Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

A few hoops to jump through with bios revisions and system definitions for sure.
Really? I'm not sure it's that easy to deal with Iris Plus 655 in Sierra. My experience tells me it's hardly possible.

Really? I'm not sure it's that easy to deal with Iris Plus 655 in Sierra. My experience tells me it's hardly possible.
I could be wrong but I think you can spoof the device ID like we used to have to do with Kaby Lake processors. Again wondering why he wants to go that route at all.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone helping on this (esp Leesureone for the EFI folder). Everything is working as expected by just copying the EFI folder after the Mojave install (no Multibeast). I just used EFI Mounter V3 and copied the EFI folder from message #901. It also booted correctly from the hard drive without the USB drive attached (and I'm dual-booting this NUC with Win10).

One last question, does HDMI sound work with this setup? When I looked at Mojave's sound output choices, it listed either internal speaker (none on a NUC) and AirPlay devices in my home (not practical for the NUC). If no HDMI sound, i'll go look for a tiny usb or headphone jack speaker, but HDMI sound would make it even easier. Thanks again to all the folks here that worked on Mojave on NUCs!

I'm catching up on reading. Good to hear my suggestion of just copying the EFI folder from post 901 worked. No MulitBeast install needed. That's how I did it.

You already got your sound question answered too. Glad your system is all working.

It could be possible but why would you want to? A few hoops to jump through with bios revisions and system definitions for sure. Older software to accomadate?

I could be wrong but I think you can spoof the device ID like we used to have to do with Kaby Lake processors. Again wondering why he wants to go that route at all.

Yes, its an older software which runs only on Sierra or older. I was confident as the original post (#1) was talking of installing Sierra on an NUC7 and NUC8. Do you have a hint which device id it is?

Yes, its an older software which runs only on Sierra or older. I was confident as the original post (#1) was talking of installing Sierra on an NUC7 and NUC8. Do you have a hint which device id it is?
I can't say without looking into it in detail what the correct device ID would be but you have a couple of options you can persue. I think you can follow the original instructions posted by Rehabman for Sierra to create the installer with one caveat. Because you updated your bios you will need to add the RTC fix to your config.plist.

You can do that with Xcode or Clover Configurator, otherwise you won't be able to boot (you can also try and downgrade the bios to 54 or lower but there are lots of stories for users who haven't been been able to make that work).
See here for how to do that with clover configurator. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-intel-nuc7-nuc8-using-clover-uefi-nuc7i7bxx-nuc8i7bxx-etc.261711/post-1969951

Here is what is looks like in Xcode, you can copy the DDST patch from my EFI config.plist in post 901 and add it to Rehabman's that will download via his Github script.

RTC Fix.png

The other thing you may have to fool with is the actual Device ID if the above method fails to boot or display. I would use Hackintool being there is reasonable documentation relevant to processors and symbioses but you will have to do some research and could end up going down the rabbit hole.

Last edited:
I can't say without looking into it in detail what the correct device ID would be but you have a couple of options you can persue. I think you can follow the original instructions posted by Rehabman for Sierra to create the installer with one caveat. Because you updated your bios you will need to add the RTC fix to your config.plist.

You can do that with Xcode or Clover Configurator, otherwise you won't be able to boot (you can also try and downgrade the bios to 54 or lower but there are lots of stories for users who haven't been been able to make that work).
See here for how to do that with clover configurator. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-intel-nuc7-nuc8-using-clover-uefi-nuc7i7bxx-nuc8i7bxx-etc.261711/post-1969951

Here is what is looks like in Xcode, you can copy the DDST patch from my EFI config.plist in post 901 and add it to Rehabman's that will download via his Github script.

View attachment 428462

The other thing you may have to fool with is the actual Device ID if the above method fails to boot or display. I would use Hackintool being there is reasonable documentation relevant to processors and symbioses but you will have to do some research and could end up going down the rabbit hole.

I'm learning more and more that this Hackintosh thing is really really complicated. I would have presumed that older Mac OS X would be easier to run as Apple adds more and more things to make things not work with time.

It seems from what you said that this is not the case. I have been trying to install Mojave on a Dell XPS L521x 2012. I thought as it was old and there are guides around that it would be easy but not the case. I'm learning more and more and thankful that what I have now is rock solid.

I wonder how our NUC8's will go with Catalina. Anyone been playing with beta on a spare hard drive?

I'm learning more and more that this Hackintosh thing is really really complicated. I would have presumed that older Mac OS X would be easier to run as Apple adds more and more things to make things not work with time.

It seems from what you said that this is not the case. I have been trying to install Mojave on a Dell XPS L521x 2012. I thought as it was old and there are guides around that it would be easy but not the case. I'm learning more and more and thankful that what I have now is rock solid.

I wonder how our NUC8's will go with Catalina. Anyone been playing with beta on a spare hard drive?
I'm running it on my Gigabyte main system and so far beta 10 is fine. I'm fairly certain it will run on our NUCs as well but you can always wait for the community to test it out.

[GUIDE] Installing 3rd Party Kexts - El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina
I found this helpful guide about moving kexts from EFI to system for better stability.

PROBLEM: audio dies when the NUC8 sleeps or shuts down. Have to unplug and replug HDMI cable to monitor/TV

I do hope this fixes the audio problem. Anyway for others moving kexts the GUIDE has some good info for those like me learning step by step new things.

QUESTION: As my problem is just the AUDIO not working without cable unplug and replug can I just move the one kext: "AppleALC.kext" to /system/library/extensions?

I might move the others later but being new to this one thing at a time.

IS Hackintool: A good way to install kexts to extensions folder as the guide suggests?

This being my first Hackintosh I made another newbie mistake thinking I could using finder move my kexts from the EFI partition to /system/library/extensions folder and it failed

Attachments

• Terminal error message when rebuilding cache.png
    Terminal error message when rebuilding cache.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
I'm running it on my Gigabyte main system and so far beta 10 is fine. I'm fairly certain it will run on our NUCs as well but you can always wait for the community to test it out.
Thanks again for the reply. Well at least when the final Catalina comes out tomorrow they presume those like yourself will post the EFI folder as you did in 901 I'll get it going eventually.
I'll follow a Catalina Guide. I'm guessing kexts will be the same or does EVERYTHING CHANGE?
like do I need a new config.plist etc etc?

Back