Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Mac OS 10.8 on Sony Vaio SA/SB/SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Works nearly perfect with a Atheros AR3011+AR9285, the PID of 9285 has been changed from 2B to 2A, so don't need to add ID 2B on IO80211 anymore.

The only issue for me is the HDMI audio, try to change DSDT of Walrus but failed.

Works nearly perfect with a Atheros AR3011+AR9285, the PID of 9285 has been changed from 2B to 2A, so don't need to add ID 2B on IO80211 anymore.

The only issue for me is the HDMI audio, try to change DSDT of Walrus but failed.

Hi pongchang, can you please show me the instructions of replacing intel wifi card with Atheros AR3011+AR9285 ? Thanks for your help.

It's easy. remove the back cover and the battery. It's beside the memory card. Release the connection of the antenna and two screws. Replace the new 2 in 1 card.

just back to 10.8.4

1.upgrade to 5 with app store, can't enter the desktop. delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and It can enter, install 196.0.0, it can sleep but can't wake up as fast as before, sometimes even black screen.

2. Bluetooth has been changed. There is not AppleBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport.kext in plugins any more. It affect my AR3011 even add ID.

3. Wifi works as good as before after the ID has been changed to 2a from 2b for my AR9285, which become to 9280 on Mac and 928X on Win7 after the change.

I also reinstall a new 10.8.5 but same as upgrade, so back to 4 again.

Working OSX 10.8.5, Battery, WiFi & USB3....:headbang:

Hi CyberWalrus and fellow Sony Vaio SA/SB/SE OSX Users

You’ll have to forgive me but this is going to be a long post, hang on in there though because you might find it worth the read.

I hope you remember me, I worked with you on getting OSX Lion running on our Vaio’s last year and I’ve been very happy with running 10.7.4 since then. Just to recap my laptop is a Sony Vaio VPCSE25E 15” 1920x1080 , i7-2640M, 8 Gig RAM 128GB SSD for OSX and the DVD-RW replaced with a caddy containing a 750GB, 7200RPM HDD with Ubuntu and Win 7x64 installed on it.

Last month I gave your latest Vaiopack a go with OSX 10.8.2, but it would not boot half the time and if it did it was unstable with sleep/wake issues, no battery. . . . etc, it just didn’t feel stable enough for me to commit to ML, so I went back to my trusted 10.7.4 build.

Since then I’ve added a few other CustoMAC's and a iPhone to my gadget collection and am using iMessages daily. Now that we have OSX 10.8.5 and some big updates to Chimera and MultiBeast I thought I’d give it anther shot. After a fair bit of work I seem to have got a very stable 10.8.5 build with just about everything working, I’ve run it for over two days now and its not crashed, locked or KP’d ,it sleeps and wakes fine, the battery indicator seems to be working well as does the USB3 port and all the other stuff which was working before.

The following is my new installation method, it relies on some components from your latest Vaiopack and a some new kext’s, since you did the hard work with the DSDT and SSDT edits, it seems only fair to post this here rather than a new thread, if you and others find it works then maybe you can update the Vaiopack ?

Just remember this is on a SE so it may or my not work on SA/SB no guarantees...

Important: I used the very latest Mountain Lion Installer, I deleted the existing one in my ‘Applications’ folder and used the AppStore to re-download the Latest OSX Mountain Lion (10.8.5 Supplement 1.0) see here for more info:-

http://www.tonymacx86.com/382-update-your-os-x-mountain-lion-app-10-8-5.html

Download the latest versions of UniBeast (2.1.1) and Multibeast (5.5.2), and create a new USB OSX 10.8.5 installer as detailed in the Pre Installation section of the guide at the start of this thread, make sure to select 10.8 and Laptop Support as the installation type in Unibeast.

Before continuing make sure you have downloaded and extracted the Vaiopack and the additional files attached to the bottom of this post.

Perform the basic OSX Install as detailed in the Installation Section of the guide and continue on to the first part of the Post Installation section, copy the correct DSDT to the desktop, run the new MultiBeast and select the options as per the guide, also select 'USB 3.0 Universal' and be-sure to install 'FakeSMC' and the two Plugins and the HWMonnitor App, its useful to find out if your CPU is throttling ok, I also added the TRIM Enabler as I’m using a SSD.

Here is what the Multibeast options should Look Like:-

Sony Multibeast Options.jpg

Once Multibeast has done its thing is where things start to differ a little bit from the original guide, run Kext Utility and install ONLY the following kext’s from the Vaiopack :-

• AppleACPIPlatform.kext
  • AppleHDA.kext
  • AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment.kext
  • IOAudioFamily.kext

Vaio SE owners should install the two kext’s in the SE only folder and the Trackpad.prefplane as per the guide, SA/SB users should use whatever trackpad solution you have been using.

Next Install the two kext’s from the kext folder in my attachment:-

• ACPIBatteryManager.kext
  • toledaARPT.kext (Enabler for AR9287 .. etc)

Make sure you make all the SSDT changes as per the original guide and re-boot & prey ;)

With this setup my Vaio SE is running 10.8.5 really well, I have had no issues with the USB3 port, so far i've used several USB-2 memory stick's, a USB mouse and a USB3 External HDD for TimeMachine (seems to run about twice as quick as a standard USB 2 port) its never locked up so i think it should be good for SA/SB, seems to be fine after sleep too.

ML seems to change screen resolution just before it opens OSX which causes a slight distortion of the Apple logo before it loads the desktop, to solve this I added:-

Code:
    <key>Graphics Mode</key>
    <string>1600x900x32</string>
to 'org.chameleon.Boot.plist' in /Extra, change this to whatever resolution you run your OSX desktop at.

If you want to get iMessages working you will need to add an additional file to the modules folder in /Extra, see my thread here :-

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html#post671803

If you've just installed OSX don't worry about cleaning the old iMessage setup data, just install the file as directed towards the bottom of the post.

If after doing all the above everything is working for you and you want to complete the OSX experience then install the package in the 'Misc' folder called 'Carllion' in my attachment to add the Apple boot-up chime !

We still got to try and get the power management a little better and 'About This Mac' will still cause a Finder restart (not bothered) but as it stands now I think this is good progress and puts us in a good shape for Mavericks when Apple finally make it public, let me know how you get on.

Cheers
Jay

Additional Info on New Kext's

I can not take the credit for these new kext's I found both of them on GitHub after a lot of searching through forums.

The battery kext is written by RehabMan who’s work is legendary in these forums, it seems to work quite well, reporting the battery state correctly, no evil voodoo required !, however very occasionally it will put an ‘X’ 0n the battery icon when waking from sleep, closing the lid and re-opening usually gets it back after which it wont do it again until the next cold boot. There is a debug version of the battery injector kext available that will write debug info to the main log file which may be helpful to us, full info and the debug version this project can be found here :-

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Battery-Driver

The other kext is written by Hackingtosh master Toleda, known best for his work hacking AppleHDA and getting HDMI audio working, it’s an enabler for the AR9287 and a few other common PCIe WiFi cards, lots of good info on this subject here:-

https://github.com/toleda/airport_pcie-hm

More information on the Carillon Package can be found here :-

https://github.com/nicoSWD/Carillon

Don't try any of the alternate versions, the correct version is the one in the attachment.

Attachments

• New Sony Files.zip
    222 KB · Views: 188
Thanks for the tip RehabMan, i'll give them a go and see if it improves things a bit.

Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back