Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Framebuffer patching using WhateverGreen

System Information as seen in the attached screenshot, there's no "Metal: supported" entry. CINEBENCH hangs for a few minutes then fails (also attached screenshot).

Weird. Is this on a clean install of macOS?

Weird. Is this on a clean install of macOS?

Not clean install, but everything was running fine with my old 7970 card, the only thing changed is the Vega 64.

From IORegistryExplorer, I can see the framebuffer is properly loaded, even the ports are correct. Somehow it just doesn't have acceleration. Disabling IGPU doesn't help either.

From IORegistryExplorer, I can see the framebuffer is properly loaded, even the ports are correct. Somehow it just doesn't have acceleration. Disabling IGPU doesn't help either.

I tried to turn on Inject Intel in Clover and injecting ig-platform-id 0x3E910003, both GPUs show up in System Information, with "Metal support" field available showing supported, but still there are screen artifacts, and anything that uses Metal (Chrome etc) will lead to a kernel panic and reboot.

Not clean install, but everything was running fine with my old 7970 card, the only thing changed is the Vega 64.

I tried to turn on Inject Intel in Clover and injecting ig-platform-id 0x3E910003, both GPUs show up in System Information, with "Metal support" field available showing supported, but still there are screen artifacts, and anything that uses Metal (Chrome etc) will lead to a kernel panic and reboot.

You should not see IGPU in System Information. Try 3E920003.

I suspect something was installed that's causing your problem. I would test a clean install and see if you have the same problem. If everything works well with a clean install, you know somethat that was installed is giving you problems. If you have the same problem, you know that it's a configuration issue and not macOS or software.

I suspect something was installed that's causing your problem. I would test a clean install and see if you have the same problem. If everything works well with a clean install, you know somethat that was installed is giving you problems. If you have the same problem, you know that it's a configuration issue and not macOS or software.

OK. I'll backup and clean install when I got time. Will report back, thanks!

Pretty much everything is working on my Dell XPS with Framebuffer patching using WhateverGreen, except the Displayport. this was working, but since using this method I get nothing out. I have tried using the FB Patcher with DP -> HDMI plist config, but still nothing. Any help would be very appreciated. I have attached debug logs.
Thanks.

Attachments

• debug_29489.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 59

It turns out, the boot argument "-xcpm" prevents AMDRadeonX5000_AMDVega10GraphicsAccelerator from loading, which results in no acceleration.

It turns out, the boot argument "-xcpm" prevents AMDRadeonX5000_AMDVega10GraphicsAccelerator from loading, which results in no acceleration.

I've never enabled that.

I've never enabled that.
Yes, I just noticed. It was a leftover argument that enabled native power management before 10.13, and since deprecated. I didn't think it would affect this but it did.

Thanks for your help!

Back