Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Which brand and models of NVME drives are you using on your successful NUC8 hackintoshes?

I'm using a WD Black NVMe. Low level formatted for 4k LBA in Linux (it comes as 512 LBA).

The 2nd thing that comes to mind is that somehow bios was corrupted when upgrading and it cannot overwrite certain values even if using recovery bios mode (by removing the jumper and upgrading with .bio file).

Sounds like that may be the real problem.

PS. Sorry if this sounds as off-topic, but i believe this can be a valid troubleshooting scenario that has to be included in the guide if it proves true

No idea what you mean.

Sounds like that may be the real problem.

We will have conclusive evidence on Friday when I test with a 970 evo. Its either that 950 pro is freezing the boot process because it contains legacy rom or that bios was corrupted.

We will have conclusive evidence on Friday when I test with a 970 evo. Its either that 950 pro is freezing the boot process because it contains legacy rom or that bios was corrupted.

FYI: I have quit purchasing Samsung NVMe SSDs due to the fact they cannot be changed to 4k LBA.

You can use a USB BT device (don't forget to disable the onboard BT). Refer to the buyer's guide.
For WiFi, there are some USB WiFi adapters that work with macOS, but I don't use them, and can't make any recommendation.

Fortunately, this is a desktop computer, so we can use Ethernet for internet connectivity.

You should expect that the scaled resolutions you mention are a bit slower than native resolution, as those resolutions have an extra scaling step. For example, 2560x1440 is rendered at 5120x2880 then scaled to native 3840x2160. It is that extra scaling step that extracts a performance penalty (as is mentioned by Apple in SysPrefs->Display for those selections).

Best to stick with native resolution, or a 2x resolution such as 1920x1080 for your scenario. IMO, this makes large 4k monitors a bit of a mismatch. I'd tend to stick with a 4k monitor that would be comfortable to use at 1080p HiDPI, such as a 4k 24" monitor.
Thanks for the fast response! I just read the post #1 again and saw that you mentioned the NUC7i7DNKE which has an additional M.2 2230 for the Broadcom BCM943252Z. I'm so mad at myself that I didn't read that in the first place. There is also NUC7i7DNHE which has an extra 2.5 SATA3 port which is great. So, I probably will return my NUC8.

That's interesting! I saw the note in the SysPrefs but I didn't know about the extra scaling step.

You're right! For this reason, Apple sells 27'' at max with iMacs.

Thanks for the fast response! I just read the post #1 again and saw that you mentioned the NUC7i7DNKE which has an additional M.2 2230 for the Broadcom BCM943252Z. I'm so mad at myself that I didn't read that in the first place. There is also NUC7i7DNHE which has an extra 2.5 SATA3 port which is great. So, I probably will return my NUC8.

That's interesting! I saw the note in the SysPrefs but I didn't know about the extra scaling step.

You're right! For this reason, Apple sells 27'' at max with iMacs.

The NUC7 "Dawson Canyon" models are a good choice for those that want supported PCIe WiFi. One thing to keep in mind with those models though is that they do not have analog audio ports. HDMI audio only. Of course, if you really needed analog audio with those models, you could use a Mac compatible USB audio device.

I tried to put in my nuc an ssd with windows and load the driver for the bluetooth chip...

and it worked, after removing it stopped working again...

Now i want to try but maye in this way i can solve the thunderbolt problem ...

and if yes i'll dual boot on a 15gb partition for use those interfaces

Hi, since this afternoon my Nuc boot faster than before without changing anything.
From the moment i hit start button to Reach OSX i wait 20s it's fantastic!!!

Back