Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Mac OS 10.8 on Sony Vaio SA/SB/SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the tip RehabMan, i'll give them a go and see if it improves things a bit.

Cheers
Jay

It would allow you to implement Ivy Bridge power management (if you have Ivy CPU)...

RehabMan,

Ok I used your version of MaciASL to add the VAIO-S changes to my DSDT, got one compile error :-
Code:
32 Error    Name already exists in scope (\TNOT)
I think i'm safe in deleting that line ?, well i did and it compiled fine, I'm running the new DSDT now, seemed to boot fine, and all seems well so far, will see if the edits help although my CPU is Sandy Bridge not Ivy.

The modified AppleACPIPlatform.kext you were referring to, is needed other wise the system does not wake up correctly after a lid close, well it does but there is no backlight, using the modified kext seems to sort that, i know it should be done in the DSDT but my knowledge of DSDT editing is very limited.

Cheers
Jay

RehabMan,

Ok I used your version of MaciASL to add the VAIO-S changes to my DSDT, got one compile error :-

19 Error Name already exists in scope (\TNOT)

I think i'm safe in deleting that line ?, well i did and it compiled fine,

Yes, very common error (I actually think it is a bug in the iasl disassembler). There is a patch in my repo also for it (it removes the line just as you did).

I'm running the new DSDT now, seemed to boot fine, and all seems well so far, will see if the edits help although my CPU is Sandy Bridge not Ivy.

Then it is not as critical to run with current AppleACPIPlatform...

The modified AppleACPIPlatform.kext you were referring to, is needed other wise the system does not wake up correctly after a lid close, well it does but there is no backlight, using the modified kext seems to sort that, i know it should be done in the DSDT but my knowledge of DSDT editing is very limited.

Yes, there is probably more DSDT edits to be done in similar way of the battery. If you post your DSDT I'll look... I could always add the patches to the battery patch even if they are not really battery patches... (with comments, of course).

RehabMan,

I'd appreciate it if you could take a look at the DSDT - i've attached my original one and the new one with your Sony S edits, On the whole the system is stable when running OSX, i'm just not sure about that AppleACPIPlatform... (V1.3.6) which i've also attached.

Cheers dude, you helped me a few months back with a new variant of the bluetooth firmware loader, which i've used on three different builds (same card in each)

Cheers
Jay

Update: The DSDT has had quite a few people's input to get it to where it is now, with Cyberwalrus doing most of the work, the first post contains the link to the GitHub repo. The main problem for me (when using latest AppleACPIPlatform 1.8) is that the system does not always sleep when the lid is closed, then when you open it again it will go to sleep so you have to wake it again, sometimes no backlight .. i wonder if it is this behaviour that is causing the X on your battery manager ?

I suspect that they may be a some methods not defined correctly in the DSDT which stop it working with the latest AppleACPIPlatform (1.8) as opposed to the modded AppleACPIPlatform (1.3.6). One further point when i used this DSDT on 10.7.4 the system detected the Power button correctly, under ML it does not, at least not for me.

Attachments

• Files for Rehab.zip
    459.2 KB · Views: 108
RehabMan,

I'd appreciate it if you could take a look at the DSDT - i've attached my original one and the new one with your Sony S edits, On the whole the system is stable when running OSX, i'm just not sure about that AppleACPIPlatform... (V1.3.6) which i've also attached.

Cheers dude, you helped me a few months back with a new variant of the bluetooth firmware loader, which i've sinced used on three different builds (same card in each).

Cheers
Jay

Update: The DSDT has had quite a few people's input to get it to where it is now, with Cyberwalrus doing most of the work, the first post contains the link to the GitHub repo. The main problem for me (when using latest AppleACPIPlatform 1.8) is that the system does not always sleep when the lid is closed, then when you open it again it will go to sleep so you have to wake it again, sometimes no backlight .. i wonder if it is this behaviour that is causing the X on your battery manager ?

I suspect that they may be a some methods not defined correctly in the DSDT which stop it working with the latest AppleACPIPlatform (1.8) as opposed to the modded AppleACPIPlatform (1.3.6) one further point when i used this DSDT on 10.7.4 the system detected the Power button correctly, under ML it does not, at least not for me.

The ACPIPlatform you're using is from SL. For whatever reason, the SL version is more robust in dealing with PC AML code. Eventually, it will become impossible to use the old ACPIPlatform as OS X is updated, so it would be better to figure out what needs to change in the DSDT...

One thing I notice is that you are evidently sharing DSDTs instead of sharing patches to DSDT. Similar to sharing a toothbrush with a stranger. It works sometimes, and other times results in strange things...

Have you done a diff recently between your native DSDT and the DSDT you're using? It might be a good idea.

I notice that the _WAK method has some calls to set brightness on IGPU (the call to \_SB.PCI0.IGPU.DD02._BCM(BRTL)). Was that in the original DSDT or added?

Way back when i started working with Cyberwalrus on this (10.7.2) there were two DSDT for the Sony Vaio SA & SB (only difference was display resolution) , i got in touch with CW and together we figured out the differences with the SE, I sent him data and he built the initial DSDT, once we got rolling other members helped out in fixing things like the brightness and the ATI GPU power down.

The GitHub for the DSDT is here:-

https://github.com/mdlawson/vaiobook

But i don't think much has been done since last year, i tried getting in touch with CW recently but not sure if he his monitoring the thread that often. I tried to build a new DSDT ages ago but way too many errors for me to deal with. So the only DSDT i've used are those i've sent you.

Cheers
Jay

Way back when i started working with Cyberwalrus on this (10.7.2) there were two DSDT for the Sony Vaio SA & SB (only difference was display resolution) , i got in touch with CW and together we figured out the differences with the SE, I sent him data and he built the initial DSDT, once we got rolling other members helped out in fixing things like the brightness and the ATI GPU power down.

The GitHub for the DSDT is here:-

https://github.com/mdlawson/vaiobook

But i don't think much has been done since last year, i tried getting in touch with CW recently but not sure if he his monitoring the thread that often. I tried to build a new DSDT ages ago but way too many errors for me to deal with. So the only DSDT i've used are those i've sent you.

Cheers
Jay

On the ProBook we have found that various parts of the DSDT can change with only small configuration changes between machines. For example, BIOS updates often change the addresses used for SystemMemory. And the amount of RAM has the same effect. PCIe cards installed or not installed, same thing. As a result, we never use a foreign DSDT and generate a new patched DSDT whenever such configuration/BIOS changes are made.

If you want me to do a diff, extract your native DSDT and post it as well as the DSDT you're actually using.

I did not think that was possible as I need a DSDT in order to boot, even when using unibeast
Please forgive my ignorance, how would I extract a native DSDT?

Jay

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    43.7 KB · Views: 74
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back