Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Jerivalu’s Build: Fresh 10.11.5, Z170X-UD5 TH, 6700k, Intel HD 530, Thunderbolt, Dual Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW I've got 3 screens running on this machine now, the motherboard HDMI 2.0 driving a 4K screen, and two startech displaylink USB3.0(type A) to HDMI driving two 1080p monitors. (And a decklink driving a TV for good measure). I tried a non-displaylink USB-C to hdmi adaptor and it didn't work. I wonder is a displaylink enabled USB-C to hdmi would work?

Either way, happy with my system.

Hi Friend!!
What is the exact model of the Firewire card OOB?
Thanks for your help!!

I bought an Apple USB-C to USB adapter. In El Cap, only USB2 devices show up/work when connected to this port. In Sierra, USB3 devices also work properly. Hotswapping works too. The port is recognized as USB3.1 but I don't have USB3.1 devices to test with.

I can confirm that the Apple TB to Ethernet adapter works when connected to the Startech TB3 to TB2 adapter. Has to be connected on boot to work. In El Cap and Sierra. Speeds look right for a gigabit connection, no discernible difference with the builtin port.

Just wanna inform that i got my Zotac Amp! Extreme GTX 1080 2 days ago and got it running after a few tweaks.
Only check Webdrivers didnt work for me - so i did a bit of research and found it was a problem with the Model.

iMac17,1 so you need to get NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext and Lilu.kext and it worked for me!
Guess i will remove the Lilu.kext and try - because i read it's not necessary.

Just want to let everyone know I've updated to 10.12.5 and installed a evga 1080ti sc2. Everything that worked before still does!

Can you outline the steps? I'd prefer to avoid backing up / nuking if possible...but I'm open to whatever :)
Thanks

Just thought I'd chime in that I've successfully updated the Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH Bios from F5 straight to F21.
I'm running El Capitan 10.11.6 (15G1510)

Did it all from OSX.
Opened clover, Mounted EFI, edited config.plist - and reading another thread made sure:
Acpi > Patch APIC was ticked
and
Kernel and Kext Patches > Kernel PM was ticked (already was)
(what do these do anyone?)

Downloaded the Bios update from Gigabyte here.
Unzipped and just placed Z17XU5TH.F21 file on a FAT formatted USB - rebooted and tapped the END key - selected the USB and then the Z17XU5TH.F21 file. Bios then updated.

Booted straight into Win10 on another drive so on reboot just tapped Delete and redid the usual/same hackintosh bios settings.

Clover start up screen came up and works no prob (though takes 2 boots to recognize the full 16gb ram - which always happens after setting XMP).

Only prob I've had is in Windows playing Borderlands2 > had BSOD error irql_not_less_or_equal (any ideas out there why? Edit - suspect the overclock as playing nicely with just XMP)

Geekbench Multicore results seem to have risen (Auto OC to 4.6) - which is odd:

4.6 OC OSX was 5756 | 19224 now 5165 | 20788

Weird but 4.5 OC OSX = 5243 | 21030

and no OC in OSX now = 5444 | 19202 - crazy

4.6 OC Win10 gets = 5960 | 20650

Last edited:
I upgraded my BIOS to F22 (I'm on a Z170X-Gaming 6) and updated to Sierra.

After the BIOS update I did have to change all of the Hackintosh settings back as the upgrade seems to have set me back to default. I have the option to save profiles, but when I applied the backup profile there were still some settings set to the default non-hackintosh-friendly value.

1) I updated to the latest version of Clover - make sure that you update the App and the EFI (In Clover go to "Install/Update Clover", Check, then Install).
2) I then created a backup using Carbon Copy.
3) I went ahead and downloaded the latest NVidia and CUDA drivers so I'd have them available.
4) I copied all the necessary .kexts from /Library/Extensions over to EFI/Clover/kexts/Other. I looked for updates for those kexts as well, and replaced them as necessary - FakeSMC and IntelMausiEthernet. It may have been easier to run MultiBeast first since it has the latest greatest version of the .kexts, but I didn't think about it at the time.
5) I started the Sierra Upgrade directly from the App Store. The entire upgrade took ~20 minutes.
6) The nVidia drivers updated themselves and rebooted the system.
7) Upon reboot I got the dreaded nVidia Black Screen.. I rebooted and added "nv_disable=1" to the Clover config.
7) Upon reboot i did NOT have hardware acceleration. I attempted to run AGDPfix (link) but got the "You must disable SIP" error.
8) To disable SIP: run Clover -> Rt Variables. At the top, set BooterConfig to 0x28 and CsrActiveConfig to 0x67 Save, then reboot.
9) The system booted and I remembered to add "nv_disable=1" to the Clover config
10) Upon reboot I was able to run AGDPfix - takes about 1 minute to run..I thought it was frozen, but it eventually responded and told me to reboot.
11) The system came up without needing "nv_disable=1" - but there was no hardware acceleration. I noticed that in the nVidia menubar list, OS X Default graphics was selected. I chose nVidia, put in the admin password and it told me to reboot. Upon reboot I had the same situation - OS X Default graphics was selected. I tried to select nVidia again and upon reboot it was back to OS X Default. I googled around and found that Gigabyte 1xx boards don't have nvram, and the video driver selection was supposed to be stored in nvram (NOTE: I never had this issue in el cap). You have to re-install Clover using the "Customize" button and follow these directions (link)
12) I rebooted, when the system came up there was still no HW acceleration. I switched from OS X Default to nVidia, put in my admin passwd and rebooted...... and it worked! I had HW acceleration.
10) I noticed that my sound didn't work. I ran the clover_ALC120.command (link). Chose option 3 (the default) and rebooted. I could now see my monitors speakers, but I use SPDIF to a receiver for my sound. After reading a few forums I decided to install Multibeast and only installed the ALC1150 and 100/200 Board drivers. I rebooted. I could hear music from iTunes!! I could NOT, however, get surround sound out to my speakers from Kodi. I opened Audio Midi Setup, right clicked on "Built-in Digital Output" and chose "Use this device for sound output" and "Play alerts through this device". I opened up Kodi, played a file with DTS sound - BAM, Surround Sound!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back