
Ethernet, Bluetooth, USB Type-C, USB Type-A, DisplayPort + Audio, Audio Ports
Graphics acceleration, native Intel UHD 630
Sleep / Stop
iCloud, iMessage, AirDrop and every other Apple service
x HDMI and VGA ports (works with Windows only)
x Wi-Fi (works with Windows only)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTES
• I assume no responsibility or liability for any errors or problems that may occur by consequence of following this tutorial.
• Not so long ago, I heard that it's better to run macOS installer on USB 2.0 drives. I used an USB Type-C 3.1 pen drive instead and it worked perfectly. So feel free to use any kind of USB stick you want.
• I also heard that macOS may have some troubles running on SSD M.2 drives. Since I have both a M.2 and a S-ATA SSD, I directly installed macOS on the S-ATA and used the M.2 one for Windows. I didn't try macOS on a M.2 drive. If you are going to try Catalina with a M.2 drive, please let me know if it works for you or not. — UPDATE: According to some recent feedbacks, macOS should work fine also on a M.2 drive.
• Dual boot won't work if you are using one hard drive with two partitions. Two separate hard drives are needed.

The following instructions will work also if you want to install macOS only, without Windows and dual-boot. In this case, please skip the steps 1), 5) and 6) below.
• You'll notice that I'm not providing detailed instructions on how to create USB installers. There are hundreds of tutorials on how to do that, so I focused on the rest instead.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

BEFORE INSTALL
• Use a DisplayPort cable. HDMI is not supported natively, so you won't be able to install macOS if you use HDMI. You can apply a frame buffer patch later to make HDMI work, if you don't want to keep using the DisplayPort.
• Configure the BIOS as follows:
Advanced > Chipset Configuration > VT-d: Disabled
Advanced > Chipset Configuration > Onboard HD Audio: Enabled
Advanced > USB Configuration > XHCI Hand-off: Enabled
Security > Secure Boot: Disabled
• Set up an USB pen drive with Windows 10 installer
• Set up another USB pen drive with macOS 10.15.x installer without Unibeast using the Terminal 'createinstallmedia'
method and then manually installing on it — as destination volume — the latest version of Clover available here. Then, use Clover Configurator to mount the EFI partition of this pen drive (Mount EFI -> Mount Partition, next to macOS Installer USB stick) so that you can operate in it and replace the whole EFI folder with the one attached below.
• Copy Clover Configurator tool and the EFI folder attached below to another USB drive.
• IMPORTANT: The EFI.zip file attached below was built for macOS Catalina 10.15.1. Before proceeding, please ensure to download and replace Lilu.kext, AppleALC.kext and WhateverGreen.kext with their latest version in the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other path.

INSTALL
1) Install Windows 10 on the first drive
2) Install macOS Catalina on the second drive

3) After installing macOS, you should be able to log in and see the desktop / finder. Copy Clover Configurator and EFI.zip to the desktop and remove every connected USB pen drive. As exlpained above, don't forget to update Lilu, AppleALC and WhateverGreen kexts before moving on.
4) Open Clover Configurator and mount the macOS hard drive EFI partition. Replace the EFI folder with the one attached here, like you did in the USB pen drive before installing.
5) Reboot the PC, go to the BIOS and ensure that the default boot partition is macOS EFI Boot Loader. Not the Windows one. Save and reboot.
6) Start Windows and install Wi-Fi and Bluethooth drivers for BCM94360CS2 card available here.
7) Enjoy!

I hope this can be helpful to everyone having a configuration like mine.
And since some minor stuff is not working, like HDMI and Wi-Fi on macOS, any suggestion on how to fix it would be very appreciated.

Good luck! ;)

Thanks to liminghuang for the help!
Hi how did you get audio to work i have same spec but no sound devices? any idea thanks

Do not search how to patching the Framebuffer for the Deskmini with the h310m-stx Hakintool knows deskmini frame buffer

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 21.15.33.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 21.15.33.png
    235.9 KB · Views: 99
Viorel I think that's the solution. I have the wrong framebuffer settings because I'm using a mobile platform from wrong device. However when I swtich my hackintool to your settings i can't use HDMI and display port still doesn't work. what are your port index settings? can you screenshot and show me?

as i said before i do not path the frambuffer Whatevergreen do this automatically. I am using a moble platform too but green automaticaly inject corect frame for my processor 0x3e9b8086( real we have 0x35928086) but the framebuffer is the same

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 21.51.48.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 21.51.48.png
    98.7 KB · Views: 80
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back