Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Framebuffer patching using WhateverGreen

Hello everyone,

I'm facing issue enabling this graphics acceleration. i5-8400 and uhd 630 on a Desktop configuration.

I changed SMBIOS to Macbook Pro 15,2 since I don't have an extra GPU.

I tried adding properties on devices/properties but the result is that I can't boot my OS (so for now I disabled them).

As I can understand there's no need to INJECT INTEL and set fake-id or ig-platform-id since it should be natively supported.

OS Version 10.13.6.

Attaching my report using your great tool.

Any help is really appreciated. Thank you everyone.
When you say you can't boot your OS after you add properties to <devices>, do you mean that your HDMI/DVI ports don't activate, hence black screen?

When you say you can't boot your OS after you add properties to <devices>, do you mean that your HDMI/DVI ports don't activate, hence black screen?

Sorry if I was being unclear. Yes, it gets stuck during the apple loading and I get blank screen (NO HDMI SIGNAL).

I'd like to add my properties again but I'm not sure of what data I should put at this point for my configuration. I'd also like to use the Arbitrary method.

I tried with "slide=0" but still no success booting. I found out that if I use "-igfxnohdmi", It passes this step (plus signs) but finally results in kernel panic.
Another question: In the first post guide it says to remove "IntelGraphicsFixup.kext", but what about "IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.kext"?
Should I use it in combination of this thread's patch in order to get a working patch or eliminate it?

For me, this thread's patch (in config.plist/Devices/Properties) does not have any effect and won't patch DVMT-prealloc because in every try, it finally results in kernel panic. Any ideas?
I wonder if your problem is due to the Nvidia GTX 950. Have you tried enabling "nv_disable" to bypass that card?

Sorry if I was being unclear. Yes, it gets stuck during the apple loading and I get blank screen (NO HDMI SIGNAL).

I'd like to add my properties again but I'm not sure of what data I should put at this point for my configuration. I'd also like to use the Arbitrary method.
Your motherboard has one HDMI and one DVI port. You may have to modify connector settings because by default MacOS thinks all of your connectors are DisplayPorts if you're using Platform ID 0x3E9B0007.

The procedure described in my General Framebuffer Patching Guide for Black Screen may be difficult in your case because you have neither a discrete GPU nor a DisplayPort connection.

In this case it becomes a guessing game, but an educated guessing game.

Please review the general procedure in that link and try the following connector settings:

Index 1, BusID 0x04, Pipe 18, Type HDMI
Index 2, BusID 0x02, Pipe 18, Type HDMI
Index 3, BusID 0x00, Pipe 0, Type DUMMY
Index -1, BusID 0x00, Pipe 0, Type DUMMY

Save these settings to your config.plist and reboot. Then try unplugging and re-plugging the HDMI cable. If HDMI does not turn on, then boot from USB install disk and try the next set of settings:

Index 1, BusID 0x02, Pipe 18, Type HDMI
Index 2, BusID 0x04, Pipe 18, Type HDMI

And if this also fails, then try this:

Index 1, BusID 0x01, Pipe 18, Type HDMI
Index 3, BusID 0x04, Pipe 18, Type HDMI

Your motherboard has one HDMI and one DVI port. You may have to modify connector settings because by default MacOS thinks all of your connectors are DisplayPorts if you're using Platform ID 0x3E9B0007.

The procedure described in my General Framebuffer Patching Guide for Black Screen may be difficult in your case because you have neither a discrete GPU nor a DisplayPort connection.

Please review the general procedure in that link and try the following connector settings:

Save these settings to your config.plist and reboot. Then try unplugging and re-plugging the HDMI cable. If HDMI does not turn on, then boot from USB install disk and try the next set of settings:

I'll try this method shortly. Just a quick info. Should I add again the properties under Devices/Properties in config.plist before using your method or not?

I'll try this method shortly. Just a quick info. Should I add again the properties under Devices/Properties in config.plist before using your method or not?
This method uses Hackintool to generate the framebuffer settings. Hackintool will add all settings to Devices/Properties when you select the File --> Export --> Clover config.plist option as described in the Guide.

So you don't have to worry about manually entering anything for Devices/Properties.

This method uses Hackintool to generate the framebuffer settings. Hackintool will add all settings to Devices/Properties when you select the File --> Export --> Clover config.plist option as described in the Guide.

So you don't have to worry about manually entering anything for Devices/Properties.

I'm trying the method right now. I'll keep you updated. Meanwhile I selected as PlatformID on Hackintool 0x3EA50009 because it's Macbook Pro 15,2 which is the SMBIOS I chose. Even though framebuffer info says Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 (mobile). Hope it's correct.

Last edited:

Done. I changed with the first set of parameters you sent me and it booted through HDMI but graphics acceleration is still not enabled. What could be the issue?

EDIT: I noticed in Hackintool that under System Info there's an entry called IntelGen that displays ??? . Should it display Coffee Lake? Also, I'm not sure if the SMBIOS i chose is correct becuase on the internet it says that that model has a iris gpu, not uhd 630. Another thing. I'm not sure of what Platform ID i should pick on Hackintool.

There's some confusion here I hope you can help me with. What a newbie I am >.<

Done. I changed with the first set of parameters you sent me and it booted through HDMI but graphics acceleration is still not enabled. What could be the issue?

EDIT: I noticed in Hackintool that under System Info there's an entry called IntelGen that displays ??? . Should it display Coffee Lake? Also, I'm not sure if the SMBIOS i chose is correct becuase on the internet it says that that model has a iris gpu, not uhd 630. Another thing. I'm not sure of what Platform ID i should pick on Hackintool.

There's some confusion here I hope you can help me with. What a newbie I am >.<
You should choose Platform ID 0x3E9B0007 because you have a desktop Coffee Lake CPU. For SMBIOS, try "Macmini8,1" if you have MacOS 10.14.1 or later. (Macmini8,1 will not work with MacOS 10.14.0.)

And you should select Device ID 0x3E9B from the Patch menu:
Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 12.15.02 PM.png
If first set of parameters does not work, then please try the next set...

You should choose Platform ID 0x3E9B0007 because you have a desktop Coffee Lake CPU. For SMBIOS, try "Macmini8,1" if you have MacOS 10.14.1 or later. (Macmini8,1 will not work with MacOS 10.14.0.)

If first set of parameters does not work, then please try the next set...

I've got 10.13.6 (17G2307), should I stick to MBP15,2 or switch to Macmini8,1?

Back