Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Last week or so I purchased an NUC8I5BEK, Quad Core and equipped it with a Samsung Evo 970 and 8GB of RAM. Sad thing the Wi-Fi module is soldered but I booted from a High Sierra backup of my Envy, where I still don't use Lilu and WEG and right off it booted nicely and almost with no hassle. But it gets even better, my Thunderbolt 2 dock gets awakened when connected to the USB-C port through the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to TB2 adapter. Everything works in the dock, Ethernet, HDMI, USB and audio.

Does this mean Thunderbolt is working? I didn't try the hotplugging...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 18.45.59.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 18.45.59.png
    170 KB · Views: 112
Last week or so I purchased an NUC8I5BEK, Quad Core and equipped it with a Samsung Evo 970 and 8GB of RAM. Sad thing the Wi-Fi module is soldered but I booted from a High Sierra backup of my Envy, where I still don't use Lilu and WEG and right off it booted nicely and almost with no hassle. But it gets even better, my Thunderbolt 2 dock gets awakened when connected to the USB-C port through the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to TB2 adapter. Everything works in the dock, Ethernet, HDMI, USB and audio.

Does this mean Thunderbolt is working? I didn't try the hotplugging...

It it typical. If you plug a TB in prior to boot, the TB controller activates and works. Problems come in with hotplug.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Also, post photos of all your BIOS setup screens.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've attached my CLOVER folder (sans themes of course) and the screenshots from the BIOS. I'm not able to retrieve any logging from the system as it makes past the verbose loading screen to the language selection page then just black screens and reboots with no output (even with the clover options to do so and the kernel panic printing patches removed from config.plist). Let me know if there's anything else I should send.

Thanks again for the help.

Attachments

• clover.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 72
  • screenshots.zip
    870 KB · Views: 64
It it typical. If you plug a TB in prior to boot, the TB controller activates and works. Problems come in with hotplug.

The Dell XPS guys got their ports to hotplug and I was able to follow their work and get my MSI's port to hotplug as well. If this is an Alpine or Titan Ridge controller, the same patches should work. I can try it once I get booted, assuming you haven't already attempted this.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've attached my CLOVER folder (sans themes of course) and the screenshots from the BIOS. I'm not able to retrieve any logging from the system as it makes past the verbose loading screen to the language selection page then just black screens and reboots with no output (even with the clover options to do so and the kernel panic printing patches removed from config.plist). Let me know if there's anything else I should send.

Thanks again for the help.

Booting into single user mode and exiting worked around the language page reboots I was always seeing

Probably. But I can live with it, it's not a laptop...

I'm not sure what laptop vs. desktop has to do with it.
The TB problems are the same either way.

The Dell XPS guys got their ports to hotplug and I was able to follow their work and get my MSI's port to hotplug as well. If this is an Alpine or Titan Ridge controller, the same patches should work. I can try it once I get booted, assuming you haven't already attempted this.

I have no TB devices to test with. No real need to purchase any either.

I'm not sure what laptop vs. desktop has to do with it.
The TB problems are the same either way.

Speaking of, any clue why I cant boot with USB Enabled on a TB card?

Back