Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Framebuffer patching using WhateverGreen

@Humanate,

Correct, MacOS uses IQS for jpg and h.264 preview, among other things so if the IGPU is disabled then those features will not work.

Sleep/Wake issues are very common on older systems, I was never able to get sleep working correctly on my Z77, Z87 and Z97 systems.

Poor native DSDT & SSDT's are usually to blame, in some case's it's fixable by patching the _PWR method for the device thats causing the issue, I tried many times but was never successful. In the end I just gave up and power the machines down when not in use.

Sorry I cant be of any more help on that issue.

Cheers
Jay
OK, I appreciate it. I thought I would try one more thing which was to enter the patch text into my config.plist. I am using BBEdit and trying to enter here:
Screenshot 2019-08-01 at 14.52.20.png

It is doing my brain in, whatever I do I get errors. I'm not a coder but I can copy and paste or so I thought. Spent hours trying, just get errors In my config.plist with BBEdit under these lines:

<key>Devices</key>
<dict>

I am adding

<key>Properties</key>
<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
<data>
BAASBA==
</data>
<key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
<string>Internal</string>
<key>device-id</key>
<data>
EgQAAA==
</data>
<key>device_type</key>
<string>VGA compatible controller</string>
<key>hda-gfx</key>
<string>onboard-1</string>
<key>model</key>
<string>Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller</string>
</dict>

But it wont work, I dont know what I'm doing wrong. I've added my config.plist and the patch text just in case you were in a super generous mood? Perhaps you could tell the noob what he is doing wrong also?

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 54
I Have i5 Broadwell HP PAVILION 17's Intel HD 5500 on Mojave 10.14.1. None of these Patches worked for me... Am just now, lil bit desperated..
Any Solution ? Here my Config.plist

Attachments

• config.plist
    19.1 KB · Views: 62
@Humanate,
Sleep/Wake issues are very common on older systems, I was never able to get sleep working correctly on my Z77, Z87 and Z97 systems.
@jaymonkey - ignore post #946 from me

I experimented and found a solution I think. In Bios I changed the "Intel Processor Graphics Memory Allocation" from the max 1024M to 512M and now sleep/wake works as expected.

It did cause a problem when booting Win10 via Clover but I disabled the IGFX in Windows Device manager and now working

I experimented and found a solution I think. In Bios I changed the "Intel Processor Graphics Memory Allocation" from the max 1024M to 512M and now sleep/wake works as expected.

@Humanate,

Glad you got your systems sleep working ...

FYI:

Allocating memory to the IGPU when it is running as headless is simply a waste of memory that could be used by the OS. The IGPU only needs 64MB - 128MB in headless mode as there is no need for a display framebuffer (as there are no monitors connected to it) .

When the IGPU is configured as headless it is only used as a compute co-processor and for IQS so only needs 64MB to use as a buffer, MacOS will not use anything larger than 128MB.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@Humanate,

Glad you got your systems sleep working ...

FYI:

Allocating memory to the IGPU when it is running as headless is simply a waste of memory that could be used by the OS. The IGPU only needs 64MB - 128MB in headless mode as there is no need for a display framebuffer (as there are no monitors connected to it) .

When the IGPU is configured as headless it is only used as a compute co-processor and for IQS so only needs 64MB to use as a buffer, MacOS will not use anything larger than 128MB.

Cheers
Jay
OK, last question from me. In BIOS I have two options:
Intel Processor Graphics Memory Allocation - now set to 128M
DVMT Total Memory Size - options are 128, 512 or Max - should I set this to 128M also?

Intel Processor Graphics Memory Allocation - now set to 128M
DVMT Total Memory Size - options are 128, 512 or Max - should I set this to 128M also?

Intel Processor Graphics Memory Allocation - now set to 128M. DVMT Total Memory Size - options are 128, 512 or Max - should I set this to 128M also?

@Humanate,

Set DVMT to 64MB if you have the option if not then 128MB ...

Cheers
Jay

*deleted*

Last edited:
I'm having some trouble getting more than one monitor to work at a time on my HD 530. My Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 motherboard has 3 outputs: HDMI, DVI, and DisplayPort. I would like to use all 3 at once (I have 3 monitors that can use these as inputs).

I have identified that physically these ports line up with the following IDs:
1: HDMI
2: DVI
3: DP

However, even after framebuffer patching, I cannot use more than one monitor at a time. I can use either HDMI or DVI (not both at the same time), and I cannot get the DP port to work at all.

In my BIOS I have configured the DVMT pre-allocated amount to 64M.

If anyone is able to help out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

(PS- had to add a bogus .txt extension for the AppleIntelFramebuffer file to upload.)

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Sam’s iMac.ioreg
    4.9 MB · Views: 67
  • Lilu_1.3.7_18.7.txt
    95.2 KB · Views: 126
  • AppleIntelFramebuffer_8_18.7.txt
    2.1 MB · Views: 75
May I ask for help?
I have EliteBook 850 G5 laptop connected to HP slim Dock that has 2 display ports.
I have pluged 2 displays in this ports and both working, but it look like only 1 display - in macOS settings I can see only internal laptop display and one external display (screen is mirrored on external display).

I using this patch:

Code:
<key>Properties</key>
        <dict>
            <key>PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x02,0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>framebuffer-con1-alldata</key>
                <data>
                AQUKAAAIAACHAQAAAgQKAAAIAACHAQAA
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con1-enable</key>
                <integer>1</integer>