Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

care to share about what exactly has changed for hdmi audio?

so If I would were to use your EFI, it’s just a matter of mounting the EFI partition with CC and replace the full content? (I have copied my kexts to L/E btw)

also what is the best way to backup your full drive in case something would go wrong?
If you have your kexts installed in L/E then it will be a different process for you. (Fyi, you may not even need to take the next steps after the upgrade to Catalina). There are virtually no changes to the EFI folder I uploaded for Catalina compared to the previous version. The only difference is the addition of FakePCIID.kext and it’s sister kext FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext. Both are courtesy of Rehabman and can be downloaded from his Github page. The are also included in my EFI kext folder. I suggest you use a kext installer to install both of them to L/E if you lose HDMI sound after the upgrade.

Ok thank you. I will wait for catelina to be available via macos update.

a totally unrelated question:I use a 4K monitor (LG 27UK850) and I’m wondering if anybody else notices that the launchpad framerate is quite low? I’m expecting the Iris Plus to be more then capable to have a fluent animation opening launchpad? I’m wondering if anybody else noticed this?

I’m my continuous effort to understand all of it I was also reading about SMBIOS and when searching for the the NUC8’s cpu (i7-8559u) there’s only one mac that has it and it’s the 13” macbook pro 2018. So I’m wondering if it’s not better to configure our systems as such iso mac mini 2018 (which has 6 cores and only an intel iris 630).

let me know what you think!

Ok thank you. I will wait for catelina to be available via macos update.

a totally unrelated question:I use a 4K monitor (LG 27UK850) and I’m wondering if anybody else notices that the launchpad framerate is quite low? I’m expecting the Iris Plus to be more then capable to have a fluent animation opening launchpad? I’m wondering if anybody else noticed this?

I’m my continuous effort to understand all of it I was also reading about SMBIOS and when searching for the the NUC8’s cpu (i7-8559u) there’s only one mac that has it and it’s the 13” macbook pro 2018. So I’m wondering if it’s not better to configure our systems as such iso mac mini 2018 (which has 6 cores and only an intel iris 630).

let me know what you think!
The NUC8 i7 have 4 cores but 8 threads. The Macmini with an i7 has 6 cores but is a straight six threads. Take your pick of Symbioses, sign out of iCloud and make the change and see if it helps. That’s what this is all about...

Attachments

• F7645302-F3B0-48C5-9DEA-42751A25785D.png
    F7645302-F3B0-48C5-9DEA-42751A25785D.png
    668.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 1E61B7CF-997B-4D0C-9EF3-0D046A1F1FA9.png
    1E61B7CF-997B-4D0C-9EF3-0D046A1F1FA9.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 48
The NUC8 i7 have 4 cores but 8 threads. The Macmini with an i7 has 6 cores but is a straight six threads. Take your pick of Symbioses, sign out of iCloud and make the change and see if it helps. That’s what this is all about...
This is actually only true for the mac mini i3 and i5. The i7 does support hyper threading and thus has 12 threads:
A note for the technically minded: The Core i3 model that we tested doesn't offer either Turbo Boost of Hyper-Threading technology. If you upgrade to a Core i5 model, you'll get Turbo Boost, which lets the clock speed ramp up for short bursts. If you opt for the Core i7 model, you'll get both Turbo Boost and Hyper-Threading for more multithread capability.

This is actually only true for the mac mini i3 and i5. The i7 does support hyper threading and thus has 12 threads:
A note for the technically minded: The Core i3 model that we tested doesn't offer either Turbo Boost of Hyper-Threading technology. If you upgrade to a Core i5 model, you'll get Turbo Boost, which lets the clock speed ramp up for short bursts. If you opt for the Core i7 model, you'll get both Turbo Boost and Hyper-Threading for more multithread capability.
You should probably give credit to the quote you pasted into your reply. Verbatim according to Tom's guide review of the 2018 Macmini. I thought PC magazine said it didn't support hyper threading but there you go. What Symbios are you going to use now? My little i3 opens launch pad app fast and smooth, your issue does sound display output related.
HYper.png

Last edited:
Hey man, did you eventually got to solve this one? I also still experience loss of sound after a reboot etc. Reinsterting the usb-c cable and then the sound is back. Quite annoying..

I also tried a (high quality) hdmi cable, but then my monitor (LG 27UK850) doesn't even show up in the sound output.
Edit: I now have sound with the hdmi cable. Let me monitor if the sound drops..
Hi HedgeHog2k, No haven't fixed the audio problem yet. The solution I am yet to try is to move the all kexts except for FakeSMC.kext from the EFI kexts/other folder to system/library/extensions which is part of the Mojave installation itself.

That is where Mojave keeps all it's drivers/kexts for everything normally. From what I have read drivers in the extensions folder is kept in protected memory.

If that doesn't work an updated Audio kext maybe don't know. Cable isn't the problem as you suggest. Something buggy in the kext not loading after sleep is my guess.

The thing that confuses me is how others don't have the problem and they are using the SAME post 901 folder as us.

I'll be sure to post a resolution if I find one.

Not exactly a legend but glad to contribute where I can, thanks for the good words! I posted Updated EFI folders just now on page 91 post 901. Ready for Catalina Beta!
Thanks so much I'm going to upgrade to Catalina GM seed 1 right now to see how it goes so perfect timing. Would you mind telling me what you changed to make it work.
I know you spoke that you might need to change the DEVICE ID etc. Nice to learn from you. Thanks for being generous with SHARING your EFI folders with the community Leesureone.

EDIT: I just read all the new posts and see you HAVE ALREADY EXPLAINED YOUR CHANGES SO THANKS. I'll update to your EFI folder now. Good news is it might fix my HDMI audio problem with the changes you have made.

So if I update to Catalina GM seed 1 it will eventually be able to install the Final GM I'm guessing. About to find out I guess. I have a backup of Mojave on external USB SSD drive also so safe.

Last edited:
If you have your kexts installed in L/E then it will be a different process for you. (Fyi, you may not even need to take the next steps after the upgrade to Catalina). There are virtually no changes to the EFI folder I uploaded for Catalina compared to the previous version. The only difference is the addition of FakePCIID.kext and it’s sister kext FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext. Both are courtesy of Rehabman and can be downloaded from his Github page. The are also included in my EFI kext folder. I suggest you use a kext installer to install both of them to L/E if you lose HDMI sound after the upgrade.

Leesureone: I have downloaded your NEW catalina updated EFI zip file and edited the config.plist to match my SMBIOS eg changed Serial Number and SmUIID number to match my exisiting details.

Can I ask why you say to log out of ICLOUD BEFORE UPGRADING TO CATALINA?

Leesureone: I have downloaded your NEW catalina updated EFI zip file and edited the config.plist to match my SMBIOS eg changed Serial Number and SmUIID number to match my exisiting details.

Can I ask why you say to log out of ICLOUD BEFORE UPGRADING TO CATALINA?
Only if you were going to change your symbios/ serial number too but you're not. You should be fine.

Once question @Leesureone, I have a NUC7i5DNK with old Rehabman files working fine in Mojave 10.4.6. Do you recommend me migrate to your EFI files in order to be prepared for Catalina release? Does It work for gen 7 nuc? Thank you!

Back