Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Thanks again for the reply. Well at least when the final Catalina comes out tomorrow they presume those like yourself will post the EFI folder as you did in 901 I'll get it going eventually.
I'll follow a Catalina Guide. I'm guessing kexts will be the same or does EVERYTHING CHANGE?
like do I need a new config.plist etc etc?
Tough to say, I had to use a different config.plist but everything else stayed the same. I ended up adopting the same config.plist for Mojave.

[GUIDE] Installing 3rd Party Kexts - El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina
I found this helpful guide about moving kexts from EFI to system for better stability.

PROBLEM: audio dies when the NUC8 sleeps or shuts down. Have to unplug and replug HDMI cable to monitor/TV

I do hope this fixes the audio problem. Anyway for others moving kexts the GUIDE has some good info for those like me learning step by step new things.

QUESTION: As my problem is just the AUDIO not working without cable unplug and replug can I just move the one kext: "AppleALC.kext" to /system/library/extensions?

I might move the others later but being new to this one thing at a time.

IS Hackintool: A good way to install kexts to extensions folder as the guide suggests?

This being my first Hackintosh I made another newbie mistake thinking I could using finder move my kexts from the EFI partition to /system/library/extensions folder and it failed

Hackintool can be used to move kexts as can KextBeast which can be downloaded from this site (its a little easier). If you are going to move kexts move everything except for FakeSMC.kect.

Who will try Catelina GM ?
I will certainly try it on a second drive. @Leesureone has the latest beta 10 running on his main system. There was rumours that it would be released today but it now looks like the 7th it will be released to public.

I'm sure when @Leesureone gets his entertainment NUC8 up and running he he will post his EFI folder like he did in post 901 Mojave.

Sure glad your active in these forums Leesureone.

I have Catalina running in Fusion 10 VM to take a look at what it looks like.

Tough to say, I had to use a different config.plist but everything else stayed the same. I ended up adopting the same config.plist for Mojave.
Thanks for the advice once again. The guide mentioned
Will there be a new thread for Catalina or will it continue to used this. I read your post about trying to do new threads but as this guide comes out top in search engines it was useless everyone keeps coming back here.

Your Hackintoshing goes way back so anything you get working on your NUC8 we would appreciated any config.plist and EFI folders to try.

Hackintool can be used to move kexts as can KextBeast which can be downloaded from this site (its a little easier). If you are going to move kexts move everything except for FakeSMC.kect.
Yeah I'll have a look at both Hacktool and KextBeast. Both have examples of use in the Guide. It said KextBeast was legacy so I presumed "LEGACY" meant old MacOS before Mojave. Thanks for clarifying that it still works and is more simple than Hacktool

Who will try Catelina GM ?
I just installed the Catalina Beta version 10 on my NUC8i3 without changing anything and going the upgrade route. The only thing I see so far is HDMI sound is gone but haven't I haven't really tested anything else yet. Networking is intact, support for my 4k monitor is there. Sound is still there via internal speakers (I think I can reinstall the FakePCID kexts to enable HDMI sound again). Testing sleep/wake now.
Edit: Confirmed Sleep/ Wake working. I had some flashing on the screen after the second wake, will continue to monitor. Fixed HDMI sound by adding back the FakePCID and FakeHDMIsound kexts by Rehabman. Probably just need a different DeviceID for Catalina to allow it to work without them.

Last edited:
Leesureone you are a legend. Look forward to what you work out. You seem to be the most active and knowlegable in this forum so thanks for the help keep us informed. When you get your EFI worked out would appreicate you posting it even if it is early days.

I just installed the Catalina Beta version 10 on my NUC8i3 without changing anything and going the upgrade route. The only thing I see so far is HDMI sound is gone but haven't I haven't really tested anything else yet. Networking is intact, support for my 4k monitor is there. Sound is still there via internal speakers (I think I can reinstall the FakePCID kexts to enable HDMI sound again). Testing sleep/wake now.
Edit: Confirmed Sleep/ Wake working. I had some flashing on the screen after the second wake, will continue to monitor. Fixed HDMI sound by adding back the FakePCID and FakeHDMIsound kexts by Rehabman. Probably just need a different DeviceID for Catalina to allow it to work without them.
So that would mean we would be able to just update mojave to catelina from within macos? Would be great!

I have updated my Mojave installed to GM Seed and everything is working, including HDMI sound. NUC8i7BEH here.

Back