Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Skylake NUC6 (and Skull Canyon) using Clover UEFI (NUC6i5SYK, NUC6i7KYK, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RehabMan Are you seeing the same artifacting/flickering with the kext patch from Pike R. Alpha?
Does hotplug work for you?

@RehabMan Are you seeing the same artifacting/flickering with the kext patch from Pike R. Alpha?
Does hotplug work for you?

No artifacting, using iMac17,1. Can't tell if Pike's patch is doing anything. Hotplug still not working.
I'm keeping my eye out for the temporary loss of signal.

You should probably post "Problem Reporting" files (sounds like you broke something).

Still happening with iMac17,1, so the problem is not SMBIOS related. I think it is a hardware/cabling issue.

Still happening with iMac17,1, so the problem is not SMBIOS related. I think it is a hardware/cabling issue.

I'm starting to think it is heat related. Bumped up my fan speed settings and will see what happens...

To finish the setup, we need a correctly patched ACPI.

For the NUC6, in Terminal:
For the NUC6 Skull Canyon, in Terminal:
The 'make' causes the patched files to be compiled (with iasl), the results placed in ./build.

Finally, 'make install' (or 'make install_sc'), mounts the EFI partition, and copies the built files where they can be loaded by Clover (to EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched).

This is just a word of warning when you do this step on an update, any custom "SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml" file will be deleted from the EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched folder. You will need to copy in your special-saved-custom version that you spent all that time creating.

NOTE: Make sure you have a spare copy of it somewhere safe for later use.

I'm starting to think it is heat related. Bumped up my fan speed settings and will see what happens...

When you say loss of signal, are you referring to a short period when the screen goes black, say a couple of seconds and then the signal returns. If so I still see this over DP (only) to my 4k monitor. I can repeat this fairly readily when running the display at 2560X1440 @60Hz (HiDPI). Pretty sure it is intense graphic activity causing it. I cant repeated over HDMI, but HDMI is limited to refresh of 30Hz.

When you say loss of signal, are you referring to a short period when the screen goes black, say a couple of seconds and then the signal returns. If so I still see this over DP (only) to my 4k monitor. I can repeat this fairly readily when running the display at 2560X1440 @60Hz (HiDPI). Pretty sure it is intense graphic activity causing it. I cant repeated over HDMI, but HDMI is limited to refresh of 30Hz.

Yes... but when it occurs there is no "intense graphic activity". And my monitor is a 2560x1600 U3011 connected via DP (the only way to get that resolution with this monitor).

Interestingly, today when I turn off my monitor and turn it back on... that much is working. Unplugging and replugging still not working, so hotplug still broken... but shows that monitor off/on is somehow different than hot unplug/plug, at least with my monitor.

Also, I think I've seen the temporary loss of signal in Windows, so it may be a hardware/cabling issue I have. Unfortunately, I have only the one mini DP->DP cable right now. And I don't run Windows that often.

The problem did seem to go away for a while after changing the fan settings, but then it came back. Such is the nature of intermittent problems, you're never quite sure what is causing them, nor whether things you're changing are having any effect.

I tried 100% fan duty cycle, didn't fix the problem.

Strange that the symptoms are similar, though much less intense, to those described for the SC nuc with bad memory.
You wouldnt happen to have Corsair CMSO32GX4M2A2133C15 16 GB (2 x 32GB) 2133mhz memory would you?
https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000020648.html
According to Intel, its known to have "instability, monitor flickering, monitor blanking."

I was wondering if it might be a memory related issue, but don't want to waste £50 on a hunch.

I tried 100% fan duty cycle, didn't fix the problem.

Strange that the symptoms are similar, though much less intense, to those described for the SC nuc with bad memory.

I was wondering if it might be a memory related issue, but don't want to waste £50 on a hunch.

I was thinking the same thing after I read the post on the memory. But my memory is from Intel's recommended list...

I'm trying another little experiment. Using FakePCIID to simulate it as HD540 (and using 0x19260002 which needs a patch for DP to work with this one)... will see what happens.

No artifacting, using iMac17,1. Can't tell if Pike's patch is doing anything. Hotplug still not working.

You should probably post "Problem Reporting" files (sounds like you broke something).

I dont get any artifacting before hotplug events. On initial boot, video and monitor is working perfectly.
Its only after a hotplug event such as wake from sleep or unplugging the DP cable do I get the flickering/artifacting. Before using the kext patch (https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2015/11/23/patching-applegraphicsdevicepolicy-kext/), I got a black screen when coming back from screen off or sleep.

I'll try to do some more digging on it soon. For now its at least working enough for me that I can get the computer back from sleep or monitor turning itself off. Then I just restart it to fix the flickering/artifacting. This is already a huge improvement for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back